It's 2023. What have we learned?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: It's 2023. What have we learned?

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:30 am

stever20 wrote:
shizzle898 wrote:Home court matters. That is what we have learned. UConn and Providence are both 10-0 at home this season. The top five teams in the league (UConn, Providence, Xavier, Marquette, and Creighton) are a combined 44-3 at home this year.

So far in conference play, home teams are 20-11. .645 winning percentage. Would be best conference home record percentage since 2007.

And that's with Georgetown at 0-3 at home.

Now at 31-15. .674 winning percentage. 3rd best home court advantage in the country (only MAC and OVC more). Would be biggest home court advantage for the Big East since at least 1997.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby OmahaGuy » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:04 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:1. Chaos reigns.
2. League winner will have 6 losses.
3. Grades on new coaching hires: Xavier A+, Hall A+, Butler A+ (Motta is going to get some big wins IF Manny Bates comes back quickly).
4. Georgetown will win 2 games in conference. I'm a Knicks fan, what can I say?

You're forgetting Kyle Neptune at Nova on #3. What grade would you give him? Can't imagine it'd be a great grade since he's not doing so hot so far (but Nova could still get better)

Butler wasn't very good even with Manny Bates. Matta needs more time but giving him an A+? Out of curiosity, why?
OmahaGuy

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:09 am

OmahaGuy wrote:
Wizard of Westroads wrote:1. Chaos reigns.
2. League winner will have 6 losses.
3. Grades on new coaching hires: Xavier A+, Hall A+, Butler A+ (Motta is going to get some big wins IF Manny Bates comes back quickly).
4. Georgetown will win 2 games in conference. I'm a Knicks fan, what can I say?

You're forgetting Kyle Neptune at Nova on #3. What grade would you give him? Can't imagine it'd be a great grade since he's not doing so hot so far (but Nova could still get better)

Butler wasn't very good even with Manny Bates. Matta needs more time but giving him an A+? Out of curiosity, why?

I don't have any doubts that Motta will get it done at Butler, with his history. Hands are tied this year with injuries, but Butler's going to be good with him in charge.

I didn't grade Neptune, too early to tell with the hand he's playing. Looks like he's trying to maintain JW's program, but without Moore, Gillespie and Samuels. Maybe he'd be better off playing the younger guys more and build for the future? Dunno, that's why I didn't grade him.

Holloway was dealt a worse hand with SH, but it's clear to me he has a formula, and he's getting it to work even with the roster he inherited.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby Xuperman » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:31 am

MUBoxer wrote:I don't think MU will end up atop this thing, I think we end up 4th in the BE. But given you were basing this off of "what we have learned" well there's no reason to put some of the teams you have ahead of MU.

Well Boxer,
I will assume you have a more positive perspective on your guys ending up on top. I certainly do, along with everybody else that's paying attention.

"What we've learned" is that Coach Smart has assembled a shockingly good group of young ass-kickers! There is NOT a more exciting, passionate, talented squad in the entire country!

Aside from several of my Musketeers, Kam, Oso and TyKo are now my favorite players in College BBall....that's no shit. There is NO ONE having more fun than those guys AND they're doing it with very little skin ink.(as far as I can tell).

15-5 seems like a given for Y'all and X looks like they could roll into MSG with that record as well. The rematch could be HUGE in grabbing that MSG #1 and crowning a Reg Season Champ.
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

Postby Django » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:47 pm

Right now NET prediction of future wins feature projects Creighton and Marquette tied for first at 16-4 when it’s all said and done
Django

Postby MUBoxer » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:18 pm

Xuperman wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:I don't think MU will end up atop this thing, I think we end up 4th in the BE. But given you were basing this off of "what we have learned" well there's no reason to put some of the teams you have ahead of MU.

Well Boxer,
I will assume you have a more positive perspective on your guys ending up on top. I certainly do, along with everybody else that's paying attention.

"What we've learned" is that Coach Smart has assembled a shockingly good group of young ass-kickers! There is NOT a more exciting, passionate, talented squad in the entire country!

Aside from several of my Musketeers, Kam, Oso and TyKo are now my favorite players in College BBall....that's no shit. There is NO ONE having more fun than those guys AND they're doing it with very little skin ink.(as far as I can tell).

15-5 seems like a given for Y'all and X looks like they could roll into MSG with that record as well. The rematch could be HUGE in grabbing that MSG #1 and crowning a Reg Season Champ.

I do not have a more positive outlook, till seeing otherwise I'm still thinking of the ghosts of 4 disastrous February performances in a row. Cautiously optimistic yes but call it previous experience based anxiety.

Hope that happens, would make for a very exciting rematch and agree if MU doesn't have our annual February collapse it would be huge for implications.

Till the end of the conference season expect me to tease you for the first "what we (don't) know" in this thread ;) so far I was right about Prov not getting the home whistles on the road, looks like Kaulk is back without being as winded as I expected, and looks like I was right about my Nova concerns.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Xuperman » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:19 am

Well, the supply chain issues have been resolved.....Mr. "Buckets For Sale" is back to cranking out quality product. If that continues as expected, X will likely remain a Championship caliber squad.

I have recorded, and re-watched every game this season. What Sean Miller has created here with ONE transfer, a freshman and Steele's returning roster is WORLD CLASS coaching...with National COY impact. He has his guys competing at an Elite level, and churning out the most spirited, max effort style of basketball anywhere.

Starting with the New Years Eve showdown and up to last night, there has not been a stretch of any basketball, anywhere, at any level more entertaining than what we've witnessed.....it just simply can not get much better. The product that the Big East is putting out there is clearly superior product. Along with the B12, the separation from ALL other conferences is on full display.

Xavier has got something special cookin' here sports fans. The confidence level is oozing amongst this group. A collective apex predator "viciousness" has developed. ALL SIX veterans have become a wickedly focused group of hoop assassins....with Coach Miller's unmatched communication skills orchestrating the carnage. Man, the look in Des Claude's eyes last night was "John Wick" cold....it speaks volumes.

10 in...10 to go until MSG.
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:54 am

the 10 in 10 to go comment is perfect right now- looked and right now we're at the exact 50% mark for the conference. 55 down, 55 to go.

Home court still going strong 37-18. Only the American East conference with more of a home court advantage.

1 thing that has really changed is 3 point usage. Down to only 34.4% of the shots- lowest percentage of shots since 2014. Only the SWAC and Big West use the 3 less. You wonder how that will impact the conference come March.
stever20

Postby kayako » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:27 am

Xuperman wrote:What Sean Miller has created here with ONE transfer, a freshman and Steele's returning roster is WORLD CLASS coaching...with National COY impact.

That one transfer is BE POY caliber in what was Xavier's most needed position. Xavier's expectation was #3 in the conference, so I am not sure if I'd have Miller above Shaka Smart or Ed Cooley for the BE COY award at this point.
supernova
kayako

Postby Jasper67 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:47 am

Shaka has done more with less.
Jasper67

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board