Number of Top 100 players to non-football schools

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Number of Top 100 players to non-football schools

Postby MUBoxer » Fri May 01, 2015 10:43 pm

stever20 wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:Can't speak for all the teams but we have a decent amount of top 100 recruits, probably most in the conference and aren't exactly beating the world so it's clearly not everything. Also we had one more but let him out of his commitment after his weird mental break down

Those top 100 recruits haven't played yet.

Duane wilson, Luke fisher, jajuan johnson, sandy Cohen. All of whom played last year. Wow listing that made me realize since this time last year we've lost 4 former top 100s, 5 if you go back to right when buzz left.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat May 02, 2015 4:25 am

robinreed wrote:The number of the top 100 (ESPN) basketball players who have signed with the football playing DIV 1 schools is 90
There are 4 players who have not decided yet or at least have not signed.

The non-football playing schools signed 6 of the top 100 players to basketball scholarships.

The Big East, after a very good year and 6 NCAA tourney bids signed 5 of the 6 players who will attend non-football DIV 1 schools. The remaining player will attend Wichita State. Non-football schools such as Dayton, VCU, St. Louis, Gonzaga etc. have none of the top 100.

For those interested in expansion this puts a new light on expansion with non-football schools only. They simply can not draw the interest from high school players as the football schools obviously are able to do. We in the Big East can and will defy this trend and our current membership will probably not be harmed if we can pull in 5 or more of the top 100 each and every year. However the A-10, Horizon, West Coast, MVC and other leagues are harmed by this trend. I also expect the FCOA may provide a greater benefit to the football playing schools as well.

Comments please

This is a big conclusion to draw from a single recruiting season. Last year 6 of the ESPN top 100 signed with non-football schools outside the Big East. A 7th signed with UAB, which has since dropped football.

The football schools draw the interest of top high school kids because of success and exposure. Any schools that can accomplish that in basketball will be able to recruit successfully regardless of football. The real issue is not football. It's money.

The P5 are accumulating such vast resources that it's going to be hard for anyone to compete with them. Billy Donovan showed that basketball can win national championships at a football school. Shaka Smart has gone to Texas with the goal of doing the same thing. Those schools can throw more money at top, high profile coaches than anyone else. That's the scary thing.
Bill Marsh

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sat May 02, 2015 6:20 am

stever20 wrote:I wouldn't say that the NE is in a geographic hotbed of talent any longer.

Stever, you're right...Balt/DC, Philly, NY/NJ is a terrible geographic area for hoops talent these days. I mean of the 10 recruited players on Nova's roster next year only 9 of them came from that area. My bad. B/c that formula has been terrible for JW. And SHU's best recruiting class in 25 years were all kids from...??? How many kids from DC to NY litter the rosters of the best programs in the nation? I guess Coach K and Cal and Boeheim and Izzo and Self all stay away from the Northeast when recruiting, huh?

I'll draw a 250 mile radius from Philly. Show me an area of the country that is even remotely close to the amount of HS basketball talent within that circle. But you can keep using a very narrow sample size of data to support whatever argument you want.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat May 02, 2015 7:37 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
stever20 wrote:I wouldn't say that the NE is in a geographic hotbed of talent any longer.

Stever, you're right...Balt/DC, Philly, NY/NJ is a terrible geographic area for hoops talent these days. I mean of the 10 recruited players on Nova's roster next year only 9 of them came from that area. My bad. B/c that formula has been terrible for JW. And SHU's best recruiting class in 25 years were all kids from...??? How many kids from DC to NY litter the rosters of the best programs in the nation? I guess Coach K and Cal and Boeheim and Izzo and Self all stay away from the Northeast when recruiting, huh?

I'll draw a 250 mile radius from Philly. Show me an area of the country that is even remotely close to the amount of HS basketball talent within that circle. But you can keep using a very narrow sample size of data to support whatever argument you want.

Even to the extent that his statement is accurate, what is it even supposed to mean going forward. That this is a permanent condition? That instead of being partly the normal be and flow of talent, that basketball talent in the Northeast has completely dried up?
Bill Marsh

Postby hoyahooligan » Sat May 02, 2015 9:45 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:

Look at all the talent in the Midatlantic/NE for next year

2016:
#11 VJ King VA ( not truly a local, but it's hard to look up this info with kids moving so much so I'm just going based off of where Rivals has them listed)
#14 Tyus Battle NJ
#19 Omari Spellman MA
#22 Mustpha Heron CT
#24 Markelle Fultz MD
#26 Rawle Alkins NY
#27 Miles Bridges WV
#37 Mamadi Diakite VA
#48 Kassoum Yakwe NY
#52 Anthony Cowan DC
#53 Bruce Bowen VT
#54 Curtis Jones WV
#66 Temple Gibbs NJ
#73 Sacha Kileya-Jones VA
#76 Tony Carr PA
#78 Rodney Miller VA
#88 Edward Ekiyor NH
#90 Josh Hall VA
#94 Lamar Stevens PA
#99 Shamorie Ponds NY

There are 21 from the same area in Rivals 2017 rankings which only go up to 75. So almost a 3rd from the BE recruiting areas.

So yeah stever is not even close to being correct about the talent in the NE/Midatlantic.

And going back to this 2015 year I count 26 kids listed for the NE/Mid Atlantic states.
hoyahooligan

Postby stever20 » Sat May 02, 2015 11:05 am

If you are going into Virginia and West Virginia- that's not really the Northeast at all. Even Maryland isn't really considered the NE at all. Going from PA up in 2016- only 11 from PA going up. Used to be you would see at least 15-20 easily. Population trends change.

I'm sorry- but the NE isn't what it used to be in recruiting. You say what area of the country that has the same amount of HS talent. How about the state of Florida. They have 10 top 100 players. Texas has 10 top 100 players- with 9 within 100 miles of Dallas(and the 10th only in Houston). That's both way more concentrated then the entire NE.

The NE may not be a terrible geographic area, but it's not special like it used to be. Times change. Like instead of being great it's just very good now.

Just compare Georgetown's roster now to 1985.
roster had 6 guys drafted into the pros....
Ewing- MA
Martin- DC
Wingate- MD
Jackson- VA
Dalton- MD
Williams- MD

Nova had 6 guys drafted
Pickney NY
McClain MA
McClain MA
Pressley CT
Everson NY
Jensen CT

St John's- had
Mullin NY
Jackson NY
Berry NY
Wennington QC
Glass NJ(the wiki page i'm looking at doesn't have the draftees for St John's but I think he got drafted).
Jones NY

So 3 teams made the final 4- and the only one that wasn't really local that got drafted was Wennington all the way up in Montreal(and even there).

The league is shifting. It's not going to just be NE totally anywhere near what it used to be. With 5 MW schools now- that's changed.
stever20

Postby Xudash » Sat May 02, 2015 1:53 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:

Look at all the talent in the Midatlantic/NE for next year

2016:
#11 VJ King VA ( not truly a local, but it's hard to look up this info with kids moving so much so I'm just going based off of where Rivals has them listed)
#14 Tyus Battle NJ
#19 Omari Spellman MA
#22 Mustpha Heron CT
#24 Markelle Fultz MD
#26 Rawle Alkins NY
#27 Miles Bridges WV
#37 Mamadi Diakite VA
#48 Kassoum Yakwe NY
#52 Anthony Cowan DC
#53 Bruce Bowen VT
#54 Curtis Jones WV
#66 Temple Gibbs NJ
#73 Sacha Kileya-Jones VA
#76 Tony Carr PA
#78 Rodney Miller VA
#88 Edward Ekiyor NH
#90 Josh Hall VA
#94 Lamar Stevens PA
#99 Shamorie Ponds NY

There are 21 from the same area in Rivals 2017 rankings which only go up to 75. So almost a 3rd from the BE recruiting areas.

So yeah stever is not even close to being correct about the talent in the NE/Midatlantic.

And going back to this 2015 year I count 26 kids listed for the NE/Mid Atlantic states.

Perhaps the other 2/3's reside within Tulsa's city limits (I thought it might be appropriate to mention TULSA at this point).
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby hoyahooligan » Sat May 02, 2015 4:07 pm

stever20 wrote:If you are going into Virginia and West Virginia- that's not really the Northeast at all. Even Maryland isn't really considered the NE at all. Going from PA up in 2016- only 11 from PA going up. Used to be you would see at least 15-20 easily. Population trends change.

I'm sorry- but the NE isn't what it used to be in recruiting. You say what area of the country that has the same amount of HS talent. How about the state of Florida. They have 10 top 100 players. Texas has 10 top 100 players- with 9 within 100 miles of Dallas(and the 10th only in Houston). That's both way more concentrated then the entire NE.

The NE may not be a terrible geographic area, but it's not special like it used to be. Times change. Like instead of being great it's just very good now.

Just compare Georgetown's roster now to 1985.
roster had 6 guys drafted into the pros....
Ewing- MA
Martin- DC
Wingate- MD
Jackson- VA
Dalton- MD
Williams- MD

Nova had 6 guys drafted
Pickney NY
McClain MA
McClain MA
Pressley CT
Everson NY
Jensen CT

St John's- had
Mullin NY
Jackson NY
Berry NY
Wennington QC
Glass NJ(the wiki page i'm looking at doesn't have the draftees for St John's but I think he got drafted).
Jones NY

So 3 teams made the final 4- and the only one that wasn't really local that got drafted was Wennington all the way up in Montreal(and even there).

The league is shifting. It's not going to just be NE totally anywhere near what it used to be. With 5 MW schools now- that's changed.

I never said it was the NE. I said NE and Midatlantic since those are the regions that Georgetown and most of the Original BE teams recruit.

Nor do we need to only recruit those areas. the Midwest is also with in our foot print too.
hoyahooligan

Postby Omaha1 » Sat May 02, 2015 4:43 pm

Former VCU signee Kenny Williams announced today that he will sign with UNC instead. #82 in ESPn Top 100.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby stever20 » Sat May 02, 2015 7:02 pm

thing is look at Georgetown's roster this year:
SC 1
DC 1
MD 2
Ind 1
NJ 1
NC 1
TX 1
Ill 1
FL 3
WA 1
PA 1

9 folks from SC, Indiana, North Carolina, Texas, Illinois, Florida, and Washington(state). Only 5 from DC, Maryland, New Jersey, and PA.

That's not NE and Mid-Atlantic. More from Florida than any other place. This year's class a bit better- 3 guys- 1 from NY, 1 from Fairfax VA(a suburb of DC), and then the 3rd though from down in Martinsville,VA(down near the VA/NC border).

Bottom line- especially NE basketball isn't what it was even 10 years ago. The state of NY had 7 4 star or better recruits. NJ- 8. CT- 2. MA-5.

If anything things have shifted more towards the mid-atlantic. PA with 6, MD with 5, VA with 6. WV with 2. So NE with only 22, mid atlantic with 19. That's great for Georgetown(and NOVA)- but for SH, SJ, and PC- they need the NE to get back where it used to be.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board