10 Big East newcomers to watch

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 10 Big East newcomers to watch

Postby FlyJays » Sun May 17, 2015 10:00 am

MUBoxer wrote:When the service that's been severely falling in quality moves him up that doesn't mean he's a big ole 5star here's the the composite ranking. Now compare his composite to the 5 stars you see on all the sites. A true five star is going to be viewed as such by most or all of them. It'd be like me saying Jajuan Johnson was a 5 star out of high school or Vander blue. They were four stars who happened to have a higher ranking by one of the lesser sites

http://247sports.com/Player/Justin-Patton-75635

ESPN (probably the worst recruiting service out there) is the outlier, and they haven't evaluated him, so they assigned him a 4-star rating (unranked) based off the hype around him from the other sites. That's the rating that is bringing him down in the 247Composite.

Scout: 5-star #25
Rivals: 4-star #45
247Sports: 4-star #66
ESPN: 4-star unranked.

I don't care if he has 9-stars or 2-stars, the recruiting services who have actually watched him play basketball all have him very highly rated. And for the record, Evan Daniels of Scout has evaluated Patton probably more than any other recruiting analyst out there, having seen him in person multiple times over the last year. I trust his opinion.
FlyJays

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MakScratcher3 » Mon May 18, 2015 9:43 am

MakScratcher3

Postby stever20 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:29 am

I think in a lot of ways the 2 most important newcomers are Letiao and Mullin. Getting DePaul back to being a competitive team and getting St John's back to being a major factor in things are crucial to the league. I think back to the 2013-14 season when St John's was having their hot Feb- there was a buzz there that we've not seen. Even last year with St John's was pretty exciting. And that's with what was a lot of fools gold if you will with Lavin. DePaul absolutely is a sleeper this year.
stever20

Postby MUBoxer » Tue May 19, 2015 9:51 am

FlyJays wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:When the service that's been severely falling in quality moves him up that doesn't mean he's a big ole 5star here's the the composite ranking. Now compare his composite to the 5 stars you see on all the sites. A true five star is going to be viewed as such by most or all of them. It'd be like me saying Jajuan Johnson was a 5 star out of high school or Vander blue. They were four stars who happened to have a higher ranking by one of the lesser sites

ESPN (probably the worst recruiting service out there) is the outlier, and they haven't evaluated him, so they assigned him a 4-star rating (unranked) based off the hype around him from the other sites. That's the rating that is bringing him down in the 247Composite.

I don't care if he has 9-stars or 2-stars, the recruiting services who have actually watched him play basketball all have him very highly rated. And for the record, Evan Daniels of Scout has evaluated Patton probably more than any other recruiting analyst out there, having seen him in person multiple times over the last year. I trust his opinion.

Not sure what you're saying here, do you think I don't think he'll be good? I think he's a great 4star talent. One site calling a guy a borderline five star isn't being a five star. I don't think it matters what he is since when he hits the floor I was just stating he's not a 5 star. Compare his rating to our two 5star recruits Ellenson (ESPN 5, Rivals 11, 247sports 23, Scout 7) and Brunson (ESPN 16, Rivals 20, 247sports 28, Scout 26). It's a much lower standard deviation because they're known as top guys nationallh and that's what a 5star player is and I know when you get one that's a unanimous 5star you're going to go "no way was Patton a 5 star" just like I did about vander blue when we got Ellenson
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Bluejay » Tue May 19, 2015 1:33 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
FlyJays wrote:

Not sure what you're saying here, do you think I don't think he'll be good? I think he's a great 4star talent. One site calling a guy a borderline five star isn't being a five star. I don't think it matters what he is since when he hits the floor I was just stating he's not a 5 star. Compare his rating to our two 5star recruits Ellenson (ESPN 5, Rivals 11, 247sports 23, Scout 7) and Brunson (ESPN 16, Rivals 20, 247sports 28, Scout 26). It's a much lower standard deviation because they're known as top guys nationallh and that's what a 5star player is and I know when you get one that's a unanimous 5star you're going to go "no way was Patton a 5 star" just like I did about vander blue when we got Ellenson

Why do you care so much whether Patton is a 5 star or 4 star?
Bluejay

Postby XUFan09 » Wed May 20, 2015 1:11 am

I think he just offered his initial disagreement when someone called Patton a 5-star and has since been sucked into the argument having to defend himself.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby FlyJays » Wed May 20, 2015 9:56 am

MUBoxer wrote:
FlyJays wrote:

One site calling a guy a 5-star means he's a 5-star. He's not a unanimous 5-star, but he's a 5-star. Is water wet? I also don't think it's a coincidence that the site that saw Patton play more than any other site rates him the highest. Patton didn't play with a big time AAU program, he's from a region that produces little top-tier talent, and he was a really late bloomer, so his exposure was limited.

By all indications, he got the better of Thomas Bryant (a top 20 recruit) at the Kentucky Derby Festival this spring. There's a reason a few analysts have said Patton may end up being the best NBA prospect in this Big East recruiting class. Who knows if that will happen. I suppose we'll see once all these guys step on the floor.
FlyJays

Postby MUBoxer » Wed May 20, 2015 3:29 pm

XUFan09 wrote:I think he just offered his initial disagreement when someone called Patton a 5-star and has since been sucked into the argument having to defend himself.

That's exactly what happened.

And flyjays by your same logic three sites calling him a 4 star means he's a four star. He's referred to as a four star in the article. Though I am interested could you provide links to him being the best nba prospect in our incoming class?
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Jet915 » Wed May 20, 2015 4:13 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
XUFan09 wrote:I think he just offered his initial disagreement when someone called Patton a 5-star and has since been sucked into the argument having to defend himself.

That's exactly what happened.

And flyjays by your same logic three sites calling him a 4 star means he's a four star. He's referred to as a four star in the article. Though I am interested could you provide links to him being the best nba prospect in our incoming class?

Eric Bossi mentioned on twitter that Ellenson was a better NBA prospect but that Patton had NBA potential for sure. That's all I remember seeing.

Eric Bossi ‏@ebosshoops Apr 14
@Brotherhood05 I would still go with Henry Ellenson there, but Patton a potential NBA prospect for sure
Jet915

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board