FCOA WAR COMMENCES Cincinnati pays $7434 FCOA

The home for Big East hoops

Re: WHAT WILL THE BE PAY AS FCOA PER SCHOOL?

Postby marquette » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:01 pm

robinreed wrote:
marquette wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12682835/horizon-league-passes-cost-attendance-measure

Horizon League is in. It will be the exception not to be in.

Yeah, Horizon voted UNANIMOUSLY to REQUIRE all members to provide FCOA for men's and women's basketball. I doubt it gets a whole lot lower on the totem pole (particularly at non-P5, non-AAC/MWC football conferences), but it is pretty clear that a solid FCOA is going to be a bare minimum for major schools going forward.

Whilst researching this topic I ran into a post which stated that all members of the Sun Belt Conference will pay the FCOA. There was no amounts given. The Sun Belt is the lowest of Division 1A football schools. We know that Val stated a few months ago that the BE will pay the FCOA but the information we lack is how much each school will pay. That is a rather important fact.

Wow, that's crazy. There's no way those schools can afford very high FCOA for very long. There's also no reason for them to since they aren't going to steal recruits from anyone higher conferences. Weird.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:07 am

marquette wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12682835/horizon-league-passes-cost-attendance-measure

Horizon League is in. It will be the exception not to be in.

Yeah, Horizon voted UNANIMOUSLY to REQUIRE all members to provide FCOA for men's and women's basketball. I doubt it gets a whole lot lower on the totem pole (particularly at non-P5, non-AAC/MWC football conferences), but it is pretty clear that a solid FCOA is going to be a bare minimum for major schools going forward.

Saw this story:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/co ... 01vmn00dth

the big part for basketball:
"Our conference (the Big South) has made a commitment to do that for men's and women's basketball, so we were going to be doing that anyway, but the decision was made because our goal is to be a major FBS program one day and this was a necessary step to take to not only show our commitment but show our desire to do that."

If the Big South is going to be doing it, it's pretty much going to be everyone doing it. That's about as small as it gets quite frankly.

and their number from the story: Liberty's full cost of attendance gap is $3,312
stever20

Postby robinreed » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:05 am

As previously noted Liberty University will become the first FCS school to offer Full Cost of Living to its athletes. However the attachment from the school says it will offer FCOA to ALL scholarship athletes at Liberty in all sports. If the BE follows this it will cost a good deal more than I originally expected.

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 76&TeamID=
robinreed

Postby XtoDC » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:22 am

I really hope thread topics in all caps doesn't become a trend.
XtoDC

Postby hoyahooligan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:30 am

I really don't think it's as expensive as people think.

~$3,000 a year x what ~800 student athletes at a school with a lot of sports like Georgetown ? $2,400,000 a year if you do every single athlete in every single sport. Most schools sponsor a lot less than the 29 teams Georgetown does though. It'd probably be less than a million for a lot of BE schools.

Just for basketball it's a chump change not even 100 grand a year.
hoyahooligan

Postby stever20 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:35 am

I really wonder what the F5 thinks about conferences as low as the Big South saying they're going to do it for basketball. I really think the F5 thought this would cut out some of the "rif raf" if you will.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:43 am

hoyahooligan wrote:I really don't think it's as expensive as people think.

~$3,000 a year x what ~800 student athletes at a school with a lot of sports like Georgetown ? $2,400,000 a year if you do every single athlete in every single sport. Most schools sponsor a lot less than the 29 teams Georgetown does though. It'd probably be less than a million for a lot of BE schools.

Just for basketball it's a chump change not even 100 grand a year.

Relevant to this topic, ESPN did a 30 for 30 last night on the shoe business. During a segment they did quick interview of current coaches on their thoughts of paying the players. They unanimously thought it was a bad idea. And John Thompson was loudest of them all lol. As usual, compromises need to happen. Unfortunately, I don't think that is going to happen until players form a union to compete with the monster that is the NCAA (which is basically a union for Uni presidents.)
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby robinreed » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:26 pm

I am genuinely surprised by the significant variance in FCOA for schools in what is called the G5.

Marshall (cusa) $700.00

Western Kentucky (cusa) $3000.00

Eastern Carolina (aac) $4250.00

I certainly believe each school has the right to set it's own figure but this much of a difference will clearly hurt the schools that choose to pay low amounts.

On the other hand the Big Sky Conference a FCS level group have announced they will offer no FCOA for next year.

By the way I still have seen no listing of our (BE) FCOA amounts. Has any one come across this information? If so please post it.
robinreed

Postby robinreed » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:24 pm

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/spor ... /26361637/

More info on marginal division 1 conferences and schools which have decided to pay FCOA.

The Big South will pay (11 member schools) FCOA for men's and women's basketball only. I am worried that there has yet to be an announcement concerning the BE. Considering our TV contract with Fox we should have no trouble paying for at least basketball as well as any other sports we wish to. Val said last year that we would pay but I can find no information from any school on the net confirming that or the amounts the schools will pay. Believe me I have looked. Is it possible that the schools have not decided that as yet? The payments would start in either August or September, amounts should already be known. Perhaps they will chose not to tell us.
robinreed

Re: UPDATE ON FCOA PAID PER SCHOOL?

Postby robinreed » Sun May 10, 2015 11:48 pm

I have been searching the net for additional information on the FCOA which colleges are paying to athletes. I have hoped to find info on what or if we (BE) will pay but except for some message board speculation have found nothing. It is however becoming clear that many if not all other conferences are paying some FCOA amount to athletes.

Here are amounts that western schools have decided to pay:
I have not included $ symbols or cents please forgive my shortcut as it is late night and I wish to sleep not type.

Wyoming - 3240
Boise State - 5100
Colorado State - 3100
BYU - 4500
Fresno St - 3650
Hawaii - 3543 (this does not include travel, that amount is undecided at this date.)
Nevada - 4494
New Mexico - 2700
San Diego State - 2992
San Jose State - 3800
UNLV - 4500
Utah State - 4000

There was also a story from the Lexington newspaper that UK will pay 3208 and that several people in the administration and sports department believe that such a low amount will hurt the Kentucky recruiting especially for football. I doubt it will have any effect on their basketball recruiting but one never knows.

It especially bothers me that our Jesuit friends at my alma mater (XU) have not released the amounts they intend to pay for FCOA. However I have found nothing from any BE school and wonder if the league office has ask the schools not to release any information to the public. It is my understanding that the payments must begin with the fall semester. That is only 3 month away.
robinreed

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board