Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby adoraz » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:10 am

I don't think there's any chance of Kansas joining now, not while they have a TV contract paying out significantly more than the Big East's (due to football). Unless KU's football budget is in the red (including with the TV contract), then I don't see it happening for now.
Johnnies
adoraz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DeltaV » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:18 pm

adoraz wrote:I don't think there's any chance of Kansas joining now, not while they have a TV contract paying out significantly more than the Big East's (due to football). Unless KU's football budget is in the red (including with the TV contract), then I don't see it happening for now.

If there is any truth at all to this (which I'd have a hard time believing), it means the Big 12 is completely collapsing. The remaining teams may not be great, but I just don't see that happening...anyone have links to these rumors?

Also, they don't really have anything in common with us. I mean, they're a big state school in the midwest, and we're urban private schools in large cities (mainly in the east). UConn has history and geography with us, which is the only real reason they make sense (and, no offense, a lot of people wouldn't have been disappointed if they didn't rejoin). I just don't think I see it happening, and would be really strange if it did.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:12 pm

Plenty of discussion that the PAC12, B1G, and ACC are discussing an alliance. This would mean the Big 12 is left without a seat at the big boy table for college football. Kansas would have the option of joining the Mountain West or AAC in all sports or trying to figure out if a Big East option exists with independent football.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:45 pm

Football butters the bread for the football 5 conferences. KU hasn't had a productive football team in 10 years.
Why??? would any remaining football 4 want KU? KU brings nothing to the table football-wise. It would
be foolhardy for a major conference to pay Kansas $40-50M/year for just KU basketball. Basketball is a
$7-10M/year sport.

Let the B12 merge with thee AAC or MWC...they get to see how the majority of universities live - with much less than the Football 5.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby redmen9194 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:25 pm

There should be no Big East option for Kansas. We don't need them nor should we want them. What we have is working and working well.
redmen9194

Postby adoraz » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:44 pm

I think there's a decent chance Kansas eventually ends up in the Big East, years from now, but not anytime soon. The current Big XII teams have no reason to merge with the AAC or whatever and void their current TV contract (which runs through 2025). If anything, they will probably double down on staying because they now know ESPN's plan was to destroy the conference so Texas and OU could leave without paying the exit fee.

If any of the teams get an invite to a P5 (P4?) conference then they'll definitely take it and THAT could destroy the Big XII, but for now that hasn't happened. If the ACC, Pac 12 or Big Ten were in a rush to take a team I think it would've already happened. Nobody else comes close to the value of Texas or OU.

If Kansas becomes available then the Big East absolutely takes them. No questions asked, though do have them agree to the same exit fee that UConn did. This past year the Big East would've only had 2 at-large bids if not for UConn's inclusion (yes, it was a down year, but still). Imagine an alternative timeline where we become a 2 bid league and how much ESPN would pounce on that. When it happens to a conference like the Pac 12 (which it did a couple years ago), they are given the benefit of the doubt. We on the other hand are fighting against the Football 5/ESPN and are about to sign a new TV deal. We need to make sure we always have a seat at the table as one of the top conferences, and Kansas would ensure that.

All that said, we are good for now at 11. If Kansas becomes available then great, but otherwise I'm happy with our current makeup.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:37 am

adoraz wrote:
I think there's a decent chance Kansas eventually ends up in the Big East, years from now, but not anytime soon.

You need to think again, as Kansas is 100% committed to its big-time football program.

College football realignment fallout: What's next with Texas, Oklahoma stating intent to leave Big 12 for SEC - Dennis Dodd, CBS Sports - July 26, 2021
Look for the Big Ten to make some moves -- quickly -- and TV networks to have their say

Big Ten is on the clock

Would Kansas be on the Big Ten's short list? Believe it or not, football remains the primary revenue driver at KU. Its languishing football program might be a plus in realignment. Big Ten football is strong enough to absorb a team that would be an automatic W despite it subtracting from overall schedule strength. It would be a no-brainer because Jayhawks basketball is a historically great program.

Interesting note: In the last round of realignment, former Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany went after some combination of Georgia Tech, North Carolina and Virginia. He settled for Maryland and Rutgers. Delany brilliantly signed a short-term six-year TV deal that expires in 2022. With the Big Ten standing as the next major conference to renegotiate, will it sign a mini-extension to 2025 allowing its deal to sync up with those in the Big 12 if it wants to go after Kansas and/or Iowa State?

Further examining the Big Ten’s potential candidates for expansion - Anthony Broome, SB Nation/Big Ten Football - July 26, 2021
The realignment wars are back on.

Adam Rittenberg of ESPN mentioned that the Big Ten would only be interested in adding AAU (American Association of Universities) schools in a potential expansion. This is a grouping of some of the top research institutions in the country, but let’s remember that the Big Ten is an athletics conference. They might prefer to add AAU schools, but it depends on who comes a-knockin.
On July 26, 2021 ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg wrote:
Heard today from several people that B1G only would be interested in adding schools from the AAU (Nebraska no longer, but was when it joined league). Texas is AAU member, along with Pac-12 schools like Cal, Washington, Colorado, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Stanford. Oklahoma is not AAU.

Some of those AAU schools that are not in the Big Ten include:

• Iowa State (Big 12)
• Kansas (Big 12)

Given the reports of schools reaching out to set up calls with the Big Ten, it seems like the conference is more than open to the idea of adding a 15th and 16th school to the mix. In the scenario that the Pac-12, Big Ten and ACC split what’s left of the Big 12 amongst themselves. That would probably look something like this in some combination or another:

Big Ten: Kansas, Iowa State
Pac-12: Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State
ACC: West Virginia, Kansas State

Kansas Jayhawks athletic director Travis Goff talks realignment at football pep rally - Gary Bedore, The Kansas City Star - August 14, 2021

A few of you are turning ‘wishful thinking’ into an art form.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:16 pm

if the B12 stands pat with 8 fine. That will not stop ESPN/Fox from downgrading their current contract, should OU/UT leave early.

Should the B12 further implode I would not object to KU & Baylor coming to the BEast. Basketball-wise they'd be 2 good additions.
However, my primary wishes are for a B1G/SEC raid on the ACC so's we could have a shot at S'Cuse & Duke. Just sayin'.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Django » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:15 pm

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
A few of you are turning ‘wishful thinking’ into an art form.

Hows your “8 Years of Wishful Thinking” artwork going?
Django

Postby NJRedman » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:16 am

I think theres a better chance Wichita joins the Big East than Kansas. The Jayhawks still got football that pays well.
NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board