Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby Cheech » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:56 pm

So I am a New Yorker , grew up a huge Big East Fan spent many nites in the Garden watching St John’s play the classic games with Cuse..GT . I have been t the last 5 Big East Tourneys and hopefully will be back this year. Probably been at more tourneys than most of you. But as I have said in very few posts I am only giving an opinion, I don’t attack anyone . I know as of today that discussions are going on with several schools including Gonzaga. Let’s see why happens , I strongly believe they will add as soon as next year.
Cheech

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bogg » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:39 pm

West Coast Pod! West Coast Pod! West Coast Pod!
Bogg

Postby Xudash » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:53 pm

Cheech wrote:So I am a New Yorker , grew up a huge Big East Fan spent many nites in the Garden watching St John’s play the classic games with Cuse..GT . I have been t the last 5 Big East Tourneys and hopefully will be back this year. Probably been at more tourneys than most of you. But as I have said in very few posts I am only giving an opinion, I don’t attack anyone . I know as of today that discussions are going on with several schools including Gonzaga. Let’s see why happens , I strongly believe they will add as soon as next year.

When you post false, misleading or inflammatory information about member institutions here that have the effect of painting them in a bad light, you most likely have an agenda. You weren't stating opinions when you stupidly blabbered on about the finances of three member BE schools. You were making statements that simply aren't true. You obviously don't know squat about Xavier.

If you are a St. John's fan, I don't know what to tell you, other than that you should worry about St. John's. That may occupy you enough to allow you to stop making a fool of yourself here. Otherwise, it's nice to know we have someone here who is privy to what otherwise are either very guarded, or most likely non-existent discussions at this point. Keep us posted.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby kayako » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:02 pm

Bogg wrote:West Coast Pod! West Coast Pod! West Coast Pod!

No, they'd bring too many unwanted schools. Gonzaga should instead ask the "B12" if they'd be willing to take them for Olympic sports.
supernova
kayako

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:43 pm

Cheech wrote:So I am a New Yorker , grew up a huge Big East Fan spent many nites in the Garden watching St John’s play the classic games with Cuse..GT . I have been t the last 5 Big East Tourneys and hopefully will be back this year. Probably been at more tourneys than most of you. But as I have said in very few posts I am only giving an opinion, I don’t attack anyone . I know as of today that discussions are going on with several schools including Gonzaga. Let’s see why happens , I strongly believe they will add as soon as next year.

Thanks for sharing. But you’re also a die hard Dayton fan posting on a Big East message board pretending to be a fan of a team in the league. Oh and just so happened to be posting mistruths about Xavier. Shocking. As you shared on the Dayton fans thread:

Cheech wrote:So the case for Dayton. First UD fits the original criteria when the Big East was reformed. We are a like school with strong catholic background, great tradition , rabid Fan base and a stellar reputation across the country for building and running the program long term the right way.….. and so on.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:05 pm

Cheech – a word of friendly advice from a fellow Flyers fan: please give it a rest. There’s no need to rile the Musketeers’ fans. Thank you very much.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On July 27, 2021 ArmyVet wrote:
Oklahoma and Texas announced that they have formally requested invitations to join the SEC.

Ohio State could well be the key to the immediate future. If the Buckeyes commit to joining the SEC, it becomes more likely that Michigan will also join the SEC, making the move more attractive to Clemson and Florida State.

If the Buckeyes decide to remain in the Big Ten, it is unlikely the Wolverines will leave, but I wouldn’t guess how that will affect Clemson and Florida State.

Link:
On July 23, 2021 Xudash wrote:
Holy shit Batman:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jackmaccfb/status/1418678701135384579?s=10
On July 23, 2021 Jack McGuire wrote:
SEC has been in serious contact with Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, and Florida State.

Not clear if this will materialize, but they have their eyes on a true 20 team MEGA conference.

Oklahoma and Texas just the start.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is the SEC Creating a Super Conference? - Brooks Austin, SI.com - July 24, 2021

SEC takeover: Expansion would just mean more power, wealth - Ralph D. Russo, AP/ The Washington Post – July 26, 2021

Latest conference realignment rumor states SEC in 'serious contact' with Michigan and Ohio State – Robert Bondy, USA Today – July 25, 2021

Ohio State needs Big Ten to outflank SEC by joining forces with ACC/Notre Dame – Rob Oller, The Columbus Dispatch – July 26, 2021
Why Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC is bad news for Ohio State and the Big Ten

But the recruiting trail gets rockier if Texas and Oklahoma bail on the Big 12. Five-star recruits from the talent-rich Lone Star state want to play against the best, and the SEC with the additions of those two programs would provide that chance more than Ohio State in the Big Ten.

It’s often a thin line for southern-based recruits between staying near home or heading to the Midwest. Being able to play in the SEC against Alabama, LSU, Georgia and Florida would elevate Texas and OU recruiting.

There also is the money issue. Adding UT and OU would put the SEC in line for new TV rights deals that, based on an increase in ratings, would at least match what the Big Ten manages. ESPN would be looking at adding another $130 million annually to what is already a $300 million exclusivity contract with the SEC.

Because ESPN also is looking to spend $500 million to secure the proposed 12-team playoff, how willing would the network be to throw crazy money at the Big Ten in future contract negotiations? That’s bad for Ohio State, because less money means having to dig deeper into shallower pockets to keep up with the SEC in everything from facilities to coaching salaries to recruiting to funding name, image, likeness education as NIL compensation evolves.

SEC May Not Be Finished With Expansion - Randy Smith, Chattanoogan.com - July 26, 2021
The rich will continue to get richer and that seems to be the main incentive for the SEC expansion. Each of the current 14 member schools received more than $52 million in 2020, while the Big 12 teams raked in less than $40 million each. In other words, it's all about money.

Also, consider this.....Alabama freshman quarterback Bryce Young has already made a million bucks from endorsements and he hasn't even played a game at 'Bama, much less been named the starter. Young became eligible to receive money from endorsements when the NCAA changed the ruling earlier this year and now all NCAA student athletes are allowed to negotiate their own deals. Once again, it's all about money.

If the SEC continues to expand and actually adds Michigan, Ohio State, Clemson, and Florida State, the only way the other leagues will be able to survive is to form a second Super Conference. It could include teams from the Big 12, Big Ten, and Pac 12. Of course, this is all speculation and isn't likely to actually happen. But last week, I wrote that I didn't see Texas and Oklahoma really becoming the newest members of the SEC and the same day, it became a reality.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS IN NCAA DIVISION I FBS – Wikipedia

Link:
On February 20, 2021 Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
TABLE 4: Niche's 2021 Best Colleges in America - SCHOOL RANKINGS

Niche Rank • Niche Grade • School • Conference • Niche Net Price

11 • A+ • Vanderbilt Commodores • Southeastern • $25,855
23 • A+ • MICHIGAN WOLVERINES • BIG TEN • $17,357
56 • A+ • Florida Gators • Southeastern • $10,457
57 • A+ • TEXAS LONGHORNS • BIG 12 • $15,502
59 • A+ • Georgia Bulldogs • Southeastern • $15,961
80 • A+ • Texas A&M Aggies • Southeastern • $19,237
92 • A+ • OHIO STATE BUCKEYES • BIG TEN • $18,706
94 • A • FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES • ACC • $12,568
99 • A • CLEMSON TIGERS • ACC • $21,482
134 • A • Auburn Tigers • Southeastern • $23,562

153 • Southeastern Conference - Average Niche Ranking for Present 14 Schools

156 • A • OKLAHOMA SOONERS • BIG 12 • $21,804
161 • A • South Carolina Gamecocks • Southeastern • $21,787
164 • A • Alabama Crimson Tide • Southeastern • $20,623
167 • A- • Mississippi State Bulldogs • Southeastern • $16,471
175 • A- • Missouri Tigers • Southeastern • $15,850
182 • A- • Arkansas Razorbacks • Southeastern • $16,263
201 • A- • Ole Miss Rebels • Southeastern • $14,672
223 • A- • Tennessee Volunteers • Southeastern • $21,024
241 • A- • LSU Tigers • Southeastern • $18,143
283 • B+ • Kentucky Wildcats • Southeastern • $18,958
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Xudash » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:14 pm

Omaha1 wrote:

Thanks for sharing. But you’re also a die hard Dayton fan posting on a Big East message board pretending to be a fan of a team in the league. Oh and just so happened to be posting mistruths about Xavier. Shocking. As you shared on the Dayton fans thread:

Cheech wrote:So the case for Dayton. First UD fits the original criteria when the Big East was reformed. We are a like school with strong catholic background, great tradition , rabid Fan base and a stellar reputation across the country for building and running the program long term the right way.….. and so on.

This is fun, but as about as challenging as shooting fish in a barrel. Runs the program the right way? Sure.

“DAYTON, Ohio (AP) _ The NCAA today put Dayton’s basketball program on probation, cut back its scholarships and reduced recruiting visits after a university trustee gave loans to the father of a freshman recruit.”

The recruit was a guy named Brooks Hall, who also helped VD consistently lose to Xavier.

Little Brother was a mess back then and remains a wannabe now.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:58 pm

Xudash wrote:
“DAYTON, Ohio (AP) _ The NCAA today put Dayton’s basketball program on probation, cut back its scholarships and reduced recruiting visits after a university trustee gave loans to the father of a freshman recruit.” The recruit was a guy named Brooks Hall...

Brooks Hall's Career Stats 1999-2003 – Sports Reference.com

Xudash – The recruiting violation you referred to occurred in 1999, and you have been moaning about it for 22 years now. Worse things have happened in college basketball. Events have moved on since then, and you should too. Some fresh material from you (preferably verifiable) wouldn’t go amiss.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby GampelCrazies » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:11 pm

I mean the Big East has to be talking to teams right? They don't have to add but you would have to think they make/take calls from schools with everything going on.
GampelCrazies

Postby Xudash » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:43 pm

GampelCrazies wrote:I mean the Big East has to be talking to teams right? They don't have to add but you would have to think they make/take calls from schools with everything going on.

My guess: BE schools will have reason to talk if and when Fox wants to chat about it. What is “it”? At this point, possible scenarios for additions versus maintaining the round robin with 11.

Possible additions: IMHO, no mid-majors at this time. No need. So, that means waiting to see what shakes out, most likely between the Big12 and AAC.

Only my guess, but maybe the Presidents are talking about it in their conference calls/meetings, or having their AD’s do that at this time, in order to be prepared.

There is no need to tell programs below us to standby, they’re already doing that. And we couldn’t possibly know which of the football schools might be available yet, if ever. Besides, they are focused on their football programs, trying to survive the current reshuffling firestorm.
XAVIER
Xudash

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board