Musketeers Review

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Musketeers Review

Postby BEhomer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:23 am

I think given the circumstances he made the best decision. I know as fans you guys want him to come back and dominate and get drafted in the lottery, but there is never a guarantee that will happen. If he's looking at a long rehab and miss much of the season then his draft stock will not improve much next year. Might as well pull the trigger when he's younger and his name still fresh in many scouts' memory.
BEhomer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:44 am

BEhomer wrote:I think given the circumstances he made the best decision. I know as fans you guys want him to come back and dominate and get drafted in the lottery, but there is never a guarantee that will happen. If he's looking at a long rehab and miss much of the season then his draft stock will not improve much next year. Might as well pull the trigger when he's younger and his name still fresh in many scouts' memory.

That's a debatable strategy. Not saying you're wrong, just that there are 2 sides to this argument. The other side is that right now he's damaged goods with 2 major injuries and an unknown up side.
Bill Marsh

Postby ProvidenceNJ » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:56 am

These kids get such bad advice. Loaded draft right now. Sumner should fix his knee and shoulder. Maybe he comes on strong at the end of next season. Worst case scenario is he returns his senior season and gets a college diploma.
ProvidenceNJ

Postby xavierfano8 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:29 am

ProvidenceNJ wrote:These kids get such bad advice. Loaded draft right now. Sumner should fix his knee and shoulder. Maybe he comes on strong at the end of next season. Worst case scenario is he returns his senior season and gets a college diploma.

Agree with the first part, and this is a loaded draft at point guard.

Sumner was quoted as saying he would have 100% come back if a doctor could have guaranteed he could practice or by December. That wasn't the case and he was worried about missing next year altogether which would leave him in the same spot he's at now. I really doubt coming back for a 5th year would be in his plans so I think he made the right call to go ahead and declare.
Xavier University '12
xavierfano8

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:58 am

xavierfano8 wrote:
ProvidenceNJ wrote:These kids get such bad advice. Loaded draft right now. Sumner should fix his knee and shoulder. Maybe he comes on strong at the end of next season. Worst case scenario is he returns his senior season and gets a college diploma.

Sumner was quoted as saying he would have 100% come back if a doctor could have guaranteed he could practice or by December. That wasn't the case and he was worried about missing next year altogether which would leave him in the same spot he's at now. I really doubt coming back for a 5th year would be in his plans so I think he made the right call to go ahead and declare.

Sometimes we all have a hard time accepting reality. I'd make the case that sitting out next season and coming back for a 5th year to reestablish his value is precisely what he should do. There's a good chance that he's not going to get drafted by anyone in his current condition, so what has he accomplished by entering it?

It stinks that his plans have been disrupted. But life has a way of doing that to all of us. Forcing the issue isn't going to change anything. The good news is that after 2 more years in college, he'll have his degree and maybe even a master's. With no guarantee that he'll ever be the same player again, he'd be much better set for life with his higher education completed than he will this way.
Bill Marsh

Postby DanofXav76 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:41 am

I'm not a 100% certain but I think Edmund has either already earned his degree or will do so by the end of this semester. Also by all accounts he's very intelligent and will have a good life beyond his basketball years. It's been a lot of fun to watch him on the court these last two seasons and wish him every success. Go X!!
DanofXav76

Postby xavierfano8 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:27 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
xavierfano8 wrote:

Sometimes we all have a hard time accepting reality. I'd make the case that sitting out next season and coming back for a 5th year to reestablish his value is precisely what he should do. There's a good chance that he's not going to get drafted by anyone in his current condition, so what has he accomplished by entering it?

It stinks that his plans have been disrupted. But life has a way of doing that to all of us. Forcing the issue isn't going to change anything. The good news is that after 2 more years in college, he'll have his degree and maybe even a master's. With no guarantee that he'll ever be the same player again, he'd be much better set for life with his higher education completed than he will this way.

There's also no guarantee that if he came back for a 5th year he would reestablish his value. What if he comes back for a 5th year and gets injured again? Then he just wasted 2 full years doing basically nothing and got 2 years older. He may not get drafted, but he has too much talent for someone not to give him a shot. You can always go back and get a degree. I guess there's two sides of it, but even as much as I love Xavier it would be an easy choice for me if I was told I might not play at all next year.
Xavier University '12
xavierfano8

Postby Savannah Jay » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:11 pm

If he gets drafted, he will get to rehab under the watchful eye (and with the abundant resources) of an NBA team. If he came back, he would be able to do the same with Xavier's docs and trainers.

What if he doesn't get drafted?
Savannah Jay

Postby JohnW22 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:36 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:If he gets drafted, he will get to rehab under the watchful eye (and with the abundant resources) of an NBA team. If he came back, he would be able to do the same with Xavier's docs and trainers.

What if he doesn't get drafted?

Then he's on his own and his agent pays for it and Ed will have to pay him back.
XU
JohnW22

Postby xusandy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:58 am

What makes sense logically for adults does not necessarily make sense to kids in Ed Sumner's position. He might be doing the right thing for his future, and he might be doing the wrong thing. His best case scenario now seems to be hat an NBA team uses a low round 2 pick on him and pays for his rehab -- maybe even in Cincy so he can finish his degree at the same time. That's not too much of a logical stretch for me.

Anyway, thanks for the memories, Ed, and best wishes for a full recovery. But Gee, I guess now we might NOT be ranked in the pre-season top 20 next season, and now we'll have only 4 starters returning, joined by what looks like the best recruiting class in our history. In the words of Linda Ronstadt, "poor, poor pitiful me."
xusandy

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board