(5) Saturday Big East Games 12/17/22

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (5) Saturday Big East Games 12/17/22

Postby adoraz » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:04 am

The main reason it's slow this year is because the league is down some. Threads on here almost always tend to do better when we have good days vs other conferences rather than bad days. Only a few teams did enough OOC to warrant excitement, and that doesn't include the two teams everyone expected.

A couple others things contributing:
1. Expansion candidates have been awful (outside of Gonzaga), so fans from other teams aren't as excited to post here to promote their team.
2. The one team vastly overachieving is UConn, whose AD/football coach/etc. are actively campaigning to go to a football conference. I understand there's a lot more money in P5 football conferences, but I can't really get excited when they openly have one foot out the door. Frankly it's embarrassing not only for the Big East but also for UConn. I do give the team a lot of credit for helping the Big East this year as it was badly needed, but I also wouldn't mind if they lose a bunch of conference games.

It also doesn't help when 3 of our top 4 biggest schools aren't contributing. St. John's for instance feels like it could be a lame duck year despite our 12-1 record.

All that said, we should still get 4+ teams in this year. 3 at the worst which almost has happened several times already. We are nowhere near the 2019-20 season where the entire league (outside of Providence) was in position to make the Tournament this time of the year, but we also are definitely not in a terrible position either. Just a position that's boring and thus not too fun discussing.
Johnnies
adoraz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MUBoxer » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:58 am

adoraz wrote:The main reason it's slow this year is because the league is down some. Threads on here almost always tend to do better when we have good days vs other conferences rather than bad days. Only a few teams did enough OOC to warrant excitement, and that doesn't include the two teams everyone expected.

1. Expansion candidates have been awful (outside of Gonzaga), so fans from other teams aren't as excited to post here to promote their team.
2. The one team vastly overachieving is UConn, whose AD/football coach/etc. are actively campaigning to go to a football conference. I understand there's a lot more money in P5 football conferences, but I can't really get excited when they openly have one foot out the door. Frankly it's embarrassing not only for the Big East but also for UConn. I do give the team a lot of credit for helping the Big East this year as it was badly needed, but I also wouldn't mind if they lose a bunch of conference games.

It also doesn't help when 3 of our top 4 biggest schools aren't contributing. St. John's for instance feels like it could be a lame duck year despite our 12-1 record.

All that said, we should still get 4+ teams in this year. 3 at the worst which almost has happened several times already. We are nowhere near the 2019-20 season where the entire league (outside of Providence) was in position to make the Tournament this time of the year, but we also are definitely not in a terrible position either. Just a position that's boring and thus not too fun discussing.

What has he said that indicates he's trying to leave?
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby adoraz » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:35 am

MUBoxer wrote:
adoraz wrote:The main reason it's slow this year is because the league is down some. Threads on here almost always tend to do better when we have good days vs other conferences rather than bad days. Only a few teams did enough OOC to warrant excitement, and that doesn't include the two teams everyone expected.

CMA? Nothing. Just a large portion of the fan base is very skeptical of our start, as they should be given our NET is in the 70s and we currently have 0 Q1/Q2 wins. Of course we have a decent chance of making the Tournament if we finish above.500 in the Big East, but thus far CMA is 0/3 in even making the NIT. I'd be surprised if he's still around next year.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby billyjack » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:48 am

I don't think we have to worry about UConn leaving us.

As far as i can gather next door here in RI, small sample size, but fans of UConn are thrilled to be in the Big East, and overwhelmingly support their hoops over their idiot football team.

Jim Mora Jr has no pull or presence around here. I had to use Google to remind myself who their coach was. And he has the personailty of butter on melba toast, so he's not going to rally anyone to his cause.

They made a bowl at 6-6 by beating:
- Central Connecticut FCS
- Fresno.
- FIU.
- Boston College, who sucks.
- UMass.
- Liberty.
... they then made the Myrtle Beach Bowl, losing to Marshall by 14.

- They lost 59-0 against Michigan's 3rd string... Syracuse by 34... NC State by 31... their 6th win was by 3 over Liberty at home.

The ACC is not going to call them, and besides, hoops fans would lose their sh-t cuz they already patiently watched for 9 years as the football team dragged down basketball with trips to Tulsa and East Carolina.
Providence
billyjack

Postby MUBoxer » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:42 am

adoraz wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:

CMA? Nothing. Just a large portion of the fan base is very skeptical of our start, as they should be given our NET is in the 70s and we currently have 0 Q1/Q2 wins. Of course we have a decent chance of making the Tournament if we finish above.500 in the Big East, but thus far CMA is 0/3 in even making the NIT. I'd be surprised if he's still around next year.

No the UConn ad you said was out campaigning to leave?
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby FenwayFriar » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:07 am

MUBoxer wrote:
adoraz wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:

No the UConn ad you said was out campaigning to leave?

Two recent things the AD David Benedict did on twitter. They're definitely continuing to actively search for a F5 conference.

(1) He quote tweeted a Fox Sports College Hoops graphic showing the 7 schools, including UConn, with men's and women's bball in the top 25 and a bowl bound football program:
@UConnHuskyAD: "What would happen if we were given $35 - $50M in media revenue?"
https://twitter.com/UConnHuskyAD/status/1602473430108061696

(2) He retweeted a UConn fan's tweet that included the hashtag #UConnACC
@MarcjzHARTFORD: "And let it begin...it's time to announce...at LONNNNG LAST to start using recklessly... #UConnACC"
https://twitter.com/MarcjzHARTFORD/status/1598535452671107082?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1598535452671107082%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=
FenwayFriar

Postby billyjack » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:34 am

UConn fans that like their football team more than their hoops ---> clowns. But they're loud clowns.

Imagine leaving Rentschler all stoked up because you beat Florida International.
Providence
billyjack

Postby adoraz » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:46 pm

I definitely don't think the ACC will call right now, but it's certainly possible after they're raided (Clemson, UNC, Miami, etc.). Unfortunately UConn would likely accept as they'd be getting football money (3-5X as much?). The conference wouldn't be anywhere near as good or relevant as the current ACC but it would contain a lot of old Big East teams and football $$$ which is all that seems to matter.

Anyway, the ACC probably won't be raided anytime soon and UConn knows this otherwise they wouldn't have to campaign on social media. I also wouldn't blame them for leaving if offered an invite that substantially increased their revenue. This is a business and I get it. That said, this is the first time that I'm not rooting for a Big East team past December/OOC play because the antics of their AD and football coach have been disrespectful to the Big East. The Big East has helped elevate their basketball team to #2 in the nation as many of their recruits have cited the Big East as a reason for signing with them.

Unlike a Nova or Xavier I don't care if they get a 1 seed for the league or if they win a Title. I'm also not rooting against them as they can bring in Tournament credits and obviously have helped this year OOC, but I guess I'm just indifferent.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Jasper67 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:17 am

No respectable football conference is interested in UConn. Anyone who thinks this is remotely possible is simply delusional. Conference realignment is all about football and UConn has one of the worst football programs in the country with 11 consecutive losing seasons, including two 1-11 and two 2-10 seasons. To make matters worse, they don’t draw fans to their games. Their 5-year attendance average is ranked 85th. A P5 football conference is simply not in their future. Meanwhile UConn fans do love basketball. Their administration admitted as much when they acknowledged their mistake and returned to the Big East.
Jasper67

Postby adoraz » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:23 am

Lol that was unnecessary. Anyone who doesn't think this is remotely possible is simply delusional.

We've seen just last month the Big XII hold talks with Gonzaga, and UConn I'd think is more valuable. A poached ACC would likely be pulling from G5 schools and there really aren't any respectable brands remaining. Even with dreadful football UConn may be more appealing, or the ACC could even offer an invite without football (unsure if UConn would accept).

Anyway I'm not saying this would definitely happen by any means, it may even be lower than 50% odds, but you're kidding yourself if you're putting their flight odds at 0%.
Johnnies
adoraz

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board