What is the relationship between your school & the state one

The home for Big East hoops

Re: What is the relationship between your school & the state

Postby whiteandblue77 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:38 pm

Omaha1 wrote: The diehard Bluejays fans hate everything about the Huskers but there's a large segment who grew up in the state somewhere who root for them in football which we don't have?

First off, I'm from Omaha, went to Creighton Prep and am a 3rd Generation Creighton Alum. I love Creighton Basketball, soccer, baseball.

It's totally absurd to not understand why I root for Husker football and despise all other Husker sports.

1. If you're born and raised in Nebraska, if you're not a Husker football fan you might as well be from outer space because I've never met a normal red-blooded heterosexual male (or female for that matter) Nebraskan who didn't
2. The basketball team is a complete joke, dodged Creighton for 40 years and didnt' start playing us until they built the Bob Devaney center with Football money (Devaney was a friggin Football coach). Other than football, Basketball and the rest of the NU sports, especially baseball, are supremely hated by me and all Creighton Alums... except maybe Track because we don't have track.

Very simply, Husker football is completely different from all other NU sports when it comes to Creighton alums from Nebraska.

Creighton has a huge population of out-of-state students and most were Husker FOOTBALL haters and they all had problems with the passion that Nebraskan-born-and-bred Creightonians had for the 'skers football (especially those from Iowa and Colorado, two of Nebraska football's bitches). Get over it already.

... one last thing, I'm also a Notre Dame football fan, which is VERY rare in Nebraska...

Go Jays!
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MUSeashells&Balloons » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:56 pm

whiteandblue77 wrote:... one last thing, I'm also a Notre Dame football fan, which is VERY rare in Nebraska...

Go Jays!

Well I know for a fact that the president of Notre Dame is from Omaha and went to Creighton Prep. So I would say the Jenkins family is Notre Dame fans as well.
Coach Al Mcguire:
"I like seashells and balloons, ribbons and medals, bare feet and wet grass."
"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."
"Queen of victory, pray for us."
MUSeashells&Balloons

Postby MUSeashells&Balloons » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:01 am

I must be alone on the forum but I am very anti-Wisconsin and know many people at Marquette are as well. Full disclosure though I am not from Wisconsin though so have no reason to root for Wisconsin. Beat Bucky week is a celebration at Marquette that offers things like a chance to dispose of any Wisconsin apparel and receive free Marquette apparel in exchange.

As far as UW-Milwaukee I mostly pity them in our annual rivalry game the all-time serious record is now 40-0. Their Home court was about 200 feet away from Marquette's until last year it was pretty embarrassing for us to play "away games" there even though it was closer to Marquette than UWM and more Marquette fans showed up anyway. It seems as though UW-Milwaukee is tired of loosing as they are not listed on our OOC schedule at least yet.
Coach Al Mcguire:
MUSeashells&Balloons

Postby marquette » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:29 am

MUSeashells&Balloons wrote:I must be alone on the forum but I am very anti-Wisconsin and know many people at Marquette are as well. Full disclosure though I am not from Wisconsin though so have no reason to root for Wisconsin. Beat Bucky week is a celebration at Marquette that offers things like a chance to dispose of any Wisconsin apparel and receive free Marquette apparel in exchange.

As far as UW-Milwaukee I mostly pity them in our annual rivalry game the all-time serious record is now 40-0. Their Home court was about 200 feet away from Marquette's until last year it was pretty embarrassing for us to play "away games" there even though it was closer to Marquette than UWM and more Marquette fans showed up anyway. It seems as though UW-Milwaukee is tired of loosing as they are not listed on our OOC schedule at least yet.

You didn't hear? UW Milwaukee is moving back downtown. The move to campus was apparently a gigantic failure.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby MUSeashells&Balloons » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:39 am

marquette wrote: You didn't hear? UW Milwaukee is moving back downtown. The move to campus was apparently a gigantic failure.

Interesting they never really could fill MECCA/US Cellular Arena(Marquette and the Bucks old Arena till 1988 for you non-milwaukee people its an old arena like 1940's)
Coach Al Mcguire:
MUSeashells&Balloons

Postby cm5yz6 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:41 am

Xudash wrote:bringing up national championships from the Kennedy administration is ridiculous.

That is, as I already stated, my point. There hasn't been much recent national success by the two teams in the rivalry. I'm not trying to troll, just hoping we can keep our claims reasonable and saying Xavier-UC is a "top rate rivalry" with the likes of UNC-Duke, GTown-Syracuse, and UK-Louisville is unreasonable (they just haven't been there nationally like the the members of these rivalries). Once that is agreed upon, then the X-UC rivalry is no longer "top rate," it is, by definition, "second rate" (though that sounds harsh, its not meant that way, just in a rung below the top level).
cm5yz6

Postby blueblood » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:36 am

whiteandblue77 wrote:
Omaha1 wrote: The diehard Bluejays fans hate everything about the Huskers but there's a large segment who grew up in the state somewhere who root for them in football which we don't have?

First off, I'm from Omaha, went to Creighton Prep and am a 3rd Generation Creighton Alum. I love Creighton Basketball, soccer, baseball.

It's totally absurd to not understand why I root for Husker football and despise all other Husker sports.

1. If you're born and raised in Nebraska, if you're not a Husker football fan you might as well be from outer space because I've never met a normal red-blooded heterosexual male (or female for that matter) Nebraskan who didn't
2. The basketball team is a complete joke, dodged Creighton for 40 years and didnt' start playing us until they built the Bob Devaney center with Football money (Devaney was a friggin Football coach). Other than football, Basketball and the rest of the NU sports, especially baseball, are supremely hated by me and all Creighton Alums... except maybe Track because we don't have track.

Very simply, Husker football is completely different from all other NU sports when it comes to Creighton alums from Nebraska.

Creighton has a huge population of out-of-state students and most were Husker FOOTBALL haters and they all had problems with the passion that Nebraskan-born-and-bred Creightonians had for the 'skers football (especially those from Iowa and Colorado, two of Nebraska football's bitches). Get over it already.

... one last thing, I'm also a Notre Dame football fan, which is VERY rare in Nebraska...

Go Jays!

Hate the huskers, taught my kids to all hate the huskers. Bought my kids OU clothing to wear on days they were required to wear red to parochial school to support the huskers. Red is not allowed in our house. We all love chicks so you are wrong. The dorkism of husker worship in this state is embarrassing.
blueblood

Postby butlerguy03 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:01 am

MUSeashells&Balloons wrote:
marquette wrote: You didn't hear? UW Milwaukee is moving back downtown. The move to campus was apparently a gigantic failure.

Interesting they never really could fill MECCA/US Cellular Arena(Marquette and the Bucks old Arena till 1988 for you non-milwaukee people its an old arena like 1940's)

Except when Butler came to town. Pretty good when I've been there for games. Of course, that's when they were good, too.
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby Xudash » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:50 am

cm5yz6 wrote:
Xudash wrote:bringing up national championships from the Kennedy administration is ridiculous.

That is, as I already stated, my point. There hasn't been much recent national success by the two teams in the rivalry. I'm not trying to troll, just hoping we can keep our claims reasonable and saying Xavier-UC is a "top rate rivalry" with the likes of UNC-Duke, GTown-Syracuse, and UK-Louisville is unreasonable (they just haven't been there nationally like the the members of these rivalries). Once that is agreed upon, then the X-UC rivalry is no longer "top rate," it is, by definition, "second rate" (though that sounds harsh, its not meant that way, just in a rung below the top level).

So, prior to last year, do you have any clue of what Xavier accomplished in the prior ten years in the NCAA Tournament? Your statement about - at least Xavier in this case - not having much recent national success is idiotic.

If your standard for this is that "only schools that have made it to the F4 and/or won NC's" can be considered for the best rivalry discussion, then you truly are clueless. The RIVALRY topic is about just that: rivalries. It doesn't get much better than Army v. Navy in football, when it comes to rivalries. The tradition behind Harvard v. Yale is fueled by that rivalry. The topic here is about rivals.

I guess I could show you a number of national articles that show the X v. UC rivalry rated anywhere from a top ten status to no worse than in the top 20. As I noted before, this isn't about me expressing my opinion on this topic; I'm trying to point out to you that the national media look at it this way, which is to note that they aren't looking at it the same as you. So, though it's one article's list of the top 9: http://www.totalprosports.com/2012/02/10/9-best-rivalries-in-college-basketball-2012-edition/#7. Please note that this article has Xavier/UC ahead of one of your examples: Syracuse/Georgetown. It isn't my article. It isn't my opinion. I could look up other articles that have S/G ahead of X/UC, but both rated in close proximity to one another, which is to suggest that your "second rate" bucket is pretty lame as well.

If you aren't trolling, then consider getting your facts straight and reconsider your criteria. Xavier HAS HAD much recent national success. Teams with national championships aren't the only ones that are ALLOWED to have significant rivals and rivalries.

Xavier and UC couldn't be more different, institutionally speaking. They're 3.5 miles apart from one another. And they both reside in a college basketball crazy town. They go way back in terms of competing against one another.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby DumpsterFireA10 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:37 am

I've said it before that St. Louis is screwed up. They have SLU a couple miles away, and waste time and energy covering Mizzou.

It's starting to get more contentious in STL media, because a couple of the sports talk guys are SLU fans (including the Voice of the Billikens Bob Ramsey).

SLU is fighting an uphill battle because they don't promote themselves very well (at least so far). Even worse for SLU, the main media outlets in STL cover Illinois as well. So we're fighting not one, but two, state schools.
Big East Basketball is what it's always been. Great competition nightly.
If the Atlantic 10 didn't suck, why is everyone looking for the exits?
There is a reason why the A-10 left a team in the Central Time Zone...SLU, your move.
DumpsterFireA10

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board