Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby Cheech » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:07 pm

A little soft skinned boys..like shooting fish in a barrel…lol . I love St. Johns need them back and relevant would really spark the conference.
Cheech

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cheech » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:31 pm

Ps….hey Xavier fan… I trust you understand the importance of Endowments to a University, if not Google it and you will see it’s vital. X has the smallest in the entire conference and Dayton’s is 3x Xaviers. That’s a big deal and covid made it worse, so before you take shots do your homework. Your the poorest school in the conference and you need expansion and an influx of cash more than any other school. Lol Xavier…
Cheech

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:45 am

The Big East isn't expanding again and (unless the precedent becomes set for 22 games conference schedules) shouldn't expand. And if it does...honestly...Saint Louis is the only sensible option. I'd love Gonzaga, but Geographically it just makes no sense.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:10 am

Any conference (and network) should regularly perform due diligence on expansion. It doesn't have to lead anywhere in the near-term, but long-term, it is important to have developed relationships in the event that is seismic realignment change at the highest levels of D1. The Big East, and UConn, responsibly did this ever since the split occurred in 2013, and it paved a path for the Huskies to inevitably return home.

Right now, Val and the Presidents should be touching base with Fox to gauge what value they can provide to the network, and consider growth opportunities for the Big East brand and membership. Understandably so, the Big East, right now, is not a priority for Fox - the B1G, PAC and Big 12 collective response to the SEC is surely at the forefront. However, once the dust settles - in weeks or months ahead - our time will come to begin coming to terms on an extension of our TV deal, which will include where there is value opportunities for the conference to expand. As previously stated, I still believe we are trending towards a P2 by the start of the 2030's (w/ the B1G acquiring the PAC AAU programs and a few ACC programs once their GOR nears end, with the SEC finishing off the ACC and possibly taking the remaining leftover value from the Big 12). For programs like Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Boston College and others, I think they inevitably become SOL. Their brand value is not as high as other larger state institutions, with enrollment, alumni and viewership numbers. We could see, in a couple of years, a "course correction" where Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Boston College return to the Big East as non-football members, creating an alliance with UConn, Temple, Cincinnati and a few others for football. That would get the league to 14 members, but provide the conference with enough value to the league and to Fox to finally move away from the round-robin format. Most importantly, they are basketball-first programs, with an historically elite program in Syracuse, and each program with a strong presence in NYC and East Coast.

Much like UConn, I think all the Big East needs to do is sit and wait. In the meantime, keep rivalry games with these programs alive and maintain the relationships for when things hit the fan once again.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby FenwayFriar » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:31 am

Hall2012 wrote:The Big East isn't expanding again and (unless the precedent becomes set for 22 games conference schedules) shouldn't expand. And if it does...honestly...Saint Louis is the only sensible option. I'd love Gonzaga, but Geographically it just makes no sense.

I think geography concerns have been thrown out of the equation at this point. Power conferences are gonna start looking a lot different over the next 4-5 years and they're going to be getting stronger, not weaker. We need to maintain our position as power basketball conference as this chaos begins. The ONLY school that makes sense on both a basketball level and a national relevancy level is Gonzaga. This is the only addition that would improve our current standing in the college basketball landscape.

It would be huge for both the conference and for Gonzaga to finally get them some exposure on the east coast. They can figure out a way to schedule opponents in east coast/west coast pods. I imagine Zags fans would travel VERY well to MSG. The fact is St. Louis just doesn't get it done to improve our brand; they're totally irrelevant on a national scale. And they certainly haven't proven enough on the court.

We only expand if we can add value to the conference (basketball + brand) and Gonzaga is the only one that meets the criteria. Along with many others on this board, I predicted years ago that UConn would be back soon for the same exact reasoning, even when people like Bill Marsh were calling me crazy. I'm predicting Gonzaga is the next addition over the next few years, with Fox having a big say.

One more thing- check out this recent quote from Pac-12 commish George Kliavkoff: "If the media reports turn out to be true, we believe the move by Texas and Oklahoma from the Big 12 to the SEC strengthens our unique position as the only Power Five conference with teams in the Mountain and Pacific time zones." How about the Big East being able to say they're the only conference with teams in the eastern, central, and pacific time zones. Imagine a Tuesday night slate of Providence-UConn at 6:30pm, Marquette-Xavier at 8:30pm, and Gonzaga-Villanova at 10:30pm. Who isn't saying yes to that?
FenwayFriar

Postby DanofXav76 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:14 pm

FenwayFriar wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:The Big East isn't expanding again and (unless the precedent becomes set for 22 games conference schedules) shouldn't expand. And if it does...honestly...Saint Louis is the only sensible option. I'd love Gonzaga, but Geographically it just makes no sense.

I think geography concerns have been thrown out of the equation at this point. Power conferences are gonna start looking a lot different over the next 4-5 years and they're going to be getting stronger, not weaker. We need to maintain our position as power basketball conference as this chaos begins. The ONLY school that makes sense on both a basketball level and a national relevancy level is Gonzaga. This is the only addition that would improve our current standing in the college basketball landscape.

It would be huge for both the conference and for Gonzaga to finally get them some exposure on the east coast. They can figure out a way to schedule opponents in east coast/west coast pods. I imagine Zags fans would travel VERY well to MSG. The fact is St. Louis just doesn't get it done to improve our brand; they're totally irrelevant on a national scale. And they certainly haven't proven enough on the court.

We only expand if we can add value to the conference (basketball + brand) and Gonzaga is the only one that meets the criteria. Along with many others on this board, I predicted years ago that UConn would be back soon for the same exact reasoning, even when people like Bill Marsh were calling me crazy. I'm predicting Gonzaga is the next addition over the next few years, with Fox having a big say.

One more thing- check out this recent quote from Pac-12 commish George Kliavkoff: "If the media reports turn out to be true, we believe the move by Texas and Oklahoma from the Big 12 to the SEC strengthens our unique position as the only Power Five conference with teams in the Mountain and Pacific time zones." How about the Big East being able to say they're the only conference with teams in the eastern, central, and pacific time zones. Imagine a Tuesday night slate of Providence-UConn at 6:30pm, Marquette-Xavier at 8:30pm, and Gonzaga-Villanova at 10:30pm. Who isn't saying yes to that?

Speaking of Bill Marsh does any one know what's become of him or if he is posting on another board now? It's got to be like three years now and he used to be one of the most prolific posters. Just curious
DanofXav76

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:23 pm

Great posts GW11 and FenwayFriar (long time no see).

I tend to agree with GW. It never hurts to have some contingency plans...merely takes up a bit of time.
The BEast should have a set of contingency plans, updated periodically - based around the major possibilities of continued realignment.
Near-term (nxt 1-2 years), Mid-term (3-6 years), long-range forecast.

Eval methodology for F5/P5 castoff schools (Form/Fit/Function). What constitutes a Fair/Good/Great fit?

1- Absorption of part of the PAC by B1G. Best case scenario-Worst case scenario.
2- Absorption of part of the ACC by the B1G/SEC/both. Best case scenario-Worst case scenario.
3- Dissolution of the ACC. Best case scenario-Worst case scenario.
4- Dissolution of the B1G-12 OR evaluating the leftovers from raids. Best case scenario-Worst case scenario.
5- Pros/Cons of a Western Division (true western division w BYU/Zags/St Marys).
6- Pros & Cons of readmittance of former BE schools (ND, S'Cuse, Pitt, WVA, Pitt, etc.)

Wildcards: Duke & ND from ACC. S'Cuse & ND from ACC.
Wildcards: Vandy from SEC.
Wildcards: Stanford from PAC-12.
Wildcards: Kansas & Baylor from Big-12.

Nearterm 2 division BE

West East
Xavier Nova
Marquette Connecticut
DePaul Prov
Cr8n StJohns
Kansas Seton Hall
Baylor Georgetown
?? Butler

By the Way... I' d p/u Kansas and Baylor NOW!
KU's not going to the B1G or the PAC-12, their football is Waay too weak for either conference and neither conference will be eager pay top dollar just for KU Hoops.
Both KU & Baylor can put their football in the same parking lot as UConn. just sayin'.
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:52 pm

FenwayFriar wrote:

What west coast pods? Are they gonna mix OOC games all throughout Big East play? And I don't see the benefit of the timezone thing. Gonzaga would be on an island by themselves, 1,400 miles from the closest Big East opponent. Is Gonzaga the only school brand that would immediately enhance the Big East brand? Absolutely, but they're too impractical. I think it's more likely than not that the Big East never adds Gonzaga.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Bogg » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:29 pm

The hills of Malibu cry out for Big East basketball. Blue IV yearns to stretch his little doggy legs in Golden Gate Park. Truly, ours is a 21st century Manifest Destiny entrusted by the basketball gods themselves.

West Coast Pod! West Coast Pod! West Coast Pod!
Bogg

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:25 pm

Big 12 sends ESPN cease and desist letter as commissioner says network wants to 'destabilize' conference - Paul Myerberg and Steve Berkowitz, USA Today – 1 hour ago
The Big 12 Conference has sent ESPN a letter demanding the network refrain from communicating with its current membership or with other Football Bowl Subdivision leagues regarding its member schools, in the latest turn in the expansion drama kicked off by Texas and Oklahoma's projected departure for the SEC. According to Yahoo Sports, which first reported the contents of the letter, Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby accused ESPN of having been "actively engaged in discussions with at least one other conference regarding that conference inducing additional members of the Big 12 Conference to leave the Big 12 Conference."

The network is "intentionally interfering with our business operations by encouraging other conferences to poach the members of the Big 12 and providing incentives to them to do so," Bowlsby told USA TODAY Sports.

Asked if the letter to ESPN is a precursor to legal action against the company, Bowlsby said: "In my estimation, it’s clearly a tortuous interference with business, and so the cease and desist letter is intended to have that effect."

Asked if the conference would take action against schools, Bowlsby said: " ... we're prepared to do what we need to protect our business rights.”

The Big 12 has proof that ESPN would like another league to "take three to five of our members," said Bowlsby.

"It's not so much about the taking of the members, what it does — and what it's intended to do — is destabilize the Big 12 so that it implodes, thus absolving OU and Texas of their grant of rights obligations and their exit fee obligations. If the Big 12 fails to exist as an entity, they can move quicker and they can do so for less money.”

In a statement to USA TODAY Sports, ESPN said "the claims have no merit." The network was not involved in Texas or Oklahoma contacting the SEC about possible inclusion, according to a person familiar with the rights deal. The person was granted anonymity because they are not authorized to speak publicly about the matter.

The league's forceful response to this month's expansion news comes days after the Longhorns and Sooners officially informed the Big 12 of their plans not to join the conference's next grants of media rights agreement, which would begin in 2025.

That statement was followed by an official request to join the SEC signed by the Oklahoma and Texas university presidents, which drew the SEC's first public acknowledgment of the mutual interest between the nation's strongest conference and two of college football's historic powers.
Fieldhouse Flyer

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board