The Case for Dayton

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The Case for Dayton

Postby handdownmandown » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:19 am

ohiohsbball wrote:
This thread can not end well.

That was decided when the thread went live.

And speaking of causes for thid thread being doomed, I cannot imagine the new 3 allowimg themselves to be led around by their noses by the C7. Even if it were true there is no way you could know that. But hey, let it all out.
handdownmandown

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:45 am

Dayton is too good for the Big East.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby ohiohsbball » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:50 am

xu2002 wrote:
SJHooper wrote:Still waiting to hear what Dayton has accomplished at the national level besides tourney appearances in the past few decades that should warrant them a Big East spot.

They managed to lose one of the worst tournament games of all time 10 years ago to Depaul in the first round.

Over the past 5 years they've managed a 41-39 record in A-10 play and an average of 7.4 place in conference. For reference, during Xavier's last 5 years in the A-10 they had a conference record of 60-20 with an average finish in 2nd place, coming in 1st 3 of the years.

I don't know about one of the worst tournament games of all time. According to posts over on the Xavier board, high major caliber teams like Xavier do not belong in play in games, and not only did Xavier make the game, they were blown out by NC State. Not sure about one of the worst all time tournament games.
ohiohsbball

Postby ohiohsbball » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:55 am

handdownmandown wrote:
ohiohsbball wrote:
This thread can not end well.

That was decided when the thread went live.

And speaking of causes for thid thread being doomed, I cannot imagine the new 3 allowimg themselves to be led around by their noses by the C7. Even if it were true there is no way you could know that. But hey, let it all out.

I don't think they'll be led around by their noses, but I do think the C7 will have a much bigger say. I don't remember exactly the source but about a year ago when all of this was announced there was a report on Outside the Lines on ESPN that the C7 would likely never go to 14 teams because at 12 they still have a majority. Definitely they were in the minority in the OBE with the football schools. Who knows though, it will be interesting to see how all of this plays out.
ohiohsbball

Postby xu2002 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:00 pm

ohiohsbball wrote:
xu2002 wrote:
SJHooper wrote:Still waiting to hear what Dayton has accomplished at the national level besides tourney appearances in the past few decades that should warrant them a Big East spot.

They managed to lose one of the worst tournament games of all time 10 years ago to Depaul in the first round.

Over the past 5 years they've managed a 41-39 record in A-10 play and an average of 7.4 place in conference. For reference, during Xavier's last 5 years in the A-10 they had a conference record of 60-20 with an average finish in 2nd place, coming in 1st 3 of the years.

I don't know about one of the worst tournament games of all time. According to posts over on the Xavier board, high major caliber teams like Xavier do not belong in play in games, and not only did Xavier make the game, they were blown out by NC State. Not sure about one of the worst all time tournament games.

I'll stand by my comment. I watched the game and it was brutal to watch both teams in that game. I never said Xavier's loss was pretty, but over the past 10 years I can think of quite a few great tournament games along the way. Until Dayton can win more then 1 tournament game a decade, go away. The majority of Big East fans don't want Dayton in the league. My reason has nothing to do with the Xavier/Dayton rivalry and everything to do with only expanding if it makes sense. My preference is to stay at 10 teams until there are 2 teams that have proven it is worth expanding. If Dayton can go on a run in the tournament this year, then turn that into 4 years of making the tournament and having a solid top 3 A-10 team then I'd be all for them being seriously considered. I want the strongest league possible.
xu2002

Postby marquette » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:11 pm

The only minority in this league is butler. There are other splits (jesuit, franciscan, dominican, etc; national/regional; bigger/smaller) but ideologically we are basically similar. That's the point. We need a list somewhere with the various ud conspiracy theories brought up here and a list of who subscribes to which. Let's see, we have jesuits control everything, older schools are bullying new members, no other schools will want to join. ..any others come to mind at the moment?

The above does not apply to the thread starter, ruechalgrin, or any other reasonable ud fans.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:23 pm

Dayton just upset Ohio State.

Certainly can't hurt Dayton's chances. I will be rooting for them the keep up their momentum.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:24 pm

Nice win Flyer fans. Congrats.
Go Nova
Dave

Postby aughnanure » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:27 pm

marquette wrote:The only minority in this league is butler. There are other splits (jesuit, franciscan, dominican, etc; national/regional; bigger/smaller) but ideologically we are basically similar. That's the point. We need a list somewhere with the various ud conspiracy theories brought up here and a list of who subscribes to which. Let's see, we have jesuits control everything, older schools are bullying new members, no other schools will want to join. ..any others come to mind at the moment?

The above does not apply to the thread starter, ruechalgrin, or any other reasonable ud fans.

Oh, they all think any members that do come in will be "second class citizens"....and they don't need that!
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes to make it possible”
aughnanure

Postby BEX » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:36 pm

Stack up some Sweet 16's and Elite 8's, Conference Championships and get back to us.
BEX

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board