Rankings for 2021-22

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Rankings for 2021-22

Postby Friarsfan94 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:47 pm

stever20 wrote:
kayako wrote:Pretty fair except Providence should be in the teens.

UCONN just needs to get some wins, and they'll shoot up in the rankings.

Providence dropped so much because teams just below them got such huge wins last week-
Nova over Creighton by so much
LSU over Kentucky and Tennessee
Texas Tech over Kansas
Wisconsin over Purdue, Iowa, and Maryland

I think also like it or not, the 32 point defeat by Marquette hurt Providence with the voters. I know Seth Davis mentioned that last night to a Providence fan last night about it.

Every other team on our schedule got to pass off their losses to us as “covid and injuries,” but yet we lose on the road without our top (really, our ONLY) 3 point shooter/3rd leading scorer, who was coincidentally also out for our only other horrendous showing of the season against Virginia, and not a peep lol. So all these assholes who failed to give us our props and repeatedly mentioned we were only beating teams with injuries and covid CAN NOT say a word about this loss other than “meh, injuries and covid.” You just can’t be so self-contradicting and be taken seriously.
Friarsfan94

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:52 pm

Friarsfan94 wrote:
stever20 wrote:
kayako wrote:Pretty fair except Providence should be in the teens.

UCONN just needs to get some wins, and they'll shoot up in the rankings.

Providence dropped so much because teams just below them got such huge wins last week-
Nova over Creighton by so much
LSU over Kentucky and Tennessee
Texas Tech over Kansas
Wisconsin over Purdue, Iowa, and Maryland

I think also like it or not, the 32 point defeat by Marquette hurt Providence with the voters. I know Seth Davis mentioned that last night to a Providence fan last night about it.

Every other team on our schedule got to pass off their losses to us as “covid and injuries,” but yet we lose on the road without our top (really, our ONLY) 3 point shooter/3rd leading scorer, who was coincidentally also out for our only other horrendous showing of the season against Virginia, and not a peep lol. So all these assholes who failed to give us our props and repeatedly mentioned we were only beating teams with injuries and covid CAN NOT say a word about this loss other than “meh, injuries and covid.” You just can’t be so self-contradicting and be taken seriously.

I know what you mean. I think even a close loss to Marquette and there would have been a pretty big fall just from all the other teams winning against such good teams. Nova, LSU, Texas Tech, and Wisconsin. The big MOV against just made it a bit worse. End of the day I think PC is still in excellent shape. Still 4-1 vs Q1 teams and 3-1 on the road(2 of them Q1). I think the polls mean less and less each year.
stever20

Postby Friarsfan94 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:30 pm

stever20 wrote:I know what you mean. I think even a close loss to Marquette and there would have been a pretty big fall just from all the other teams winning against such good teams. Nova, LSU, Texas Tech, and Wisconsin. The big MOV against just made it a bit worse. End of the day I think PC is still in excellent shape. Still 4-1 vs Q1 teams and 3-1 on the road(2 of them Q1). I think the polls mean less and less each year.

I just want to say by no means am I personally excusing the Marquette loss. AJ Reeves is absolutely not a 30+ point difference in a game. BUT, if your remarks for our Seton Hall, UConn, Wisconsin wins are all “yea but those teams weren’t at full strength.” Then you MUST say the same for PC, no? Why do the rules change for PC’s analyses of losses?

P.S. While I don’t think AJ Reeves is a 30 point difference, I do also think it needs to be mentioned that oddly in our 2 losses this season, both of which we looked completely dysfunctional, we were missing Reeves. Maybe it had an affect, maybe it was just a coincidence that actually had no ramifications on the outcomes, but it’s worth noting.
Friarsfan94

Postby stever20 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:33 pm

Friarsfan94 wrote:
stever20 wrote:I know what you mean. I think even a close loss to Marquette and there would have been a pretty big fall just from all the other teams winning against such good teams. Nova, LSU, Texas Tech, and Wisconsin. The big MOV against just made it a bit worse. End of the day I think PC is still in excellent shape. Still 4-1 vs Q1 teams and 3-1 on the road(2 of them Q1). I think the polls mean less and less each year.

I just want to say by no means am I personally excusing the Marquette loss. AJ Reeves is absolutely not a 30+ point difference in a game. BUT, if your remarks for our Seton Hall, UConn, Wisconsin wins are all “yea but those teams weren’t at full strength.” Then you MUST say the same for PC, no? Why do the rules change for PC’s analyses of losses?

P.S. While I don’t think AJ Reeves is a 30 point difference, I do also think it needs to be mentioned that oddly in our 2 losses this season, both of which we looked completely dysfunctional, we were missing Reeves. Maybe it had an affect, maybe it was just a coincidence that actually had no ramifications on the outcomes, but it’s worth noting.

Yeah it's definitely a double standard for sure on PC.

And will say if you guys win a lot more games especially when Reeves gets back I think your seeding will be really good. That's the kind of thing that the committee is supposed to take into account.
stever20

Postby kayako » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:56 pm

Friarsfan94 wrote:

Providence is ranked 50th Kenpom and 35th NET. Both are the lowest among AP top 25 by a fair margin (Wisconsin KP 30 & Seton Hall NET 26). I think the Friars has been overlooked this season, but the logic is there for their ranking below what the resume indicates.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:24 pm

kayako wrote:
Friarsfan94 wrote:

Providence is ranked 50th Kenpom and 35th NET. Both are the lowest among AP top 25 by a fair margin (Wisconsin KP 30 & Seton Hall NET 26). I think the Friars has been overlooked this season, but the logic is there for their ranking below what the resume indicates.

Yeah their MOV isn't like some of the other teams. Only 6.2 right now. Compare to Nova at 11.5, Xavier at 13.6, Seton Hall at 13.5, and UConn at 15.6. Only +1.2 in conference play so far.
stever20

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:53 pm

I don't recall the exact situations for UConn and Wisconsin, but with Seton Hall I don't think anyone would have made a big deal about them missing 1 player. It was a big deal because they were missing 7.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby stever20 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:02 pm

Hall2012 wrote:I don't recall the exact situations for UConn and Wisconsin, but with Seton Hall I don't think anyone would have made a big deal about them missing 1 player. It was a big deal because they were missing 7.

Yeah Seton Hall was missing a ton of guys and also they lost really close as well.
stever20

Postby Friarsfan94 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:44 am

Hall2012 wrote:I don't recall the exact situations for UConn and Wisconsin, but with Seton Hall I don't think anyone would have made a big deal about them missing 1 player. It was a big deal because they were missing 7.

And yet you guys still ran more players than we did in our rotation that game. But again, it’s not really my point at all. I agree you were not at full strength and had no center against Watson. Obvious handicap. My point is, highlighting that small rotation of guys Cooley uses, when our ONLY 3 point shooter and 3rd leading scorer on the team with a 7.5 man rotation isn’t available due to injury, then that loss also needs to be handicapped for the time being. That’s the precedent that was set, can’t be self-contradicting about it. If Marquette throttles us by 30 at the Dunk and we’re at full strength, by all means, pile it on.
Friarsfan94

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:53 am

Yes, the Friars do intentionally play a short rotation and that magnifies the impact of losing 1 member of that rotation.

That's also a big part of why PC and Nova were such unfortunate draws for SHU while shorthanded. SHU's game is to play a deep rotation and wear down opponents with shorter rotations to take over down the stretch. As 2 teams that play notably short rotations, that's a key advantage that a full strength SHU would look to exploit against PC and Nova. Instead, they were only able to run the same number of players as their opponents.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board