Seton Hall - Willard Thread...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Seton Hall - Willard Thread...

Postby billyjack » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:31 am

Hall2012 wrote:Maryland makes Willard official:

https://twitter.com/TerrapinHoops/statu ... xDVkQ&s=19

Obviously SHU can't do the same until SPU's season ends.

I'm really looking forward to watching Holloway, and agree it was time Willard moved on.

But that Jerry Carino article reminded me that the Hall was in a bad spot when Willard arrived. The place was out of control with Bobby Gonzalez, almost as bad as Keno Davis at PC.

Willard completely changed the program for the better. You guys are again respected nationally, often ranked, make the tourney regularly, get great talent.

Carino also reminded how Willard developed a ton of players. And he was always a class act. The current Myles Powell thing though, i just know nothing about.

Maryland fans who are being critical are typical dipsh-ts. Turgeon sucked as a coach, got nothing out of his talent, and was an embarrassment in the sideline, acting like a 5 year old.

Willard will also benefit from favorable fellating B1G press and their PR department.

This is a total win-win.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby adoraz » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:34 am

I'd prefer Holloway personally. Great timing for Hall.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby kayako » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:37 am

$4.4M per year... I think they panicked when Pitino, Cooley, etc., rejected them and really overpaid for their next target.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:38 am

billyjack wrote:

I'm really looking forward to watching Holloway, and agree it was time Willard moved on.

But that Jerry Carino article reminded me that the Hall was in a bad spot when Willard arrived. The place was out of control with Bobby Gonzalez, almost as bad as Keno Davis at PC.

Willard completely changed the program for the better. You guys are again respected nationally, often ranked, make the tourney regularly, get great talent.

Carino also reminded how Willard developed a ton of players. And he was always a class act. The current Myles Powell thing though, i just know nothing about.

Maryland fans who are being critical are typical dipsh-ts. Turgeon sucked as a coach, got nothing out of his talent, and was an embarrassment in the sideline, acting like a 5 year old.

Willard will also benefit from favorable fellating B1G press and their PR department.

This is a total win-win.

I think Willard would benefit right now as well because of where Georgetown is. I've never seen basketball in the DMV this bad. Everyone is down at the same time. 2 of the schools got rid of the coach(Maryland, GW), and Georgetown obviously should. George Mason has a coach finished 1st year. Navy only local team really over .500.
stever20

Postby kayako » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:45 am

I hope Willard is the last BE coach poached away from the conference for a while.
supernova
kayako

Postby Husky_U » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:49 am

I think a lot of top DMV kids would still rather play in the BE or ACC than a Midwest-centric conference. And I'm not sure that Willard has the likeability/personality to offset that when recruiting. He better pick some good assistants.
Husky_U

Postby ecasadoSBU » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:56 pm

Its crazy the amount of money Maryland is willing to drop on Kevin Willard. Just WOW.

He is good. But is he really THAT good? Insane
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:44 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:Its crazy the amount of money Maryland is willing to drop on Kevin Willard. Just WOW.

He is good. But is he really THAT good? Insane

Kansas St just hired a guy away from the Baylor staff with no experience and is paying him 2.1 million per. Coaching salaries are going up pretty quickly.
stever20

Postby MackNova » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:20 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:well... at least Willard isn't full of shi#. He is keeping it real

Agreed. I get why a Seton Hall fan wouldn't like his post-game comments, but I didn't have a problem with it. He was honest. Seems like revisionist history to say they lost because of that. It didn't stop St. Peter's from winning.

The real question - are SHU fans rooting for St. Peter's? The easy answer is yes, but the galaxy brain answer might be no so he can start recruiting ASAP.
MackNova

Postby Burrito » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:39 pm

I wonder how well Willard will do at Maryland in the Big Ten. Is he better than the coach they fired (Turgeon)?

Chris Holtmann is doing well at Ohio State, although being criticized for not making any deep runs in the tournament. Chris Mack is now unemployed.
Last edited by Burrito on Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burrito

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board