(3) Wednesday Big East Games 1/4/23

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (3) Wednesday Big East Games 1/4/23

Postby Jasper67 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:35 pm

admin wrote:Wow. I did not see this coming from Providence this season after having to replace basically the entire roster. Incredible start in league play for the Friars.

Cooley recruited transfers really well. So they essentially have another veteran team back.
Jasper67

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jasper67 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:42 pm

XUFan09 wrote:
Jasper67 wrote:PC has made 23 of 29 FTs. Their ability to get to the line and then make their free throws is the story of the game. They have taken it right to the Huskies & it has paid off.

Hurley is once again out of control, cursing out everyone in sight. He should be T’d up by the end of the game. What an embarrassment to the league and to his school.

Locke just hit a dagger. UConn is toast.

This is the second game in a row where UConn was down a bit later in the game, and they just started flailing, basically. Long term, I think they can improve from this, but half a season worth of blowouts doesn't seem to have made them ready to handle tight games.

Hurley seems to lose it as the game goes on. He gets so angry and out of control that strategy goes out the window. He needs professional help.
Jasper67

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:53 am

The conference hasn't seen a coach like Hurley since Mike Rice...or maybe Bobby Gonzales. Either way not a side-line demeaner UConn administration and fans should be proud of. He needs to grow up IMO. All fiery, all the time will not lead to long term success.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby EMT » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:17 am

Jasper67 wrote:
admin wrote:Wow. I did not see this coming from Providence this season after having to replace basically the entire roster. Incredible start in league play for the Friars.

Cooley recruited transfers really well. So they essentially have another veteran team back.

Friars best two transfers (Hopkins and Carter) are sophomores.
EMT

Postby billyjack » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:10 am

I think Hurley is great for the league, but i think he has to time his outbursts better.

It seems to end up as a distraction that his players have to overcome, rather than a motivator. But he's had a ton of success, so what do i know.

When he was at URI my family met him at a local pizza place and he was a really great guy. Reminded me a lot of my brother.
Providence
billyjack

Postby BEhomer » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:55 am

I know it's a style they prefer to play but Uconn seems to play too fast and out of control. it's probably why they foul a lot. PC matched their intensity and pace while showing more control.
BEhomer

Postby EMT » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:25 am

billyjack wrote:I think Hurley is great for the league, but i think he has to time his outbursts better.

It seems to end up as a distraction that his players have to overcome, rather than a motivator. But he's had a ton of success, so what do i know.

When he was at URI my family met him at a local pizza place and he was a really great guy. Reminded me a lot of my brother.

Define "ton of success" for us. I think he's set up UConn for success with great recruiting but I wouldn't say he's had a ton of success yet.
EMT

Postby billyjack » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:08 pm

EMT wrote:
billyjack wrote:I think Hurley is great for the league, but i think he has to time his outbursts better.

Define "ton of success" for us. I think he's set up UConn for success with great recruiting but I wouldn't say he's had a ton of success yet.

Rebuilt the Rhody dumpster fire and won NCAA games in consecutive years (Creighton, Oklahoma... plus had Rhody in a position to beat Oregon). Gotta respect that... of course he was close to being canned before running the A-10 tourney that first year.

Turned around the UConn program pretty quickly... got them into top 5, prob shouldve been #1 last week instead of mediocre Purdue.

This year his 2 losses have been tough tough games in tough environments.

In fairness last year, the loss to New Mexico State sucked, but that guy on the Aggies couldn't miss.

I think if you gave Hurley, say, DePaul, that they'd be a perennial NCAA team in 3 years.
Providence
billyjack

Postby XUFan09 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:16 pm

billyjack wrote:
EMT wrote:

Rebuilt the Rhody dumpster fire and won NCAA games in consecutive years (Creighton, Oklahoma... plus had Rhody in a position to beat Oregon). Gotta respect that... of course he was close to being canned before running the A-10 tourney that first year.

Turned around the UConn program pretty quickly... got them into top 5, prob shouldve been #1 last week instead of mediocre Purdue.

This year his 2 losses have been tough tough games in tough environments.

In fairness last year, the loss to New Mexico State sucked, but that guy on the Aggies couldn't miss.

I think if you gave Hurley, say, DePaul, that they'd be a perennial NCAA team in 3 years.

Weren't both the Hurley brothers candidates for the DePaul job, but the administration made a condition that they would have to keep Billy Garrett, Sr., on staff (in order to keep Billy Garrett, Jr., on the team)?
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby Jasper67 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:51 pm

EMT wrote:
Jasper67 wrote:

Friars best two transfers (Hopkins and Carter) are sophomores.

Okay. And Moore is a 6th year senior who started his last 2 years at LaSalle. Locke is a 5th year senior who was a 4 year starter at Louisville and Florida. Carter may be just a sophomore, but he was 6th man who played 19 minutes per game and started 7 games last year at South Carolina. That’s no longer a rookie but a veteran who’s ready to step into the starting lineup. Put those 3 together with Bynum and Croswell, and that’s a lot of experience in 5 of the 6 top spots in your rotation. Hopkins was a top 50 recruit coming out of high school, so yes, he’s relatively inexperienced but he gives you a top talent to add to 5 more experienced veterans.

My point was that he was rebuilding with transfers who already had experience at the college level, not with high school recruits. If those same 5 guys were already in a school’s program and a coach was bringing them back for the next year, anyone would be saying that they had an experienced group coming back. At least that’s the way I see it.
Jasper67

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board