What is the relationship between your school & the state one

The home for Big East hoops

Re: What is the relationship between your school & the state

Postby cm5yz6 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:24 pm

Xudash wrote:
cm5yz6 wrote:
Xudash wrote:bringing up national championships from the Kennedy administration is ridiculous.

That is, as I already stated, my point. There hasn't been much recent national success by the two teams in the rivalry. I'm not trying to troll, just hoping we can keep our claims reasonable and saying Xavier-UC is a "top rate rivalry" with the likes of UNC-Duke, GTown-Syracuse, and UK-Louisville is unreasonable (they just haven't been there nationally like the the members of these rivalries). Once that is agreed upon, then the X-UC rivalry is no longer "top rate," it is, by definition, "second rate" (though that sounds harsh, its not meant that way, just in a rung below the top level).

So, prior to last year, do you have any clue of what Xavier accomplished in the prior ten years in the NCAA Tournament? Your statement about - at least Xavier in this case - not having much recent national success is idiotic.

If your standard for this is that "only schools that have made it to the F4 and/or won NC's" can be considered for the best rivalry discussion, then you truly are clueless. The RIVALRY topic is about just that: rivalries. It doesn't get much better than Army v. Navy in football, when it comes to rivalries. The tradition behind Harvard v. Yale is fueled by that rivalry. The topic here is about rivals.

I guess I could show you a number of national articles that show the X v. UC rivalry rated anywhere from a top ten status to no worse than in the top 20. As I noted before, this isn't about me expressing my opinion on this topic; I'm trying to point out to you that the national media look at it this way, which is to note that they aren't looking at it the same as you. So, though it's one article's list of the top 9: http://www.totalprosports.com/2012/02/10/9-best-rivalries-in-college-basketball-2012-edition/#7. Please note that this article has Xavier/UC ahead of one of your examples: Syracuse/Georgetown. It isn't my article. It isn't my opinion. I could look up other articles that have S/G ahead of X/UC, but both rated in close proximity to one another, which is to suggest that your "second rate" bucket is pretty lame as well.

If you aren't trolling, then consider getting your facts straight and reconsider your criteria. Xavier HAS HAD much recent national success. Teams with national championships aren't the only ones that are ALLOWED to have significant rivals and rivalries.

Xavier and UC couldn't be more different, institutionally speaking. They're 3.5 miles apart from one another. And they both reside in a college basketball crazy town. They go way back in terms of competing against one another.

If your criteria for being a top rate rivarly is focused on mutual dislike and good games (which isn't a bad set of criteria), then yeah I give you UC-Xavier is a top rate rivalry (which I even said that it should be in one of my first posts - something like "most hated" or something like that). But if that's your criteria then we need to add some low level conference, DIII, and NAIA rivalries to that top rate list. The difference in opinion here is I guess I would prefer a "top rated rivalry" to have it all dislike, good games, and teams winning national championships/reaching F4s. I can see where the national prominence may not be important to others to be "top rated," but to me, to be truly "top rate," the rivalry needs to have a significant impact on the national season.
cm5yz6

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ljay » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:58 pm

whiteandblue77 wrote:
Omaha1 wrote: The diehard Bluejays fans hate everything about the Huskers but there's a large segment who grew up in the state somewhere who root for them in football which we don't have?

First off, I'm from Omaha, went to Creighton Prep and am a 3rd Generation Creighton Alum. I love Creighton Basketball, soccer, baseball.

It's totally absurd to not understand why I root for Husker football and despise all other Husker sports.

1. If you're born and raised in Nebraska, if you're not a Husker football fan you might as well be from outer space because I've never met a normal red-blooded heterosexual male (or female for that matter) Nebraskan who didn't
2. The basketball team is a complete joke, dodged Creighton for 40 years and didnt' start playing us until they built the Bob Devaney center with Football money (Devaney was a friggin Football coach). Other than football, Basketball and the rest of the NU sports, especially baseball, are supremely hated by me and all Creighton Alums... except maybe Track because we don't have track.

Very simply, Husker football is completely different from all other NU sports when it comes to Creighton alums from Nebraska.

Creighton has a huge population of out-of-state students and most were Husker FOOTBALL haters and they all had problems with the passion that Nebraskan-born-and-bred Creightonians had for the 'skers football (especially those from Iowa and Colorado, two of Nebraska football's bitches). Get over it already.

... one last thing, I'm also a Notre Dame football fan, which is VERY rare in Nebraska...

Go Jays!

E'f UN-Lincoln sports including football.
ljay

Postby bluejayfanatic » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:53 pm

blueblood wrote:The dorkism of husker worship in this state is embarrassing.

Agreed. I loved Omaha when I lived there to attend Creighton, but felt no connection to the state of Nebraska. Never understood why Omaha/Creighton people feel such a strong connection to the school in Lincoln, especially considering that the City of Omaha bears almost no resemblance to the rest of the state.

I share the experience that everyone at Creighton loved Creighton basketball, the out-of-staters (which included me and at Creighton seemed like 80% or more) hated Husker football, the townies loved Nebraska football, and there was nothing in between. I always remember asking the Jayskers "You are cheering for Nebraska in [insert middle-tier Bowl Game], but do you think they will be cheering for us in the NCAA Tournament in March?"
bluejayfanatic

Postby more cowbell » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:27 pm

The XU-Cincinnati rivalry is definitely one of the most heated in the country because it extends beyond what happens on the court. It is public vs. private school. it is perceived as upper class vs. working class. The other thing that differentiates this rivalry from some others is that they only play once per year. You get one shot to beat the other team or you have to wait until the next year.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... n/1774975/
more cowbell

Postby whiteandblue77 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:45 pm

ljay wrote:
whiteandblue77 wrote:
Omaha1 wrote: The diehard Bluejays fans hate everything about the Huskers but there's a large segment who grew up in the state somewhere who root for them in football which we don't have?

First off, I'm from Omaha, went to Creighton Prep and am a 3rd Generation Creighton Alum. I love Creighton Basketball, soccer, baseball.

It's totally absurd to not understand why I root for Husker football and despise all other Husker sports.

1. If you're born and raised in Nebraska, if you're not a Husker football fan you might as well be from outer space because I've never met a normal red-blooded heterosexual male (or female for that matter) Nebraskan who didn't
2. The basketball team is a complete joke, dodged Creighton for 40 years and didnt' start playing us until they built the Bob Devaney center with Football money (Devaney was a friggin Football coach). Other than football, Basketball and the rest of the NU sports, especially baseball, are supremely hated by me and all Creighton Alums... except maybe Track because we don't have track.

Very simply, Husker football is completely different from all other NU sports when it comes to Creighton alums from Nebraska.

Creighton has a huge population of out-of-state students and most were Husker FOOTBALL haters and they all had problems with the passion that Nebraskan-born-and-bred Creightonians had for the 'skers football (especially those from Iowa and Colorado, two of Nebraska football's bitches). Get over it already.

... one last thing, I'm also a Notre Dame football fan, which is VERY rare in Nebraska...

Go Jays!

You were not born and raised in Nebraska. You don't count, and you'll never understand that we can love Creigthon Baskteball more than you and HATE Nebraska basketball more than you while still loving the football team.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby gmoser1210 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:28 pm

Butler has two Big Ten schools, Indiana and Purdue, plus Notre Dame to deal with. A lot of Butler students were raised as Purdue, IU, and/or Notre Dame fans. There's definitely some crossover.

As far as the programs go, Butler played at Indiana recently, but Indiana (and Notre Dame) won't step foot in Hinkle and haven't for a very long time. In the past, it was a no win situation for them because Butler didn't have a strong name yet but was still good enough to beat them. Now IU and Purdue play Butler in alternating years as part of the crossroads classic, but the way it's set up Notre Dame is guaranteed to not play Butler. I doubt any of those three will play at Hinkle anytime soon.

Butler could potentially play Purdue twice this year, depending on how the chips fall in Orlando on Thanksgiving. They're also scheduled to play each other in the Classic this year on Dec. 14.
Butler Bulldogs
'62, '97, '98, '00, '01, '03, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '13, '15, '16, '17, '18
'33, '34, '47, '52, '53, '59, '61, 62, '97, '98, '00, '01, '02, '03, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11
gmoser1210

Postby ljay » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:18 pm

whiteandblue77 wrote:

You were not born and raised in Nebraska. You don't count, and you'll never understand that we can love Creigthon Baskteball more than you and HATE Nebraska basketball more than you while still loving the football team.

Actually, I am Omaha born and raised. When I was a kid my dad liked UNL football so I did too. As I matured, I came to hate it,,,especially after living in Lincoln for many years.

The Gomers that worship that school especially from the sticks of Nebraska nauseate me. All you hear on talk radio is UNL football. All you see on the evening sports news is UNL football. All the locals want to talk about no matter what time of year, is UNL football.

Some of those farmers leave their entire estate to the UNL Foundation because of....wait for it....football!! They have no other connection to the school. They didn't go there, they don't know anyone from the school, they just go to the stadium six times per fall and put on their red overalls and corncob hats. And the rest of the nation paints a picture of everyone out here as living in corn fields and riding hay racks because of it.

Cornhead Gomers, it's freaking embarassing.
ljay

Postby whiteandblue77 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:03 pm

ljay wrote:
whiteandblue77 wrote:

Actually, I am Omaha born and raised. When I was a kid my dad liked UNL football so I did too. As I matured, I came to hate it,,,especially after living in Lincoln for many years.

The Gomers that worship that school especially from the sticks of Nebraska nauseate me. All you hear on talk radio is UNL football. All you see on the evening sports news is UNL football. All the locals want to talk about no matter what time of year, is UNL football.

Some of those farmers leave their entire estate to the UNL Foundation because of....wait for it....football!! They have no other connection to the school. They didn't go there, they don't know anyone from the school, they just go to the stadium six times per fall and put on their red overalls and corncob hats. And the rest of the nation paints a picture of everyone out here as living in corn fields and riding hay racks because of it.

Cornhead Gomers, it's freaking embarassing.

LOL! I suppose stinkin' Lincoln will do that to a person... there hasn't been a lot to be a fan of since Touchdown Tommie left.

I'm enjoying ND's resurgence and I will again be waking up the echoes this fall... I really think Notre Dame should stay in the BE... they would have the entire conference rooting for them during football season and have some great rivalries for all other sports... ACC, especially the Carolinas, is NO PLACE for the Golden Domers...
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby nathanhm » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:15 am

whiteandblue77 wrote:
I'm enjoying ND's resurgence and I will again be waking up the echoes this fall... I really think Notre Dame should stay in the BE... they would have the entire conference rooting for them during football season and have some great rivalries for all other sports... ACC, especially the Carolinas, is NO PLACE for the Golden Domers...

Um no, most of us would never ever ever ever root for Notre Dame football. Notre Dame football is 90% of the reason all of this went down. Personally I'd love for ND to get kicked out of the Big Boys football club and struggle to make any money as an independent, get no access to the football playoff, and beg the Big East for an all-sports minus football invite. And then of course we'd say go F yourself.
nathanhm

Postby BluejayBanterDanny » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:49 am

whiteandblue77 wrote:

Go Jays!

Born, rasied, still living in Omaha. As a kid, I was a Husker football fan. Couldn't avoid it -- friends, family, etc. I call that the pre-choice era. When I opened my eyes and was able to think like a normal person, seeing through all the BS propaganda, I came to hate the University of Nebraska-Lincoln athletic department. In most sports, I hope they lose every game they play, and that is especially true in football. Nebraska football fans are the most delusional group of people on the planet and its embarrassing for the great (meh, make it mediocre) state of Nebraska.

Totally understand the "grew up with it" argument, but it takes some really strong compartmentalizing and, really, a blind eye to be a big Creighton fan and also root for/give money to an athletic department that constantly looks down on your school, ducks you in any sport when it's convenient (basketball for about 25 years, now volleyball because, OMG, Creighton won a match) and employs some of the biggest a-holes in collegiate sports.
BluejayBanterDanny

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board