(4) Big East game on Tuesday 2/14

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (4) Big East game on Tuesday 2/14

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:03 am

Jasper - right on, bro. Totally the kind of game that I love watching when my team isn’t involved. :lol:
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jasper67 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:50 am

Omaha1 wrote:Jasper - right on, bro. Totally the kind of game that I love watching when my team isn’t involved. :lol:

Your guys played great! On a different day, they win. These 2 teams were so evenly matched - AND that’s with PC having home court advantage and the Jays having the travel disadvantage.

Frankly, beforehand I picked Creighton to win this one in a close game. With Kalkbrenner in the lineup, they have been playing as well as anyone in the country. My only reservation was the travel and whether that would take something out of them and make the difference in a close game. I went with the Jays regardless, but clearly these are two teams are very evenly matched and whenever they play, it will be a game that can go either way. An in fact when they played in Omaha, The Jays won in a close game. Should be something to see if they meet up on a neutral court at MSG.
Jasper67

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:28 am

Demon22 wrote:Those 11 minutes where DePaul had two healthy bigs were GLORIOUS.

That's 2 more than we've had all year lol
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby hoops22 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:39 am

Although it probably set the game of basketball back fifty years, and didn't mean anything regarding the BE race, the St. John's/ DePaul game was tough to beat for entertainment purposes. It's not too often you get to hear the announcing team excitedly yelling "circus shot" at most key inflection points of the game. In the end, Depaul out Johnnied St. John's, by snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. All this and with no Curbelo. It was like watching the Harlem Globetrotters playing an inter squad scrimmage on steroids. What a game!
hoops22

Postby billyjack » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:01 pm

hoops22 wrote:Although it probably set the game of basketball back fifty years, and didn't mean anything regarding the BE race, the St. John's/ DePaul game was tough to beat for entertainment purposes. It's not too often you get to hear the announcing team excitedly yelling "circus shot" at most key inflection points of the game. In the end, Depaul out Johnnied St. John's, by snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. All this and with no Curbelo. It was like watching the Harlem Globetrotters playing an inter squad scrimmage on steroids. What a game!

For those who didn't see it...

Good action throughout, runnin, gunnin, typical Demon Johnnie action...

DePaul went on a run mid 2nd, going up 13 at like 69-56...

St John's pecked away at lead, and with around 35 seconds and down 2... SJU stole the ball and tied it with a breakaway dunk.

Next possession, now tied, DePaul hit a 3 with around 4 seconds left, which seemed to be the game winner-- a demoralizing last-second dagger after St John's had clawed back to tie...

But wait... SJU got it over halfcourt and called a timeout with 2.9 seconds left... SJU threw a crosscourt lob pass to Addae-Wusu, who drilled a tying 3 with 0.5 left.

But wait again... DePaul inbounded by throwing a full court pass towards Ogenda (and Soriano), but it was airmailed into the cheerleaders... no touch... so the Johnnies got to inbound under their own hoop. They got a good look from the corner but the shot bounced off the rim.

Overtime was in St John's favor... they pulled away to win going away.

Super game though, really entertaining with some great action.
Providence
billyjack

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board