(1) Thurs. Game/ Butler @ St. John's 12/23/21

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (1) Thurs. Game/ Butler @ St. John's 12/23/21

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:10 pm

Omaha1 wrote:Jerry Carino wrote this yesterday:

Giving the conference full authority to reschedule was important after the 2020-21 experience, when gamesmanship played a role in determining which postponed contests eventually got played. That doesn’t mean the jigsaw puzzle gets easier, though.

Of course we don’t know what would have happened but as a Creighton fan I obviously would have liked for every team to have played a full 20 game league schedule. It kind of sounds like some teams intentionally didn’t. He wrote the statement about the need for the Big East taking over because of perceived “gamesmanship” as a fact, not an opinion. Who would you suggest he was referring to?

We don't know who Jerry was talking about, but I highly doubt Jay Wright was trying to game the system in not re-scheduling DePaul. Perhaps it was the other schools who didn't want to play Nova. It's useless to speculate and point fingers but there were other schools with reasons to manipuate games. Too bad Willard didn't, we might've gotten in the tournament again if he got home vs Xavier (I actually do remember talk on the SHU board that X wasn't interested) rescheduled instead of @ Butler or if he dodged the 2 Nova games.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Django » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:20 am

Gaming the system is what every coach should be doing. Gamesmanship is everything in college athletics.
Django

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:21 am

Django wrote:Gaming the system is what every coach should be doing. Gamesmanship is everything in college athletics.

looks like the league is taking some steps to stop that this year with already the 3 reschedules scheduled.

I think Fox probably made it pretty clear that these games need to be played.
stever20

Postby ArmyVet » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:19 am

stever20 wrote:
Django wrote:Gaming the system is what every coach should be doing. Gamesmanship is everything in college athletics.

looks like the league is taking some steps to stop that this year with already the 3 reschedules scheduled.

It would be interesting to know just how involved Fox is. Can they say, "we'd really like to get that Top 25 team rescheduled for a TV appearance, but don't worry so much about the Butler-Georgetown game?"
ArmyVet

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:22 am

ArmyVet wrote:
stever20 wrote:

It would be interesting to know just how involved Fox is. Can they say, "we'd really like to get that Top 25 team rescheduled for a TV appearance, but don't worry so much about the Butler-Georgetown game?"

I think they need the volume. And also they're finally starting to use FS2 for some sports. This would help that out quite a bit.
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board