Bracketology

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Bracketology

Postby marquette » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:49 pm

stever20 wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:Lunardi has UNI playing in Dayton now. He bumped Cincinnati out of the field.

What exactly does UNI have on their resume? 4 Q1 and 2 wins. Compare that to Cincy for instance with 10- with a chance of more in the AAC tourney- plus Vermont is #77 right now, so JUST outside Q2.

I thought your party line was "any bid outside the big big football schools." Why so upset? It's still the same number of bids for those schools.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby scoscox » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:37 pm

Memphis has 0 shot at a bid without winning the conference tournament. To pretend otherwise is to put your head in the sand. Wichita and UC basically need to win out and get to the title game to make it. Just isn't a good league.

Stever constantly talks about how important the non-conference is, as if anyone is unaware, but the American was abysmal in the non-conference. they didn't pick up any significant wins. that's a problem. it's why teams like tulsa and memphis basically have no shot at a bid.
scoscox

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:00 pm

marquette wrote:
stever20 wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:Lunardi has UNI playing in Dayton now. He bumped Cincinnati out of the field.

What exactly does UNI have on their resume? 4 Q1 and 2 wins. Compare that to Cincy for instance with 10- with a chance of more in the AAC tourney- plus Vermont is #77 right now, so JUST outside Q2.

I thought your party line was "any bid outside the big big football schools." Why so upset? It's still the same number of bids for those schools.

So metrics apply to screw the AAC, but they don't apply to help the AAC. Gotcha. The metrics should be consistent. UNI has an extremely thin resume. The MVC was just not good this year. You say what about the AAC? The AAC OOC winning percentage was .691 to MVC at .583. That's a huge difference.

There is no reason why Northern Iowa should get in over Cincy. None.

Anyways, think we'll find the guy from Bracketville(who is #1) will have Cincy comfortably above Northern Iowa. And the problem for Northern Iowa, they're done. Cincy can still add 2 more Q 1/2 wins to their resume- and have a 3rd morph into a Q2 win.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:04 pm

scoscox wrote:Memphis has 0 shot at a bid without winning the conference tournament. To pretend otherwise is to put your head in the sand. Wichita and UC basically need to win out and get to the title game to make it. Just isn't a good league.

Stever constantly talks about how important the non-conference is, as if anyone is unaware, but the American was abysmal in the non-conference. they didn't pick up any significant wins. that's a problem. it's why teams like tulsa and memphis basically have no shot at a bid.

Memphis did have a good non conference. 2 teams they beat that are very helpful right now- NC State and Tennessee(both away from home). You can pretend that didn't happen, but really it did happen. If Memphis makes the AAC title game, they're a lock to be in. If they've beaten Houston on Sunday, might not even have to make the title game.
stever20

Postby Edrick » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:39 am

Stevie Onebid,

Memphis plays in a dumpster fire of a conference. Literally every team above them on the deep periphery of the Bubble has actual chances vs teams that matter to someone.

http://bracketmatrix.com/

Like it’s peer conferences, the Atlantic Sun and MAAC, the AAC is getting one bid
Edrick

Postby stever20 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:07 am

Edrick wrote:Stevie Onebid,

Memphis plays in a dumpster fire of a conference. Literally every team above them on the deep periphery of the Bubble has actual chances vs teams that matter to someone.

http://bracketmatrix.com/

Like it’s peer conferences, the Atlantic Sun and MAAC, the AAC is getting one bid

And a lot of times it's a bubble vs bubble matchup, meaning someone has to lose....

And Memphis could have 2 chances with Q1 Houston and Q1 chances with Wichita and Cincy.

Keep dreaming pal.

Also, bracket matrix doesn't measure the 1st few teams out well at all...
stever20

Postby kayako » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:36 am

3/7 Bracketville: https://bracketville.wordpress.com/s-curve/

2 Hall
2 Nova
4 Creighton
6 Butler
8 Providence
9 Marquette
11 Xavier (last bye)

3/7 Palm: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

2 Nova (midwest)
3 Hall (east)
3 Creighton (south)
5 Butler
7 Marquette
9 Providence
9 Xavier

It looks like the consensus is that MVC will not be stealing a bid. That leaves the MWC, Southern, AAC and A10 tourneys to watch for bid-thieves.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:44 am

kayako wrote:3/7 Bracketville: https://bracketville.wordpress.com/s-curve/

2 Hall
2 Nova
4 Creighton
6 Butler
8 Providence
9 Marquette
11 Xavier (last bye)

3/7 Palm: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

2 Nova (midwest)
3 Hall (east)
3 Creighton (south)
5 Butler
7 Marquette
9 Providence
9 Xavier

It looks like the consensus is that MVC will not be stealing a bid. That leaves the MWC, Southern, AAC and A10 tourneys to watch for bid-thieves.

Yeah a lot of bubble teams huge Aztec fans today when they play Utah State. And not just the ones right on the line, but for instance today Xavier- a Utah State win, and they go to the main bracket, and Xavier heads to Dayton.
stever20

Postby scoscox » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:01 pm

stever20 wrote:Memphis did have a good non conference. 2 teams they beat that are very helpful right now- NC State and Tennessee(both away from home). You can pretend that didn't happen, but really it did happen. If Memphis makes the AAC title game, they're a lock to be in. If they've beaten Houston on Sunday, might not even have to make the title game.

I'd be a lot more inclined to argue with you if you would stop strawmanning arguments and just genuinely being dishonest. I never said memphis had a bad non-conference. The American conference had a bad nonconference. Memphis had the best of any of the teams in the league and they didn't exactly light the world on fire. That's why all these teams are struggling to get on the right side of the bubble. this is obvious to anyone paying attention.

Memphis isn't even close to the bubble. they're like 60th in NET and Kenpom. they're not getting in barring a miracle. gotta root for your conference though i guess
scoscox

Postby stever20 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:07 pm

scoscox wrote:
stever20 wrote:Memphis did have a good non conference. 2 teams they beat that are very helpful right now- NC State and Tennessee(both away from home). You can pretend that didn't happen, but really it did happen. If Memphis makes the AAC title game, they're a lock to be in. If they've beaten Houston on Sunday, might not even have to make the title game.

I'd be a lot more inclined to argue with you if you would stop strawmanning arguments and just genuinely being dishonest. I never said memphis had a bad non-conference. The American conference had a bad nonconference. Memphis had the best of any of the teams in the league and they didn't exactly light the world on fire. That's why all these teams are struggling to get on the right side of the bubble. this is obvious to anyone paying attention.

Memphis isn't even close to the bubble. they're like 60th in NET and Kenpom. they're not getting in barring a miracle. gotta root for your conference though i guess

The AAC really didn't have a bad non conference. They won almost 70% of the games.

Also, if you are basing your argument on the NET you are wrong. Do I need to remind you of St John's just last year? Memphis is 47 in SOR, which is a huge predictor of making the tourney.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board