How Hot Are Our Coaches Seats?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: How Hot Are Our Coaches Seats?

Postby NJRedman » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:55 pm

You Nova favs are so insecure. Try learning to read a post and actually understand what it says. It wasn't coaching ability, I started with SJU because it's my f---ing school. Guess what, he keeps losing the first weekend his seat will get hotter and all of you will start to call him on it.
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:56 pm

Burrito wrote:This league has a solid group of coaches. If anybody's seat is warm, it is probably Willard. He had that great recruiting class last year. If he's not able to accomplish anything of note over the next couple of years with them, I could see Seton Hall going in a different direction.

Next couple years? I hope it's this year or bust for Willard. Seems like a nice guy but he's already been there like 5 years and no NCAAs....
Jet915

Postby NJRedman » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:58 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:"Villanova/Jay Wright- 3 Cold, Wright has his team as the class of the league but I'm sure fans aren't happy with the quick exits from the NCAA tourney."

I think Villanova has beaten St. John's the last 14 out of 15 times we played. Jay Wright has brought in Omari Spellman and Jalen Brunson, both Top 20 / 5-star recruits over the last 2 years. Jalen was a burger boy and played on Team USA, Omari will probably be a McDonald's All-American as well. He got a transfer from the A-10 rookie of the year who put up some pretty nice numbers against St. John's as a freshman at Fordham. We have made the tournament 9 out of the last 10 years, which included a final four, elite 8s, sweet 16s, etc. We have RUN through the Big East the last 2 years, if it wasn't for Creighton in 2013-2014 beating us twice, our dominance over the Big East is almost laughable.

We have had a few early exits, there is no denying that, and Jay Wright is probably the most upset about it, but for somebody who roots for a school like St. John's, who has not won a tournament game in over 15 years, to give an unproven coach a higher grade than Jay Wright is ABSURD. I love St. John's, go to about 6 games a year, but some of your fans still think it is 1986. St. John's has got A LOT to prove and Mullin has brought in some nice pieces, but Rawle Alkins is not walking through that door. A .500 year this year would almost be good for St. John's.

I am sorry if this has come off as harsh, and I know Chris Mullin is a great guy, a tremendous basketball player, and a wonderful representative of St. John's, but before COACH Chris Mullin and St. John's are to be mentioned in the same sentence as Coach Jay Wright and Villanova, there is a ridiculous amount of work to be done.

It doesn't come off as harsh, it comes as stupid and insecure. It's a post asking about each coaches job security, you clearly can't understand basic off season bball conversations.
NJRedman

Postby NJRedman » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:00 pm

Jet915 wrote:
Burrito wrote:This league has a solid group of coaches. If anybody's seat is warm, it is probably Willard. He had that great recruiting class last year. If he's not able to accomplish anything of note over the next couple of years with them, I could see Seton Hall going in a different direction.

Next couple years? I hope it's this year or bust for Willard. Seems like a nice guy but he's already been there like 5 years and no NCAAs....

Yeah, it's sink or swim for Willardavd the Pirates this year.
NJRedman

Postby NJRedman » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:03 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:I won't have the same passion as ChestR but as a long time Nova fan, I think I have a pretty good pulse on how we (alumns and fans) feel about our coach. I think if polled 98% would say that we wouldn't trade Jay for anyone. Not Coach K, not Calipari, not Ricky Pitino. Considering his age, his ability to recruit, his success on the floor as a coach, how seriously he promotes the idea of true student-athletes, his charisma as a spokesman for both Villanova University and the BE Conference, etc, etc etc. He is about as good as you can get and he wants to be at Nova. It's his dream job. He is not going anywhere and we don't want him to go anywhere.

JW sells this conference every chance he gets on the National stage. Talk all you want about early exits but he is one of 2 coaches in the league to make the FF and last time I checked no other nBE school played in MORE tourney games, or has had MORE tourney wins than JW and Villanova since inception. So judge disappointment all you will while enjoying the $ being brought in to your school's coffers via tourney credits earned.

I think your rating of 3 is based on the idea that he has not met expectations in the tourney. Should he be persecuted because he lost to a lower seed 2 years in a row (not to mention that one of those teams actually went on to win the NC) or applauded for being the lone BE school to be ranked in the Top 10 two years in a row and bringing the conference on a whole, a lot of relevance and credibility. We'll be fine long term in the tourney. I just want him to get us there every year, and he has shown that in spades. AS a Nova fan I'd say Jay is at about 0.5 on a scale to 1-10 IMO.

Gun to your head right now SJU fans. If you could trade Mullin for Wright, would you?

Would we take a proven coach who has been to a final four over a coach who is brand new? Of f---ing course we would but that wasn't what the post was about.
NJRedman

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:02 pm

Wow I guess everyone is on edge. Don't appreciate the obtuse, etc comments but whatever.

I wasn't trying to make it a Mullin vs Wright debate in terms of who is the better coach, but the OP did in fact bring an subjective ranking to the table and made the presumption that maybe Nova fans should be less than completely ecstatic to have Jay at the helm.

And perhaps I should have elaborated my last point better... What I meant by the last comment was: "Considering all of the points I made about Wright...and he was your coach right now instead of an unproven guy who you thought was the only coach completely immune from any pressure to succeed this year...and your coach was doing all of these things that JW is doing for our program--great ambassador, 10' out of last 11 making the tourney, FF, great guy for the conf overall etc--would you ever consider him anywhere near the hot seat?" In other words project Jay as your coach instead of Mullin in the context of the original post. Would you defend him as vociferously as we have? If he was the SJU coach now or for the past 15 years and had been as successful, would you rank him any less than 1? So gun to your head, switch Mullin and Wrights resumes as a SJU fan and answer the same question you posed to the board.
Last edited by GumbyDamnit! on Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby NJRedman » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:22 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Wow I guess everyone is on edge. Don't appreciate the obtuse, etc comments but whatever.

I wasn't trying to make it a Mullin vs Wright debate in terms of who is the better coach, but the OP did in fact bring an objective ranking to the table and made the presumption that maybe Nova fans should be less than companies merely ecstatic To have Jay at the helm.

And perhaps I should have elaborated my last point better... What I meant by the last comment was: "Considering all of the points I made about Wright...and he was your coach right now instead of an unproven guy who you thought was the only coach completely immune from any pressure to succeed this year...and your coach was doing all of these things that JW is doing for our program--great ambassador, 10' out of last 11 making the tourney, FF, great guy for the conf overall etc--would you ever consider him anywhere near the hot seat?" In other words project Jay as your coach instead of Mullin in the context of the original post. Would you defend him as vociferously as we have? If he was the SJU coach now or for the past 15 years and had been as successful, would you rank him any less than 1? So gun to your head, switch Mullin and Wrights resumes as a SJU fan and answer the same question you posed to the board.

I didn't put him anywhere near the hot seat, I said his seat was cold that's why we're calling you insecure. I said his seat was cold, I gave him a 3 because the knock against him right now is that he has early exits. Mullin got a 1 because he is the best player in school history and has recruited well. Once the games start being played some fans will bitch about him.

No I didn't bring a ranking into it, it's not a ranking at all! They are literally listed in the order that I remembered the coaches names. And I said for you guys to give me your ideas about who is on the hot seat not to come out swinging to defend your precious Jay.
NJRedman

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:30 pm

NJRedman wrote:I didn't put him anywhere near the hot seat, I said his seat was cold that's why we're calling you insecure.

No I didn't bring a ranking into it, it's not a ranking at all! They are literally listed in the order that I remembered the coaches names. And I said for you guys to give me your ideas about who is on the hot seat not to come out swinging to defend your precious Jay.

Mullin- 1 Mullin is the golden boy who returned home.

Villanova/Jay Wright- 3 I'm sure fans aren't happy with the quick exits from the NCAA tourney.

Um...hello.??? Mullin = 1 b/c he "is the golden boy" and Jay is a 3 b/c of "quick exits from the tourney." So if you are not bringing a subjective ranking to this why is there a 1 next to Mullin and higher numbers next to every other coach in the league? And if you invited feedback and then got defensive about a differing opinion, then why bother asking others to participate in your little coaching hot seat manifesto?

Not sure why I care--it probably is not worth debating you over semantics. You have always been a little all over the place with your allegiance to SJU. I remember you defending SJU player thug antics with the Creighton fans, and reminding them that they aren't worthy enough to be in the same sentence with the mighty SJU. So I know you are naturally defensive. You're from Joisey...you guys are natural underdogs and fighters. I get that.

But you know what the more I think about it you are right...we Nova fans do give Jay W too much of a free pass. I mean I would put him at a 3, maybe even 4, just for that loss he had vs. SJU back in 2011. I mean he did lose 1 of his last 14 games vs. the Johnnies. 93% winning % vs. SJU the past dozen years. Disgraceful. Get him out of here. Maybe we can dust off Norm Roberts...got his #?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Burrito » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:18 pm

Redman gave JT3 a worse score than Wright. Thompson would have to commit a homicide for his job to be in jeopardy. Are they going to tell him he can't practice in the soon to be built John Thompson Center? That'll go over well.
Burrito

Postby BEX » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:40 pm

As an X fan, I have never heard of anybody calling for Mack to go. Normal grumbling, of course, but really, look at the guy's record. He somehow gets his teams to March and usually advances and is a terrific recruiter. Yeah, he'd probably take a Top 10 job buts that's about it. I think he probably would have taken the California job but think the wife put the nix on it. It will be a yearly drama, I'm sure.
BEX

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board