Wed Jan 28th (2g) - Seton-MU, SJU-Creighton...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Wed Jan 28th (2g) - Seton-MU, SJU-Creighton...

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:40 am

micgoG'town wrote:Of course they could win the Big East Tourny.

They might have to. And might have to coming out of the 7 or lower hole. Got to remember right now they are 2 games back of Seton Hall in the win column, with Seton Hall having the 1st game win. Even if St John's beats them 2nd time, unless St John's beats Nova, Seton Hall will have the tiebreaker(or hope they beat Georgetown and not have Seton Hall do it- and Georgetown finish ahead of Nova).
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:41 am

what cbs night court is saying about the game:
Oh that's a bad loss (part three): Teams were just hemorraging losses in these late games. St. John's was no exception as the Red Storm have now lost six of their previous eight after a 77-74 defeat to Creighton.

That's the kind of game that you absolutely cannot drop if you're the Johnnies. Coming off of a tight game against Duke where you seemingly built some momentum going forward, you cannot take a step back and drop a game to a previously 0-8 team in the conference that just lost its second-leading scorer to a knee injury for the rest of the season. It's an unacceptable defeat any way you slice it, even if it's on the road.

This team is going to have problems making the NCAA Tournament now. At 2-5 in the league and having already dropped three home games, it's hard to envision this team making a run right now. The schedule sets up pretty nicely, as they get Providence at home, followed by a road game at Butler and back-to-back home games against DePaul and Creighton. Three out of those four is a must at this point (maybe even all four), as the Red Storm still have five games against Xavier, Georgetown and Villanova. Right now, I'd be surprised if they went dancing, and that's going to cause some issues for Steve Lavin's job security.
stever20

Postby ivet » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:18 am

I will take a page of off the Creighton book and say that this win is not good for the conference. Pretty much kiss St. Johns bid goodbye. And that is what we care about...what's best for the conference and number of teams we can send and in doing so, sacrifices must be made by some teams.
ivet

Postby HoosierPal » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:58 am

ivet wrote:I will take a page of off the Creighton book and say that this win is not good for the conference. Pretty much kiss St. Johns bid goodbye. And that is what we care about...what's best for the conference and number of teams we can send and in doing so, sacrifices must be made by some teams.

I'll get criticized for this comment, but I disagree. What's good for Butler is what I care about. If the Big East gets in four and Butler is one, that is good. If the Big East gets in five, and Butler isn't one of the five, that's not good for me. No sacrifices, no prisoners.
HoosierPal

Postby ivet » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:03 am

HoosierPal wrote:
ivet wrote:I will take a page of off the Creighton book and say that this win is not good for the conference. Pretty much kiss St. Johns bid goodbye. And that is what we care about...what's best for the conference and number of teams we can send and in doing so, sacrifices must be made by some teams.

I'll get criticized for this comment, but I disagree. What's good for Butler is what I care about. If the Big East gets in four and Butler is one, that is good. If the Big East gets in five, and Butler isn't one of the five, that's not good for me. No sacrifices, no prisoners.

I like your style, I was actually being sarcastic..or more of a smart-ass after Creighton fans started criticizing DePaul for winning and it was blowing the Big East Chances of sending a lot of teams to the dance.
ivet

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:13 am

Creighton is currently ranked 125 RPI. So obviously there are no good losses. But it was still a road game for the Johnnies. Hell, if Creighton can summon a few more wins they could drop sub-100.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:24 am

according to RPI forecast, for Creighton to finish with a sub-100 RPI- they would have to finish 16-15- and that gets them a 99.4 projected RPI. That would be 6 more wins in final 9 games. That's a lot more than just a few more wins...

As far as St John's-
to get even on the bubble remotely right now would take getting to 18-12. Right now that record projects to a RPI of 57.2. That is really fringe bubble. That would be 6-5. To get a lot more solid takes 7-4 to get to 19-11. That record projects to a RPI of 46.1.
stever20

Postby R Jay » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:49 am

I don't have much to add other than the obvious: it feels good to finally win.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:00 am

stever20 wrote:according to RPI forecast, for Creighton to finish with a sub-100 RPI- they would have to finish 16-15- and that gets them a 99.4 projected RPI. That would be 6 more wins in final 9 games. That's a lot more than just a few more wins...

As far as St John's-
to get even on the bubble remotely right now would take getting to 18-12. Right now that record projects to a RPI of 57.2. That is really fringe bubble. That would be 6-5. To get a lot more solid takes 7-4 to get to 19-11. That record projects to a RPI of 46.1.

Ok, so maybe sub-100 is unrealistic. But they still aren't a "bad loss". Brown has an rpi of 233, that is a bad loss.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:07 am

DudeAnon wrote:
stever20 wrote:according to RPI forecast, for Creighton to finish with a sub-100 RPI- they would have to finish 16-15- and that gets them a 99.4 projected RPI. That would be 6 more wins in final 9 games. That's a lot more than just a few more wins...

As far as St John's-

Ok, so maybe sub-100 is unrealistic. But they still aren't a "bad loss". Brown has an rpi of 233, that is a bad loss.

Creighton has to win another game or two. If they go 10-21, they finish with a 201 RPI. That would be a bad loss.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board