Jeff Goodman Says Big East is Overrated

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Jeff Goodman Says Big East is Overrated

Postby stever20 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:37 pm

The problem we're going to face is yes we're going to get 5 or 6 teams in most likely. But outside of Nova- odds pretty good the others are going to be in that dreaded 6-9 range. Nova is going to have to avoid the early upset again, and someone is going to have to pull a major upset to get to the 2nd weekend. And in an era where March means everything, we're going to be at a decided disadvantage entering the tourney. You say we're going to have as many teams as the Big 12, Big Ten, ACC, etc. Yes- that's true.... but look at the projected RPI's of the top 5 teams...
ACC- 2, 3, 9, 12, 35- that'd be 2 1's, 2 3's, and a 9. 4 sweet 16 seeds- avg seed 4.6
B10- 4, 17, 19, 33, 43- that'd be a 2, 2 5's, a 9, and a 11. 1 sweet 16 seed, plus 2 5's.- avg seed 6.4
B12- 11,8, 13, 14, 16. That'd be a 2, a 3, and 3 4's. 5 sweet 16 seeds.- avg seed 4.4
BE- 7, 21, 24, 26, 38. That'd be a 2, 2 6's, a 7, and a 10. 1 sweet 16 seed.- avg seed avg seed 6.2

The ACC might only get 5 in, but because of the gerrymandered schedule, they can finish with 5 teams at 13 or more conference wins, which helps for seeding in the tourney. We may be overall better than the Big 10- but I would say that I'd much rather take my chances with a 5 seed compared to a 6.

And for crying out loud- ESPN is NOT the only one saying stuff about the Big East. CBS did this weekend. So to act like ESPN is the lone wolf saying stuff about the Big East is just wrong. And one thing- the more that DePaul wins in conference, the more loud the saying will get. I said that 5 DePaul wins would be really bad for the conference. They're 40% there.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEhomer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:37 pm

oh trust me, i have steamed over their antics so many times as a knicks fan over the years. I have simply come to accept that this is a way of business. it has gotten so blatant and unprofessional at times you have to wonder if they themselves even believe what they write. I stopped watching ESPN several years ago. I catch the highlights every now and then but that's it. I don't pay attention whatesoever to what their so called experts say or write.
BEhomer

Postby BEwannabe » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:05 pm

hard to put this in perspective as the NBE is forecasted to end up with #2 ranked OOC SOS. What does Goodman want? It's probably a no win situation, personally I think NBE should play more road games OOC. SOS worked this year but to really get universal credibility you need to do as VCU and Zags and go and play good competition away from home and not play 99% of your ooc games at home. But this year that personal bias is not material because even with all the home games and not a very distinguished away record the Big East has risen to the top of OOC SOS. So what Goodman says about deep run is picking fly poop out of pepper. As another poster has noted, how many other teams in USA have deep run capability?
BEwannabe

Postby Jet915 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:38 pm

BEhomer wrote:correction. it's not news it's a show. it's not journalism it's entertainment. all they're after is ratings and $. if it means cutting off the competition like Fox sports by belittling Big East, why shouldn't they? I anticipate Fox to do the same.

I don't know how bias Fox is but I watch alot of FS1 and on the ticker, they actually show what channel you can see all the games including ESPN games.
Jet915

Postby BEwannabe » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:41 pm

stever20 wrote: I said that 5 DePaul wins would be really bad for the conference. They're 40% there.

If DePaul wins 5 games then the Big East is not very good. DePaul is not a good basketball team, yes, they have some individual talent but they are weak defensively and show little discipline on offense and don't have very good ball handlers. Easy recipe for beating DePaul is to pressure the ball and they will beat themselves.
BEwannabe

Postby DemonLS » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:22 pm

I watch DePaul EVERY game in-person. Yes, the are average ball handlers but they have been more patient with the ball offensively lately....just like earlier in the season. Their talent level is still under-rated.

DePaul may win a few more games in conference so don't be too surprised.

Why does the Big East suck if DePaul wins rather than maybe the Big East has lots of depth because DePaul won a few games? DePaul has not figured out how to win / win consistently as a program once again.

Please do keep in mind that I will take DePaul's history up against any other Big East Team though. That does not help now but....
DemonLS

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:35 pm

DemonLS wrote:I watch DePaul EVERY game in-person. Yes, the are average ball handlers but they have been more patient with the ball offensively lately....just like earlier in the season. Their talent level is still under-rated.

Why does the Big East suck if DePaul wins rather than maybe the Big East has lots of depth because DePaul won a few games? DePaul has not figured out how to win / win consistently as a program once again.

Please do keep in mind that I will take DePaul's history up against any other Big East Team though. That does not help now but....

It's simple really...in non-conference play DePaul lost to Lehigh, Illinois State, Ohio, and Loyola Marymount. DePaul winning a bunch of Big East games doesn't suggest that the Big East is deep. It suggests that all of those mid and low majors could also beat every Big East team that DePaul beats, which is not a good perception to have.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby RDinNY » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:46 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
DemonLS wrote:I watch DePaul EVERY game in-person. Yes, the are average ball handlers but they have been more patient with the ball offensively lately....just like earlier in the season. Their talent level is still under-rated.

It's simple really...in non-conference play DePaul lost to Lehigh, Illinois State, Ohio, and Loyola Marymount. DePaul winning a bunch of Big East games doesn't suggest that the Big East is deep. It suggests that all of those mid and low majors could also beat every Big East team that DePaul beats, which is not a good perception to have.

So then beat Depaul. I don't understand why they are being blamed for winning. Blame the guys who lose to them.
RDinNY

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:05 pm

RDinNY wrote:
So then beat Depaul. I don't understand why they are being blamed for winning. Blame the guys who lose to them.

I agree with you. I'm not blaming them for winning. DePaul has the same right to compete for the Big East Championship that the other 9 schools in the league do. I was just disputing the point that DePaul winning more than a few makes the conference appear deeper.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby ivet » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:08 pm

RDinNY wrote:

EXACTLY!!!It's funny some of these posters here. They "want" DePaul to finally fix themselves and be relevant again because it helps the "BE brand" but when DePaul starts winning, they start complaining. In reality, they really just want DePaul to stay in the cellar for the guaranteed win. If DePaul is suppose to be a weaker team due to their December loses, then the teams they beat should have beat them. Want a ticket to the Dance? Stop complaining because you lost to an "inferior" team.
ivet

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board