(4) Big East game on Tuesday 2/14

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (4) Big East game on Tuesday 2/14

Postby stever20 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:03 pm

Nova with 5 tough games to go but in a position where if they could go even just 4-1 they could go into the BET without needing to win it to make the tourney. It's not likely but as they say- so you say there's a chance....
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:19 pm

Great game and atmosphere, high drama. Raftery was at his best.

Couple of minor things from a Friars perspective...

No complaints from me, just couple of questions...

- Kalkbrenner was winning jumpballs too early. I think the ball has to go above their heads at least.

- [EDIT: As Stever correctly pointed out, the shot clock *did* reset when Bynum's shot hit the rim with around 30 seconds left] ... End of first overtime, PC ball... Bynum's shot hit the rim with like 19 seconds left... scramble for ball, PC threw up an air ball, scramble for ball again, shot clock was at like 7, rathsr than resetting to 20... ? Shouldve been our ball for the last shot, right?

Fun game to watch all around, old skool Big East. The 11 of us are spoiled with great basketball.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:22 pm

billyjack wrote:Great game and atmosphere, high drama. Raftery was at his best.

- Kalkbrenner was winning jumpballs too early. I think the ball has to go above their heads at least.

- End of first overtime, PC ball... Bynum's shot hit the rim with like 19 seconds left... scramble for ball, PC threw up an air ball, scramble for ball again, shot clock was at like 7, rathsr than resetting to 20... ? Shouldve been our ball for the last shot, right?

Fun game to watch all around, old skool Big East. The 11 of us are spoiled with great basketball.

the scramble for the ball again doesn't reset the shot clock unless there's a change of possession. Therefore when Providence got the ball back it correctly didn't reset.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:23 pm

stever20 wrote:

- End of first overtime, PC ball... Bynum's shot hit the rim with like 19 seconds left... scramble for ball, PC threw up an air ball, scramble for ball again, shot clock was at like 7, rathsr than resetting to 20... ? Shouldve been our ball for the last shot, right?

the scramble for the ball again doesn't reset the shot clock unless there's a change of possession. Therefore when Providence got the ball back it correctly didn't reset.

Right, but Bynum's shot hit the rim, which shouldve reset the shot clock to 20 secs, right?
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:26 pm

billyjack wrote:
stever20 wrote:

Right, but Bynum's shot hit the rim, which shouldve reset the shot clock to 20 secs, right?

I think it did reset to 20. But had the air ball and then the scramble for ball again. On the play by play from ESPN, the Bynum shot was at 31 seconds to go.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:42 pm

Youre right, the clock did reset to 20 after Bynum's shot hit the rim.
Providence
billyjack

Postby MUPanther » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:45 am

Omaha1 wrote:MUPanther - I was worried this morning when I didn’t see this posted. It’s one of the first things that I look for each morning and jumped the gun when I didn’t see it already posted. Keep it up!

I'll admit I was late. Had work things to do. :D
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:47 am

stever20 wrote:Is it me or has Gus way cut back the number of games he's calling this winter? It seems really noticable.

Seems like he works a Big Ten game on a Thursday and does Saturday Night Hoops on FOX. I was surprised he didn't work last Saturday.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby Jasper67 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:11 am

That Creighton-Providence game may be the best college basketball game I have ever seen!!! :o And I’ve been watching college basketball for 60 years.

Except for Creighton’s 6 point lead with 15 minutes to go in the first half, neither team led by more than 4 points until the Friars pulled away at the end of the 2nd OT. It was like a championship prize fight, with each team matching the other’s shots. The level of intensity was incredibly high throughout the game and the 2 OTs. Players diving to the floor, scrambling for every loose ball, giving as good as they got, blow by blow. My God! Can 2 teams play any better than that? To give those players on the floor even more credit, they maintained this level of play for 50 minutes despite the fact that the 2 coaches made very little use of their benches. I thought that these kids were going to need oxygen at the end of the game. I can’t wait to see a rematch in the BE tournament.

Statistically both teams shot 45% or better. Both teams shot 85% or better from the line. Providence shot over 40% on 3’s. And there was their statistical advantage. Creighton was under 30% on 3’s for the game. Scheierman came out and made a couple of early 3’s but then he went cold. He was off his game on 3’s for the rest of the contest. This guy is an excellent 3 point shooter and if he hits 3’s at his normal rate, Creighton probably wins the game. But that’s the kind of game it was. There was no margin for error. One guy was a little bit off his game and that was the difference.

Hats off to Devin Carter who played simply out of his mind. Made every big shot when they needed them, scratching and clawing to find a way to score when the Creighton defense was leaving no openings. On the floor to fight for loose balls. Made a key block late. Wow! What an impressive kid.

Wow! This game just blew my mind. Providence won, but both teams deserve to be praised for playing at such an incredibly high level, for giving it all they had, for leaving everything on the court. Big East basketball at its absolute best!!! 8-)
Jasper67

Postby stever20 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:54 am

Jasper67 wrote:That Creighton-Providence game may be the best college basketball game I have ever seen!!! :o And I’ve been watching college basketball for 60 years.

Except for Creighton’s 6 point lead with 15 minutes to go in the first half, neither team led by more than 4 points until the Friars pulled away at the end of the 2nd OT. It was like a championship prize fight, with each team matching the other’s shots. The level of intensity was incredibly high throughout the game and the 2 OTs. Players diving to the floor, scrambling for every loose ball, giving as good as they got, blow by blow. My God! Can 2 teams play any better than that? To give those players on the floor even more credit, they maintained this level of play for 50 minutes despite the fact that the 2 coaches made very little use of their benches. I thought that these kids were going to need oxygen at the end of the game. I can’t wait to see a rematch in the BE tournament.

Statistically both teams shot 45% or better. Both teams shot 85% or better from the line. Providence shot over 40% on 3’s. And there was their statistical advantage. Creighton was under 30% on 3’s for the game. Scheierman came out and made a couple of early 3’s but then he went cold. He was off his game on 3’s for the rest of the contest. This guy is an excellent 3 point shooter and if he hits 3’s at his normal rate, Creighton probably wins the game. But that’s the kind of game it was. There was no margin for error. One guy was a little bit off his game and that was the difference.

Hats off to Devin Carter who played simply out of his mind. Made every big shot when they needed them, scratching and clawing to find a way to score when the Creighton defense was leaving no openings. On the floor to fight for loose balls. Made a key block late. Wow! What an impressive kid.

Wow! This game just blew my mind. Providence won, but both teams deserve to be praised for playing at such an incredibly high level, for giving it all they had, for leaving everything on the court. Big East basketball at its absolute best!!! 8-)

feel for both teams it's a good thing they have an extra day off before next game, especially Creighton with how tired they looked that 2nd OT. And both with somewhat tricky games- Creighton @ St John's(not a team you want to play tired IMO) and Providence hosting Nova.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board