(4 games) Busy Wednesday in the Big East 2/1/23

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (4 games) Busy Wednesday in the Big East 2/1/23

Postby DanofXav76 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:42 am

Jasper67 wrote:
X Factor wrote:
Jasper67 wrote:Insanely good games. Xavier got very lucky. They needed this game badly and easily could have lost it.

How did Xavier get very lucky?

Bynum banked in a 24 footer to send it to overtime. Xavier was 13-23 from the FT line. They were playing without Freemantle. And Xavier got lucky?

Easy, bug guy. I don’t mean “lucky” in the sense that you’re taking it. I’m not disparaging them. They earned that win and deserved it. Maybe “fortunate” would be a better word? My point is that with Freemantle out, they badly need a win like that. It was a game that could have gone either way, and coming away with the win was exactly what they need right now to keep hope alive. With Freemantle in the lineup, that’s a game they figured to win, but without him their prospects were in jeopardy. Congratulations on a well deserved and timely win.

PS - I meant lucky in the sense that you say to your buddy with a deep sigh after a game like that, “Whew! That was a close one. We’re lucky to have come away with the win there because a loss would have been a killer. I’m sure glad it didn’t go the other way.”

I was at the game last night. I do agree with all of the points my friend X-factor pointed out. Maybe "lucky" in the sense that Bynum's last 3 was 1/2 way down but didn't go in?
After the Bengals fiasco Sunday night, I needed one to go our way. Just saying.
DanofXav76

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jasper67 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:10 pm

DanofXav76 wrote:
Jasper67 wrote:
X Factor wrote:
How did Xavier get very lucky?

Bynum banked in a 24 footer to send it to overtime. Xavier was 13-23 from the FT line. They were playing without Freemantle. And Xavier got lucky?

Easy, bug guy. I don’t mean “lucky” in the sense that you’re taking it. I’m not disparaging them. They earned that win and deserved it. Maybe “fortunate” would be a better word? My point is that with Freemantle out, they badly need a win like that. It was a game that could have gone either way, and coming away with the win was exactly what they need right now to keep hope alive. With Freemantle in the lineup, that’s a game they figured to win, but without him their prospects were in jeopardy. Congratulations on a well deserved and timely win.

PS - I meant lucky in the sense that you say to your buddy with a deep sigh after a game like that, “Whew! That was a close one. We’re lucky to have come away with the win there because a loss would have been a killer. I’m sure glad it didn’t go the other way.”

I was at the game last night. I do agree with all of the points my friend X-factor pointed out. Maybe "lucky" in the sense that Bynum's last 3 was 1/2 way down but didn't go in?
After the Bengals fiasco Sunday night, I needed one to go our way. Just saying.

Let me repeat. I didn’t mean that they got lucky in the sense that they didn’t deserve the win. I simply meant that it was good fortune to come up with a win in that spot. If anyone got lucky in the sense that you’re using the word, it was Providence when they banked a 3 off the backboard late when the shooter was not intending to use the backboard. That was a stroke of luck!

But that kind of luck was not what I was talking about. I’ll be more careful in my choice of words in the future.
Jasper67

Postby billyjack » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:15 pm

Not sure it's been mentioned, but Curbelo was tossed in mid-2nd half, and Seton Hall pulled away almost immediately.

St John's had scored, and Corbelo and a Hall player bumped into each other, and Brian O'Connell (the chaos agent) T'ed both guys up. Curbelo then took off his sunglasses and slammed them on the floor, which was funny but got him a second T.
Providence
billyjack

Postby billyjack » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:20 pm

XU vs PC... i got a bad sleep Tuesday night, and was exhausted. I fell asleep with 19:30 to play in the 2nd half... i woke up with 30 seconds remaining in OT, lol, right when Carter stole the ball for a layup to cut it to 84-83.

My 17 year old told me i missed a great game, lol.
Providence
billyjack

Postby billyjack » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:26 pm

And with Curbelo-- there's potential for his game to be positive, if timed correctly, but he has to be reeled in. He just becomes easily distracted and screws up the mojo.

I'd like to think that Cooley would be able to use him better by not putting up with his sh-t. Anderson is more chill in general, which i think doesn't work with Curbelo (and Soriano too).
Providence
billyjack

Postby Omaha1 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:12 pm

billyjack wrote:And with Curbelo-- there's potential for his game to be positive, if timed correctly, but he has to be reeled in. He just becomes easily distracted and screws up the mojo.

I'd like to think that Cooley would be able to use him better by not putting up with his sh-t. Anderson is more chill in general, which i think doesn't work with Curbelo (and Soriano too).

Pretty sure if you gave the Hoyas or Johnnies roster to Cooley, Mac, Miller, Matta or a couple others that their respective records would improve a decent amount.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:14 pm

billyjack wrote:And with Curbelo-- there's potential for his game to be positive, if timed correctly, but he has to be reeled in. He just becomes easily distracted and screws up the mojo.

Brad Underwood had him for 2 years and couldn't do anything with him. Curbelo just does Curbelo things. I don't think Ed would take him, tbh.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby ArmyVet » Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:12 pm

billyjack wrote:XU vs PC... i got a bad sleep Tuesday night, and was exhausted. I fell asleep with 19:30 to play in the 2nd half... i woke up with 30 seconds remaining in OT, lol, right when Carter stole the ball for a layup to cut it to 84-83.

My 17 year old told me i missed a great game, lol.

And I I thought I knew ya, billyjack. Some fan you are :lol:
ArmyVet

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:24 pm

I would say in a close game, going 13-23 and winning is typically pretty lucky. That's not even 60%. Not going to win a lot of close games shooting like that. One could call it lucky.

(of course some would say that Providence last few years has been the king of luck, so for them to get a taste of their own medicene for once was good).
stever20

Postby DanofXav76 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:55 pm

stever20 wrote:I would say in a close game, going 13-23 and winning is typically pretty lucky. That's not even 60%. Not going to win a lot of close games shooting like that. One could call it lucky.

(of course some would say that Providence last few years has been the king of luck, so for them to get a taste of their own medicene for once was good).

Amen Brother Stever! Last year's X game at Providence. Triple OT Thriller. The Dunk's roof springs a leak during a monster Xavier second half run. Hmmm...
DanofXav76

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board