Xavier: Steele Out, Miller returns

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Xavier Steele is gone

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:58 pm

If the Big East wants respect we've gotta start playing dirty, right? Miller to X and Pitino to SJU!
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:04 pm

I'm speechless (in a good way). No way I thought Xavier would pull the trigger. Everyone had such high hopes for Steele, and I am truly sorry it didn't work out. He was an exceptional recruiter under Mack and the belief was that X would continue the strong momentum it had under Matta, Miller and Mack. Alas, no program can make a perfect hire all the time. Much like Marquette made the difficult (but easy) decision to fire Wojo last Spring, Xavier made the correct choice in moving on from Steele.

Matta, Miller and Mack are all available. Do they pursue any of those candidates? Do they go outside the X circle? They don't make this move unless they have a candidate targeted - wonder who that will be.

Congrats, X. Better days ahead.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Xudash » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:11 pm

Omaha1 wrote:Was Miller connected with all of the NCAA allegation at Arizona with Ayton?

He was connected to them.

I pulled this off the web:

Miller has denied wrongdoing and isn't named in the federal complaint. The university fired Richardson, and he later pleaded guilty to accepting $20,000 in bribes from aspiring business manager Christian Dawkins. He was sentenced to a three-month prison sentence in 2019. - - Mar 5, 2021

Rumors are flying that Sean Miller is on campus now (coming from sources outside of the message boards that are credible, but nothing substantiated). Either way, if X is open to considering Sean Miller, then a hell of a lot of vetting is going to take place over these issues. They may be taking place as I write this.

Sean Miller would be a slam dunk for Xavier and for the Big East if these issues are surmountable.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:25 pm

Xudash wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:Was Miller connected with all of the NCAA allegation at Arizona with Ayton?

Miller has denied wrongdoing and isn't named in the federal complaint. The university fired Richardson, and he later pleaded guilty to accepting $20,000 in bribes from aspiring business manager Christian Dawkins. He was sentenced to a three-month prison sentence in 2019. - - Mar 5, 2021

Rumors are flying that Sean Miller is on campus now (coming from sources outside of the message boards that are credible, but nothing substantiated). Either way, if X is open to considering Sean Miller, then a hell of a lot of vetting is going to take place over these issues. They may be taking place as I write this.

Sean Miller would be a slam dunk for Xavier and for the Big East if these issues are surmountable.

I remember a VCU troll joined the MU boards in 2013 to proclaim that Shaka was for sure leaving VCU for MU, that he had told the players, that recruits were notified, etc. It got our entire board into a tizzy - until a poster went to the VCU board and he created an entire thread making fun of MU and sharing his troll success.

The good thing here is that Sean Miller is not employed, so no random fan bases can come and start stop (except maybe Cincinnati fans haha).
GoldenWarrior11

Postby kayako » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:29 pm

Xudash wrote:

I think the baggage is worth it if Sean Miller is as loyal to Xavier as you had explained to us. McMahon and Golden may be great coaches, but what good is it if they're a flight risk after a couple of good seasons?
supernova
kayako

Postby Xudash » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:50 pm

kayako wrote:
Xudash wrote:

I think the baggage is worth it if Sean Miller is as loyal to Xavier as you had explained to us. McMahon and Golden may be great coaches, but what good is it if they're a flight risk after a couple of good seasons?

Exactly. I'm confident that he would stay at X for all the earlier key reasons cited: BE conference affiliation, major upgrades to the Cintas Center since he left, his family's love of Cincinnati, his love for Xavier, etc. He went and tried it at a football school in the desert and it didn't work out, and that included Xavier making it to one of its 3 E8's through him directly.

You guys have had Jay for 21 years. Sean is 53 years old and is still full of passion and energy. I would love to have him on Victory Parkway for 10 to 15 solid years.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby XU85 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:58 pm

Forgive me if it was posted here, but it's probably worth repeating anyway, but Sean Miller was at the UConn game. Some people said he addressed the team, but I did not see that confirmed. Maybe Dash knows? If he did, not surprising that was the only decent win this team had over the last 10 games.
Xavier, 85 & 87
XU85

Postby Xudash » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:15 pm

XU85 wrote:Forgive me if it was posted here, but it's probably worth repeating anyway, but Sean Miller was at the UConn game. Some people said he addressed the team, but I did not see that confirmed. Maybe Dash knows? If he did, not surprising that was the only decent win this team had over the last 10 games.

He did address the team.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Xuperman » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:45 pm

Novachap wrote:Dash, XUP and other X fans.... looks like this was in the works for a bit and frankly it needed to be. He lost the team a while ago. Countless BB IQ bad plays and the unwillingness/ inability to adapt and adjust are evidence. X seemed to do great out of conference, but in conference, well they saw that movie before. Travis just never had the chops to change game plans and clearly couldn't adjust in game. Honestly, surprising. I thought he was a good hire when Mack left, but his sweet spot was recruiting and that is where he should have stayed.

So, seems to be a big push for Miller. Do you think the admin will go for that considering the cloud / baggage around him? Heck, if they are willing to bite the bullet on Miller, they ought to make a play for Pitino too!

Hey Chap, our hearts are heavy on V Parkway, but this is an easy call. Under Steele the "X brand" has been undeniably damaged. Coach Stee!e, in FACT, lost the CINTAS persona. He lost the areana. That is the death Knell.

New coach? Save any $$ for a coach search and just get us to Miller time for in the 3 Mil range.

Can anyone here make a legit claim against him?
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

Postby X Factor » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:16 am

Not to take anything away from any of the other coaches in this league, because there are some really good ones, but if Xavier gets Sean Miller back, he will instantly be the 2nd best HC behind Wright. He took Xavier to an Elite 8 and Sweet 16 in back to back years at Xavier, and multiple Elite 8's and S16's at UofA.

He will restore a culture of toughness at Xavier that the program was known for having. He will recruit at a high level.

Steele was a great assistant and he recruited very well, but he never got it going as HC. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up.
X Factor

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board