Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:29 pm

https://theathletic.com/news/aac-commissioner-conference-should-be-involved-in-pac-12-big-ten-acc-alliance/GZxZ6OZTAJ5e

AAC (and one-time, ever-so-briefly, Big East) Commish, Mike Aresco, is always good for an excellent soundbite.

"The Alliance, there's not much I want to say about it because I don't know what it is at this point," Aresco told The Athletic on Wednesday. "It's hard to tell what it is. But I can say this: This is exactly the kind of thing where we're not involved in that, and we should (be), in my view."

I don't know what THAT is, but I WANT it!

That's some good stuff right there.

In all seriousness, the AAC is about to get raided by at least one, probably three, members. The top of the college basketball mountain only separates even further (which would be beneficial to the Big East).
GoldenWarrior11

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:57 pm

What about going super duper big by adding gonzaga, wichita, saint louis, dayton and vcu?
NJRedman

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:27 am

NJRedman wrote:What about going super duper big by adding gonzaga, wichita, saint louis, dayton and vcu?

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby DeltaV » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:13 pm

Omaha1 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:What about going super duper big by adding gonzaga, wichita, saint louis, dayton and vcu?

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Can we get a running tally of how many times people have suggested adding Gonzaga?

What's the over/under? 5000 times?
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby adoraz » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:25 am

Gonzaga is the only team that'd raise our profile and per school payout. The other 4 would help in the short-term to get an extra couple bids per year, but long-term wouldn't be beneficial imo. The less bloat in our league, the better.

The biggest question to ask for any expansion team is whether they'd instantly become one of the best brands within the conference and thus raise our payouts. UConn did that. Gonzaga or Kansas would do that. Everyone else? Mid-tier at best. Wait for a team to dominate the A10 or AAC (basketball first schools like Wichita), then wait 5 more years, THEN consider inviting them.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby ArmyVet » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:05 am

jbarajas0490 wrote:I think the big12 adds Uconn and Houston. Does uconn have a buyout?

Big 12 is in discussions with BYU and UCF per twitter reports.
ArmyVet

Postby Cheech » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:28 pm

UConn does have a buyout. They remain determined to make football a financial success. They would take a bid from a Major Conference. There football program is a hard sell. They are not a top choice but we will have to see where the BIG 12 goes. The ACC will also have to make some moves. CBB best ratings and money making is really March. The crossover games that the Major conferences play in Feb have gotten very good ratings. So the sexy thing the last 5 years was to expand and play 20 conference games. Well it has not worked out for the Big Ten, we all saw the best Conference lay an egg in the NCAA and the excuse was we beat each other up in regular season. Look at the stats the BIG Ten always struggles in March. The answer and it can bring a Gonzaga in is less league games especially with conference Tourneys and more crossover games later in the season. Better ratings and a fresh look at the game for ratings and the teams. Imagine Nova vs Duke in Feb, ESPN etc would pay more for that game than a regular season conference game. The early season major matchups in Nov and the Holiday Tourneys draw better ratings than the Jan/Feb games. The next move for Major conferences in BB…less conference games and more National games. The NBA has shortened there season and soon will have a mid season tourney. It’s all about money. Basketball needsMarquee made for TV games. The 20 game and then beat the hell out of each other in Conference Tourney really makes no sense. Think about a 3 day weekend in Feb, Syracuse vs Georgetown.Butler vs Notre Dame. Etc…hook up with the ACC and make it fun…
Cheech

Postby DeltaV » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:37 pm

Double tap
Last edited by DeltaV on Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby DeltaV » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:47 pm

Cheech wrote:UConn does have a buyout. They remain determined to make football a financial success. They would take a bid from a Major Conference. There football program is a hard sell. They are not a top choice but we will have to see where the BIG 12 goes. The ACC will also have to make some moves. CBB best ratings and money making is really March. The crossover games that the Major conferences play in Feb have gotten very good ratings. So the sexy thing the last 5 years was to expand and play 20 conference games. Well it has not worked out for the Big Ten, we all saw the best Conference lay an egg in the NCAA and the excuse was we beat each other up in regular season. Look at the stats the BIG Ten always struggles in March. The answer and it can bring a Gonzaga in is less league games especially with conference Tourneys and more crossover games later in the season. Better ratings and a fresh look at the game for ratings and the teams. Imagine Nova vs Duke in Feb, ESPN etc would pay more for that game than a regular season conference game. The early season major matchups in Nov and the Holiday Tourneys draw better ratings than the Jan/Feb games. The next move for Major conferences in BB…less conference games and more National games. The NBA has shortened there season and soon will have a mid season tourney. It’s all about money. Basketball needsMarquee made for TV games. The 20 game and then beat the hell out of each other in Conference Tourney really makes no sense. Think about a 3 day weekend in Feb, Syracuse vs Georgetown.Butler vs Notre Dame. Etc…hook up with the ACC and make it fun…

Part of me wants to tell you to stop drinking, you sound crazy, but you have a point. Big games get big eyes. Holiday tournaments get pathetic in person viewership, but lots of tv eyes. ESPN's rivalry week used to be a thing as well, I even remember games like UPenn Drexel getting attention, you're right, big name games will be worth it

Almost like PPV fights. Would people pay money to watch Georgetown Syracuse as a single bill? What about a double header... Maybe Nova UNC followed up by Duke Michigan State? Fight cards bring in hundreds of millions of dollars. Maybe I need to lay off the booze... But I went to Nova, we all know that ain't going to happen :D
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby MullinMayhem » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:06 am

So it appears we are headed for B12 to raid the top AAC teams if not others. That essentially puts the final nail in AAC once Memphis, Houston, Cincy, UCF or most of them are gone. If that happens and it's essentially just the F5 and us as major conferences, does it not then make sense for say the ACC to just add Big East teams as basketball only affiliates? If the Big East is the last remaining power conference but just plays basketball and there's a huge drop after us in hoops, why wouldn't we be snatched up as well for hoops only?
MullinMayhem

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board