Biggest surprise?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Biggest surprise?

Postby kayako » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:58 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:Villanova was impressive against Purdue, a team that should have been equipped to exploit their lack of size. Villanova this year reminds me of the Doug McDermott Creighton team of a few years ago. That team blew through the regular season but then stumbled in the postseason.

I agree with your optimism for Georgetown. Despite some early season losses, they have a lot of talent and JT III is showing signs of maturing as a coach. He may be doing his best job yet.

I like your comment about JTIII. The jury's still out, but it was painfully clear that he had to comb through the roster to define roles for his players. Perhaps it was his fault to be in such position to begin with, but watching Georgetown play this season made it clear to me that JTIII isn't content to just roll out his 4 and 5 star recuits and win with length, talent, pedigree. The Hoyas are playing faster, while fouling less & getting fouled more. Coaches can be ducking stubborn as hell, and it's a good sign when a coach who's had some success in the past is open to new ideas. It took a while for Jay Wright to realize that the matchup zone is a good compliment to man-to-man D.
supernova
kayako

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:53 pm

How Butler became one of college basketball’s biggest surprises

“If I said, ‘Naw, I expected this,’ you would say you’re full of crap,” Holtmann said. “I am [surprised]. I think we also recognize that league play is a different animal, but to say we expected to go 11-1, given our schedule, with this many new guys, I’d say I’m surprised.”
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:05 pm

DudeAnon wrote:How Butler became one of college basketball’s biggest surprises

“If I said, ‘Naw, I expected this,’ you would say you’re full of crap,” Holtmann said. “I am [surprised]. I think we also recognize that league play is a different animal, but to say we expected to go 11-1, given our schedule, with this many new guys, I’d say I’m surprised.”

Did Holtmann just say that Stever is "full of crap"??? :o :o :o

I'm shocked. The mods are going to have to step in and have a talk with Holtmann about his language and manners. Totally unacceptable.
Bill Marsh

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:58 am

KenPom: DePaul will not be the surprise team of the BE:
Falling back on the longer track record, this game is more likely to be an outlier rather than a turning point for either team. Sure, the Blue Demons will be competitive in some games – even the worst teams are at some point4 – and they may yet win Sunday against St. John’s. But based on what we’ve seen so far, even 6-12 would be a surprising accomplishment for Dave Leitao’s team.

http://kenpom.com/blog/is-there-hope-for-depaul/#more-1338
Wizard of Westroads

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:24 pm

Creighton's Justin Patton went from an Omaha kid without any scholarship offers to a potential one and done. Surprise!
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:41 pm

Omaha1 wrote:Creighton's Justin Patton went from an Omaha kid without any scholarship offers to a potential one and done. Surprise!

One and done??? You're joking of course. :lol:
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:54 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:Creighton's Justin Patton went from an Omaha kid without any scholarship offers to a potential one and done. Surprise!

with how guard oriented the NBA is, it's not out of the realm of possibility.
stever20

Postby marquette » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:18 pm

stever20 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

Since it's his second year at Creighton (red shirt), I think it might be :D
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:49 pm

stever20 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

Yeah, it is. No offense to the kid of course. ;)
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:51 pm

marquette wrote:
stever20 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

Since it's his second year at Creighton (red shirt), I think it might be :D

Nah, he's not really playing at that level. His success is a product of opportunity + the system he plays in. Maybe after 4 years. Good for him for making the most of the opportunity.
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board