Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby Cheech » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:27 am

Xavier took a huge hit financially. Many schools did. Xavier is struggling and working hard to get back the lost income. And yes the Big East has approached the Networks , stay tuned we will hear something within the next t 60 days. Do we add? I know for a fact it’s being discussed.
Cheech

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:31 am

Link:
On February 20, 2021 Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
TABLE 4: Niche's 2021 Best Colleges in America - SCHOOL RANKINGS

Niche Rank • Niche Grade • School • Conference • Niche Net Price

57 • A+ • Texas Longhorns • Big 12 • $15,502 ==> to SEC
110 • A • TCU Horned Frogs • Big 12 • $37,509
137 • A • Baylor Bears • Big 12 • $28,372
148 • A • Iowa State Cyclones • Big 12 • $15,195
156 • A • Oklahoma Sooners • Big 12 • $21,804 ==> to SEC
160 • A • Oklahoma State Cowboys • Big 12 • $15,325
165 • A • Kansas State Wildcats • Big 12 • $18,103
179 • A- • Texas Tech Red Raiders • Big 12 • $16,463
193 • A- • Kansas Jayhawks • Big 12 • $19,195
276 • A- • West Virginia Mountaineers • Big 12 • $12,743
158 • Big 12 Conference - Average Niche Ranking for present 10 Schools

66 • A+ • Tulane Green Wave • American Athletic • $40,783
86 • A+ • SMU Mustangs • American Athletic • $40,404
118 • A • South Florida Bulls • American Athletic • $9,787
124 • A • Tulsa Golden Hurricane • American Athletic • $23,940
149 • A • UCF Knights • American Athletic • $11,617
171 • A- • Cincinnati Bearcats • American Athletic • $19,219
200 • A- • Temple Owls • American Athletic • $23,032
212 • A- • Houston Cougars • American Athletic • $13,212
523 • B • Memphis Tigers • American Athletic • $13,481
529 • B • East Carolina Pirates • American Athletic • $13,635
835 • B- • Wichita State Shockers • American Athletic • $13,849
274 • American Athletic Conference - Average Niche Ranking for present 11 Schools
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let the speculation roll!

Predicting where the rest of the Big 12 will go after Texas, Oklahoma go to the SEC - Kevin Borba, et al., Yahoo!/Longhorns Wire - July 26, 2021
Now that Texas and Oklahoma are leaving, there is a firm belief by experts everywhere that this is it for the Big 12.

The situation has left the other eight schools in a dilemma. Do they wait to see if the Big 12 can wrangle up four more teams, or do they be proactive in an attempt to join another conference? I personally think they should just begin their searches for a new conference before they’re left behind.

With that being said, I’ll take my best shot at predicting where each of the remaining teams in the Big 12 could end up.

Kansas: AAC

West Virginia: ACC

Kansas State: AAC

Baylor: AAC

Texas Tech: AAC

TCU: Pac-12

Oklahoma State: AAC

Iowa State: Big Ten
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:39 am

Cheech wrote:Xavier took a huge hit financially. Many schools did. Xavier is struggling and working hard to get back the lost income. And yes the Big East has approached the Networks , stay tuned we will hear something within the next t 60 days. Do we add? I know for a fact it’s being discussed.

Any school that relies heavily on ticket sales for revenue as many of our schools do, had a pretty rough year financially.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Django » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:57 am

The only change will be on the AACK helmets. They were afraid of being G5 so now they can be G6. All they have to do is change the P to a G. It will save some change that they don’t have to airbrush out the 6. They can also sell the logo to the B12 eight... or even easier for the new Jayhawks conference, they can just reuse the old Big 8 logo. I’m looking forward to the B12 adding Florida teams do their b-ball NET goes in the tank.
Django

Postby ArmyVet » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:09 am

Oklahoma and Texas announced that they have formally requested invitations to join the SEC.
ArmyVet

Postby Xudash » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:28 am

Cheech wrote:Xavier took a huge hit financially. Many schools did. Xavier is struggling and working hard to get back the lost income. And yes the Big East has approached the Networks , stay tuned we will hear something within the next t 60 days. Do we add? I know for a fact it’s being discussed.

Struggling?

You have to be a VD fan.

This is an example of how Xavier's athletic department is "struggling": https://www.msaarch.com/projects/xavier-university-heidt-center

Every D1 school took a hit financially due to COVID. Some, like mid-majors with backwater television coverage involving little money, took massive hits, because they certainly were in no position to generate ticket revenue.

You know for a fact it's being discussed? Sure you do.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby ArmyVet » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:49 am

Xudash wrote:

Struggling?

You have to be a VD fan.

This is an example of how Xavier's athletic department is "struggling": https://www.msaarch.com/projects/xavier-university-heidt-center

Every D1 school took a hit financially due to COVID. Some, like mid-majors with backwater television coverage involving little money, took massive hits, because they certainly were in no position to generate ticket revenue.

You know for a fact it's being discussed? Sure you do.

Hah yep Dayton fan. I looked at his old posts and he states that, but then in this thread he refers to the Big East as "we". Oops.

Back to conference realignment chatter.
ArmyVet

Postby kayako » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:59 am

Cheech wrote:Most schools took a blood bath financially last year and if you don’t make money on football it gets even tougher.

Just curious how many schools actually make money on football?
supernova
kayako

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:10 pm

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Xudash » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:16 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Here ya go, Kayako...

https://www.bestcolleges.com/blog/do-co ... ake-money/

Very interesting and informative article. Thanks for sharing git.

The point about local economic impact is very interesting - the impact on local businesses that cater and are adjacent to major sports facilities. I found this of particular interest: When the Tigers host a game at Clemson in South Carolina, roughly 150,000 fans populate the downtown area, eating and drinking at restaurants, staying in hotels, and buying souvenirs and other memorabilia. The economic impact per game exceeds $2 million. In Madison, Wisconsin, that figure is closer to $16 million per game when the Badgers play, with the football season accounting for 70% of annual revenue for some local businesses.

You tell me: filet mignon burgers topped with foie gras in Madison versus hot dogs and cheap BBQ in Clemson? 2 versus 16? How!
XAVIER
Xudash

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board