The Case for Dayton

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The Case for Dayton

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:16 pm

DeltaV wrote:
GibsoniaPA wrote:Congrats to UD for a nice run. Few universities have such a love affair with college hoops.

Yeah; I had read here how crazy UD fans were, but didn't realize it until watching them play this year.

I think this little run does do one thing: if the Big East expands in the next few years, and doesn't take them (assuming SLU or VCU don't make some big runs, and UD doesn't completely shit the bed next year), they will be trashed in the common media for not taking them. There isn't really going to be a big discussion about expansion if it doesn't happen, unless the stronger basketball schools in the A10 broke away from their bottom feeders and had a pseudo competitor to the Big East (although a conference with a core of SLU, UD, StJoes, LaSalle, VCU, UMASS, and adding WSU would be interesting to say the least, but this is just a slightly alcohol-soaked brain thinking out loud).

I think if expansion happens, UD has a damn good standing to be in. However, I think expansion after just one year reeks of desperation. Give it another year or two, see how Georgetown and Marquette come back, if Creighton can stay good, and what else happens.

Was the Big Ten desperate when they expanded one year after adding Nebraska?

Come on. In these days of conference realignment, it's a constantly changing landscape.
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEX » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:32 pm

Guess we're supposed to invite everybody every year who has a decent/good year? lol. Stay @ 10.
BEX

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:44 pm

BEX wrote:Guess we're supposed to invite everybody every year who has a decent/good year? lol. Stay @ 10.

I'd like to stay at 10, but I don't think that's where the world of college sports is these days. :x
Bill Marsh

Postby marquette » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:09 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
BEX wrote:Guess we're supposed to invite everybody every year who has a decent/good year? lol. Stay @ 10.

I'd like to stay at 10, but I don't think that's where the world of college sports is these days. :x

Times, they are a-changin'. When I was your age my mom would send me down to the corner store with a dollar. I'd come back with a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk, a dozen eggs, a hunk of cheese, butter, and money left over. You can't do that anymore. Too many security cameras.

Sorry, love that joke. In truth I agree. Conferences are growing, and we need to stay competitive. That will probably mean losing some of the things that made conferences great to start with. Round robin will likely be a casualty.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby augkash » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:13 pm

I found it funny how some posters on here said dayton would have to make a deep run to get a invite. Now they say oh just BC they made a deep run don't they shouldnt get a invite.. fact is Dayton won the media over and they have a very young team that will be good for the next 3 years. If the big east does add 2 teams its the perfect time to add Dayton
augkash

Postby DudeAnon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:24 pm

Honestly, no team needed a run like this more than Dayton. Apart from possibly location, the only factor they were missing was recent NCAA success.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby stever20 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:19 am

DudeAnon wrote:Honestly, no team needed a run like this more than Dayton. Apart from possibly location, the only factor they were missing was recent NCAA success.

You could make the argument that Richmond needs a run like this more than Dayton. Get out of the VCU shadow to a large degree.
stever20

Postby Hoopfan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:23 am

DudeAnon wrote:Honestly, no team needed a run like this more than Dayton. Apart from possibly location, the only factor they were missing was recent NCAA success.

If I was running BE id wait another year for expansion. Is dayton on the rise? Is SLU going to decline losing their seniors? MU and GT back to their former selves? VCU make another big run? Lot can happen in a year
Hoopfan

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:53 am

marquette wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

Times, they are a-changin'. When I was your age my mom would send me down to the corner store with a dollar. I'd come back with a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk, a dozen eggs, a hunk of cheese, butter, and money left over. You can't do that anymore. Too many security cameras.

Sorry, love that joke.

:lol:
Bill Marsh

Postby HoosierPal » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:53 pm

augkash wrote:I found it funny how some posters on here said dayton would have to make a deep run to get a invite. Now they say oh just BC they made a deep run don't they shouldnt get a invite.. fact is Dayton won the media over and they have a very young team that will be good for the next 3 years. If the big east does add 2 teams its the perfect time to add Dayton

The crowd they had in Memphis was pretty awesome.
HoosierPal

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board