Big East Expansion with media rights deal July 1, 2025?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Expansion with media rights deal July 1, 2025?

Postby billyjack » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:53 am

Xudash wrote:UCONN had been a member of the Big East before. Different situation.

Besides, with respect to them coming back, the decision was a no-brainer for the conference.

Ok, good to know for when the Bearcats ask to return.

8-)
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby _lh » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:10 pm

Xudash wrote:UCONN had been a member of the Big East before. Different situation.

Besides, with respect to them coming back, the decision was a no-brainer for the conference.

Also, comparing UCONN to UD is ridiculous.
Xavier
_lh

Postby Xudash » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:49 pm

billyjack wrote:

Ok, good to know for when the Bearcats ask to return.

8-)

Ha! Touche. Well done - mostly.

The Bearcats won't ask to return anytime soon. They believe they are becoming a "Power 5" football school, even as the Power 5 essentially reduce to the Power 2. Frankly, though the market saturation issue would be in play, I would not have much of a problem with UC being let back into the BE. Let's just say they have some meaningful presence in the sport.

Here's the bottomline for me at the moment:

1. The Big East is strong and well positioned as it exists with its current 11 members; expansion isn't necessary now.

2. Expansion will occur if it makes financial sense. Expansion will be dilutive if it doesn't make financial sense.

3. Because of #1, the Big East is well positioned to emphasize #2 as the driving factor with respect to this issue.

4. Football will not drive basketball expansion opportunities.

5. The upcoming BE media agreement negotiation will put things in motion with respect to expansion, or not.

So, let's say we get closer to 2025 and let's say that the per school payout shapes up to be in the $7 million range for our existing 11 member institutions. If that happens, then it is what it is - the "valuation bar" will have been set at that figure. The question becomes simple: what school or which combination of schools, if added to the Big East, could bump that figure up, or at least not decrease it should there be other value-adds from making an addition or two?

I go back to how you ordered things, which I truly do agree with you about overall. Notre Dame (probably not happening). Gonzaga (very well could happen). Schools like Syracuse (probably not happening as well, unless something really funky happens primarily on the overall institutional funding side).

Put another way, if we ever have to dip into the A10 for expansion, we will be doing so from a weakened position. I'm not trying to insult the A10 schools here. If we have to "look down" for expansion candidates, something went wrong with us.

Otherwise, again, given where we are and how well we're positioned, expansion in and of itself has the potential to be a truly value-added opportunity for the conference. We don't have to do it, but great opportunities may come along that makes it make sense for the Big East.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby billyjack » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:19 pm

Good points Dash.
Thanks for the post.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Django » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:49 pm

Yes Dash, Gonzaga is the only program to rise above their mid-major conference enough to be asked at this point. If the Zags leave the WCC that conference will drop just like the MVC and A10 dropped when X Butler and Creighton left.
Django

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:05 am

Novachap wrote:Not sure where to post this, but not surprising, Jay Wright signed with CBS and TNT to do college games.

following up with this- just posted on twitter:
Jay Wright will make his debut on Wednesday, Dec. 7 for Penn at Villanova on CBS Sports Network.

His first appearance on CBS will be Saturday, Dec. 17 as a studio analyst for CBS Sports' tripleheader.
stever20

Postby pki1998 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:05 pm

stever20 wrote:
Novachap wrote:Not sure where to post this, but not surprising, Jay Wright signed with CBS and TNT to do college games.

Jay Wright will make his debut on Wednesday, Dec. 7 for Penn at Villanova on CBS Sports Network.

His first appearance on CBS will be Saturday, Dec. 17 as a studio analyst for CBS Sports' tripleheader.

Really wish he would have signed with Fox!
Xavier
pki1998

Postby pki1998 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:13 pm

I know I’m in the minority of Xavier fans but I would be supportive of Dayton being added. One of the best things about college basketball is talking smack. My brother went to UD and there is nothing better than talking trash after a Xavier win (Admittedly it sucks when he talks trash to me after the infrequent UD win). Having two bar tab bets with him a year would be a good thing!

I pull for every Big East team in the OOC, but I will never cheer for UD even if they get an invite. I hate those bastards!!!! But They have a good program and great fan support so they would be a good add.

My only concerns about adding them would be it kills the round robin. I love the round robin, I’d be willing to give it up for UD but I understand why the East Coast Teams might not be willing to add another midwest team.
Xavier
pki1998

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:54 pm

pki1998 wrote:
stever20 wrote:

Really wish he would have signed with Fox!

I think having the tournament probably made a big difference.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:26 pm

I'm not in favor adding Dayton at this point. My only comment was that their fans, as obnoxious as i've been told they are, at least give a sh-t about college hoops and really want to be in the Big East... compared with Saint Louis, which to me is lightyears behind Dayton in fan interest and college hoops culture.
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board