Next Year.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Next Year.

Postby DudeAnon » Fri May 04, 2018 1:59 pm

So is next year arguably Villanova's worst team in the NBE thus far? I say that only if Spellman leaves, but my understanding is that is becoming more and more likely. Shit, even Divincenzo might be gone.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri May 04, 2018 4:47 pm

I hope both Spellman and Donte return to Radnor. Everybody this offseason has some big losses in personnel.

Whether kids stay or go, there is Incentive for the coaches to show their mettle, their coaching moxie. Should be a great conference season next season.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Letsgonova » Tue May 08, 2018 10:17 am

Villanova just picked up probably the best grad transfer on the market, Joe Cremo from Albany. 6'4" guard, shot 46% from 3 last season. Came down to VU and Kansas.

All rumblings are that Donte and Omari are both gone. Villanova will look very different with 4 of 6 "starters" gone, but will still be a strong team.
Letsgonova

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue May 08, 2018 11:03 am

Letsgonova wrote:Villanova just picked up probably the best grad transfer on the market, Joe Cremo from Albany. 6'4" guard, shot 46% from 3 last season. Came down to VU and Kansas.

All rumblings are that Donte and Omari are both gone. Villanova will look very different with 4 of 6 "starters" gone, but will still be a strong team.

Prob true (re: OS & DD).

Cremo = adding another big time shooter. Put him on the floor with Gillespie, Booth, Swider and Paschall and let it fly (again). The game is about shooters; we've still got a bunch of them. Hopefully he'll learn BE/Nova defensive intensity.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby pki1998 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:04 am

Nova loses a lot but until proven otherwise I stand by this prediction. Nova going to Nova and DePaul going to DePaul
Xavier
pki1998

Postby kayako » Tue May 08, 2018 11:41 am

This one caught me off guard. Does Cremo really want to be the guy that replaces the Final 4 MVP? Thought he was going to Creighton or Kansas. Apparently a great shooter that fortifies our guard rotation, but IMO we needed a PF/C more assuming Omari is gone.
supernova
kayako

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue May 08, 2018 12:28 pm

kayako wrote:This one caught me off guard. Does Cremo really want to be the guy that replaces the Final 4 MVP? Thought he was going to Creighton or Kansas. Apparently a great shooter that fortifies our guard rotation, but IMO we needed a PF/C more assuming Omari is gone.

I think we're good in the front court.

Lead Guard Rotation - Booth, Gillepsie, JQ
Wing Rotation - (Booth), Cremo, Samuels, Slater, Swider
F/C Rotation - Paschall, DCR, Painter, (Swider)

In Jay's system I'd be shocked if a). you don't see a bunch of Paschall at the 5 (defensively). Making an opposing big have to guard the perimeter is a huge advantage; and/or b). Painter not having used the RS year to develop an outside shot. Between those 2 and DCR, we are more than fine upfront IMO. But on the wings losing Bridges and DD presents a void. Can the 2 frosh step in? Can Samuels develop after a shaky first year? Other than Booth you'd have 3 unproven guys to rely on for a style of play that relies heavily on strong wings (Hilliard, Hart, Bridges).
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Letsgonova » Tue May 08, 2018 5:44 pm

Swider is going to be a problem in our system. We can still have 4 shooters on the floor in any lineup configuration, and Swider and Cremo might actually be more dangerous from outside than DD and Bridges. We're going to score, the defense is the question. Lots of new faces to pick up Jay's system on D.
Letsgonova

Postby hortle » Tue May 08, 2018 8:16 pm

cremo can play, he'll do a lot of damage for nova. really would have loved for him to play at creighton, its hard to turn down a summons from jay wright
hortle

Postby Red Rooster » Thu May 17, 2018 9:56 am

NJRedman wrote:
hoyahooligan wrote:Will definitely finish ahead of St. Johns.

Oh we got ourselves a fortune teller in our midst! What else does your crystal ball tell you? Mine tells me that the Hoyas are going to once again have the softest of softest OOC schedules in the country.

Don't pay him any mind. I've eaten his lunch for the past few seasons.

They could possibly finish ahead of us without Ponds. If Ponds return, to go along with Simon, Dixon and Figueroa, then I don't think they'll finish ahead of us.

Word has it Dixon has looked the part while working out and practicing with the team this past season, and Figueroa was a top 100 player (ranked as high as #78 on Rivals) out of high school and showed as much by being named 1st team (D-1) JUCO All-American (the only freshman on the first team). He has an understanding of the game, based on what I've seen.

Keita will bring energy and hustle. I think he'll also do a reasonable job on the boards. Offensively, he's still a question mark, IMO. But, I've heard from a reliable source that he's certainly been working on it and has come a ways.

I'm not sure what the freshmen will bring outside of Greg Williams. Williams is well known for his defensive ability and athleticism. I'm sure he'll have his moments.

We'll have some depth next season, but will still be lacking in overall size. The depth, along with the experience and talent of the backcourt could soften the blow with the lack of size.

With Ponds: I think this could be a rather decent team and better than Georgetown. I think he also made his prediction before Derrickson announced he'd depart.

Without Ponds: We would show flashes here and there, but in the basement.

I'm also hearing Ponds is likely to return next season. But, we all know things of this nature can take a turn one way or another.
Red Rooster

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board