Let's review DePaul... & Leitao Replacement Discussion...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Let's review DePaul... & Leitao Replacement Discussion..

Postby Burrito » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:31 pm

Shaka Smart, Dan Hurley and Archie Miller were the three up and coming coaches in the A-10 conference years back. Now two of them are coaching in the Big East conference.
Burrito

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:24 pm

Demon22 wrote:Sophomore guard Oscar Lopez is in the transfer portal.

Did I mention that I expect there to be a lot of transfers?

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Still quiet on the DePaul front. Any news on interviews or possible candidates?

Not a lot beyond those names I shared.

I will say this, though. I think that they're still vetting candidates. And I think a lot of the names out there on social media that are being floated as possible candidates are garbage. I'm sure that a lot of that stuff is coming from agents, not from the school.

I.e. Scheyer and Davis, no doubt?
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Demon22 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:46 pm

Pauly Paulicap is in the transfer portal.

At least the new coach will get a chance to make the team "his" in fairly short order.
Demon22

Postby Demon22 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:30 pm

For what it's worth, this report says DePaul is close to hiring Oregon Associate Head Coach Tony Stubblefield.

https://twitter.com/joehoopsreport/stat ... 4494836736

Biography makes him sound like a west coach version of Kenny Payne.
Demon22

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:16 pm

Stubblefield was named in the Bowen case.

Underwhelming, if true. Zero East Coast or Midwest ties. Zero ties to the area or the conference. Zero head coaching experience.

Don't understand the fit at all.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Jet915 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:01 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Stubblefield was named in the Bowen case.

Underwhelming, if true. Zero East Coast or Midwest ties. Zero ties to the area or the conference. Zero head coaching experience.

Yeah he's implicated in the Dawkins and Bowen recruiting scandal as well? This would be a Depaul type of hire...
Jet915

Postby Demon22 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:37 pm

Stubblefield is actually from Iowa, and played at Nebraska-Omaha.

I think the attraction is that he's a West Coast version of Kenny Payne - strong national recruiter with close ties to Nike. Payne was praised for his work with bigs, Stubblefield's been praised for his work with perimeter players.

The fact that they'd look at two guys with little head coaching experience is interesting, though. Makes me wonder if they've got an X's and O's assistant lined up from somewhere. Someone to play Phil Martelli to Stubblefield's Juwon Howard?

Yeah he's implicated in the Dawkins and Bowen recruiting scandal as well? This would be a Depaul type of hire...

Brian Bowen's dad was asked on the stand if he remembered Stubblefield giving him $3,000 in cash, and he said he did not.

Apparently, you had to offer $100,000 and a job in order to get Bowen's attention.

I'm thinking that any Creighton fan that wants to throw shade at DePaul for hiring someone connected to the Brian Bowen case should maybe consider sitting this one out.
Demon22

Postby Jet915 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:55 pm

Demon22 wrote:

Stubblefield is actually from Iowa, and played at Nebraska-Omaha.

I think the attraction is that he's a West Coast version of Kenny Payne - strong national recruiter with close ties to Nike. Payne was praised for his work with bigs, Stubblefield's been praised for his work with perimeter players.

The fact that they'd look at two guys with little head coaching experience is interesting, though. Makes me wonder if they've got an X's and O's assistant lined up from somewhere. Someone to play Phil Martelli to Stubblefield's Juwon Howard?

Brian Bowen's dad was asked on the stand if he remembered Stubblefield giving him $3,000 in cash, and he said he did not.

Apparently, you had to offer $100,000 and a job in order to get Bowen's attention.

I'm thinking that any Creighton fan that wants to throw shade at DePaul for hiring someone connected to the Brian Bowen case should maybe consider sitting this one out.

Im in no way defending Creighton and their involvement, Preston Murphy was an idiot for getting involved even if he was just doing it as a prank it waa stupid but Depaul hiring someone who might have some taint is probably not the smartest thing but to each their own....
Jet915

Postby Demon22 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:43 am

Jet915 wrote:Depaul hiring someone who might have some taint is probably not the smartest thing but to each their own....

Neither is retaining a coach who might have some taint and who might also be a racist, but as you said, to each their own.

For what it's worth, Jeff Goodman has confirmed the initial report and states that Stubblefield is DePaul's guy barring a last minute breakdown in negotiations.
Demon22

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:34 am

TONY STUBBLEFIELD - Associate Head Coach – University of Oregon Official Bio
Tony Stubblefield is in his 11th season as an assistant coach with the University of Oregon men’s basketball program. He has more than 20 years of coaching experience at the college level. During his tenure, Stubblefield helped Oregon assemble four recruiting classes that were ranked among the top 12 nationally (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019). Included in those classes were future NBA players Troy Brown Jr. and Louis King and NBA Draft choices Brown Jr., Bol Bol and Payton Pritchard.

Stubblefield came to the Ducks after spending four years as an assistant at the University of Cincinnati, serving as the Bearcats’ recruiting coordinator from 2006-10. Prior to joining the staff at Cincinnati, Stubblefield served as assistant coach at New Mexico State for six seasons, one of which he served as interim head coach. He was responsible for all aspects of the basketball program at New Mexico State. Prior to the start of the 2004-05 season, he was elevated to interim head coach when Lou Henson’s health forced him to miss the season.

As recruiting coordinator for the Aggies, Stubblefield attracted three national Top-100 rated players, including one McDonald’s All-American, a junior college all-American, and first-team all-state high school players from six different states.

Prior to his tenure at New Mexico State, Stubblefield was the lead assistant and recruiting coordinator at the University of Texas-Arlington for four seasons. He successfully recruited two Top-10 prospects from the state of Texas along with first-team all-region junior college players from Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi.

Stubblefield began his coaching career as a student assistant for two seasons at the University of Nebraska at Omaha, his alma mater, where he completed his undergraduate degree in 1995. Stubblefield, who transferred to UNO following two years at Clinton (Iowa) Community College, earned two letters playing guard at Nebraska-Omaha where he was the team captain his senior season.
Upon graduation from UNO, he became an assistant coach at the University of Texas-San Antonio for the 1995-96 season, where he was responsible for coaching the guards and was the program’s top recruiter.

In high school, Stubblefield was one of the top players in the state of Colorado. He was the runner-up for state Player of the Year honors at Bloomfield (Colo.) High School his senior season, while picking up first-team all-state and Boulder County Player of the Year accolades.
Fieldhouse Flyer

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board