Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby kayako » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:32 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:As for Gonzaga, you can't tell me there isn't a way to get this done. No one will care about the geography.

Actually if Gonzaga doesn't want to, there is no way to get this done. If I am Gonzaga, I'd stay put or look into joining the B12 before even thinking about the BE. And I don't think Val really wants them either. Long term risk is way too big.
supernova
kayako

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:57 pm

Based on the improbable scenarios discussed here, which are cool, there are only two no brainers:

- SYRACUSE
- NOTRE DAME

...and i favor immediately adding:

- GONZAGA

...and i'm less excited about these guys than i am about the Orangemen and Fighting Irish, but of course would invite them:

- LOUISVILLE

Of the others mentioned, these would make my list to consider at some point in the future:

- VCU.
- Dayton.

Also, i don't like the idea of adding football cast-offs-- schools whose conferences would cut them loose in a heartbeat:

- Wake Forest.
- Vanderbilt.

Also, cuz i'm a spiteful guy, i would say no to these schools who i have little interest in, even Fredo Corleone up the road from me, and i'm going to write their names in all lowercase cuz F them:

- pitt.
- west virginia
- boston college

Also, cuz this school has been the puppet-master in incompetently trying to kill the Big East over the past 30 years, i give a serious NO to these a-holes, also in lowercase:

- duke.

Also, because these guys have nothing in common with us, and i'd assume most likely their fans would give two sh-ts about joining us and we'd have to hear them complain etc, these guys are a No:

- BYU.
- Baylor
- Iowa State
- rest of the broken-up Big-12.

Schools i'd say a serious NO to, that would be a serious boring and a snoozer of an addition:

- Saint Louis.
- Davidson.
- Richmond.

Wildcard longshot semi-comatose schools that, if they get their act together, would give us access to major metro areas, and have easy access to NBA (and/or NHL) arenas:

- Northeastern
- San Francisco.
- Long Beach State.
- Duquesne.
- Florida Atlantic.

Wildcard longshot non-comatose program:

- UNLV.

Schools that i would veto because its city stole a team from another city, such as Worcester stealing the Pawtucket Red Sox from us:

- Holy Cross.

School that would be thinking way outside the box, but is kinda a genius idea:

- Carleton in Toronto.

School that i would consider only if Fran McCaffery returned to their sideline:

- Siena.

School that in 10 years may be worth kicking the tires on:

- St Thomas in Minnesota.

Schools that are irrelevant "bridges" to other schools:

- Saint Louis again.
- Denver (if Gonzaga joins us)
- Drake.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Husky_U » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:07 pm

^ Great breakdown. Carleton (CA) is very intriguing.
Husky_U

Postby DeltaV » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:41 pm

kayako wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:As for Gonzaga, you can't tell me there isn't a way to get this done. No one will care about the geography.

Actually if Gonzaga doesn't want to, there is no way to get this done. If I am Gonzaga, I'd stay put or look into joining the B12 before even thinking about the BE. And I don't think Val really wants them either. Long term risk is way too big.

Hasn't Few been quoted saying he'd join the Big East given the chance? Or at least would be interested?

I doubt it's been offered...and that isn't likely to change. If they could go basketball-only, I bet they would, but since they'd have to go all sports, it's just too much. I think we all just need to keep our minds on our side of the Rockies (and probably Mississippi, no offence intended Creighton).

As for BilyJ's comments above...only disagreement I have is with Davidson. I wouldn't mind staking a flag right in ACC territory, even if they might not be the strongest contender. They'd fit in with us, I'd think. Although, not going to lie, a team from America's Hat would be interesting.

Ok, I lied...I'd be against Louisville as well. Little too trashy, academics I don't think are quite there...they just aren't a good fit for the conference.
Last edited by DeltaV on Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby Django » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:46 pm

I’m sick of hearing about Gonzaga. Not one Big East program has any logical reason not to be Gonzaga. Only Villanova is pulling their weight in this conference. We should all be embarrassed and our ADs should be in the hot seat because there is ZERO excuse for any of us not to be the Zags. We don’t need expansion, we need to man up ourselves.
Django

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:34 pm

kayako wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:
As for Gonzaga, you can't tell me there isn't a way to get this done. No one will care about the geography.

I don't think Val really wants them.

Link:
In February 2016, Big East Commissioner Val Ackerman wrote:
The Big East was currently "not in the market for more programs," and that if it was, geography would play a decisive role in determining any addition of members.

decisive - dictionary.com
1. having the power or quality of deciding; putting an end to controversy; crucial or most important

2. characterized by or displaying no or little hesitation; resolute; determined

3. indisputable; definite

4. unsurpassable; commanding

... Image
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby TBC Alum » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:45 pm

Husky_U wrote:^ Great breakdown. Carleton (CA) is very intriguing.

To use Billyjack's own words
outside the box, but is kinda a genius idea

The picture of their gym on their website is a definite no, but I love the outside the box (country) thinking!
CU clap clap CU
TBC Alum

Postby kayako » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:44 pm

DeltaV wrote:
Hasn't Few been quoted saying he'd join the Big East given the chance? Or at least would be interested?

I doubt it's been offered...and that isn't likely to change. If they could go basketball-only, I bet they would, but since they'd have to go all sports, it's just too much. I think we all just need to keep our minds on our side of the Rockies (and probably Mississippi, no offence intended Creighton).

“I actually think the Big East is positioned, if they want, to expand,” Few told William C. Rhoden of the New York Times last March. “If they wanted to expand nationally, I think that would be really, really crafty, and they could be a national basketball-only conference.”

Problem is people are talking about Gonzaga as a single expansion candidate, but Few and Gonzaga AD doesn't think that way. An expansion west means Gonzaga + several other schools that are, if we're being honest, several notches below the usual A10/AAC programs that people are quick to dismiss around here. Also this was said back in 2017. Gonzaga has since been able to reduce their conference games to 16, fix the wcc tournament format that favors the #1 seed, negotiated bigger share of its tournament credits earned, and started landing 5 star recruits left and right... I think they're happy with their 30+ win seasons and a mortal lock on the West Region #1 seed.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:58 pm

billyjack wrote:
- Carleton in Toronto.

Complication with this is the TV contract with FS1 not available in Canada. Nice angle, though!
supernova
kayako

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:43 am

kayako wrote:
This was said back in 2017. Gonzaga has since been able to reduce their conference games to 16, fix the wcc tournament format that favors the #1 seed, negotiated bigger share of its tournament credits earned, and started landing 5 star recruits left and right... I think they're happy with their 30+ win seasons and a mortal lock on the West Region #1 seed.

All true - and verifiably so.

Gonzaga Bulldogs men's basketball - Wikipedia
2016–17 • Mark Few • 37–2 • 17–1 • 1st • NCAA Division I Runner-up
2017–18 • Mark Few • 32–5 • 17–1 • 1st • NCAA Division I Sweet Sixteen
2018–19 • Mark Few • 33–4 • 16–0 • 1st • NCAA Division I Elite Eight
2019–20 • Mark Few • 31–2 • 15–1 • 1st • No postseason held
2020–21 • Mark Few • 31–1 • 15–0 • 1st • NCAA Division I Runner-up

Deal helps Gonzaga earn more money for NCAA Tournament success – Associated Press - March 26, 2019

Final 2021 AP Men’s Basketball – Associated Press - March 15, 2021
1. Gonzaga • 31-1 • 1500 points
2. Illinois • 24-7 • 1415 points
3. Baylor • 28-2 • 1397 points
4. Michigan • 23-5 • 1280 points
5. Alabama •26-7 • 1242 points

College Basketball Rankings: Top 25 And 1 - Gary Parrish, CBS Sports - August 6, 2021
1. GONZAGA • 31-1
The Zags are expected to bring back Drew Timme and Andrew Nembhard, both of whom started for a team that finished 31-1. They'll combine with a star-studded recruiting class - highlighted by five-star prospects Chet Holmgren and Hunter Sallis - and allow Gonzaga to enter the season as the favorite to win the national title. --

2. UCLA • 22-10
3. TEXAS • 19-8
4. KANSAS • 21-9

5. VILLANOVA • 18-7

The return of Collin Gillispie and Jermaine Samuels means the Wildcats will return four of the top five scorers from a team that won the Big East title by multiple games. So Jay Wright will have the pieces necessary to compete for his third national championship.

Link:
On July 30, 2021 Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
..... Mark Few - Wikipedia

In 2027, the last thing the President of Gonzaga wants is the permanent financial commitment of sending non-revenue sports teams to the East Coast while Mark Few is enjoying his days fishing.

Django wrote:
I’m sick of hearing about Gonzaga.

Amen.
Fieldhouse Flyer

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board