Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:12 pm

PAC12 has no where to add, but in the direction of Texas. They could get funky and add BYU football only and Gonzaga basketball.

If the Big Ten wants to add, they should probably be pulling from the ACC or even try to pull Mizzou if they are open/opposed to Texas joining the SEC.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Django » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:38 pm

So if UT and OU (SEC) and KU (B1G) bolt is ESPIN going to call the remaining B12 schools the “Pagan 7” :lol: ?
Django

Postby kayako » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:40 pm

You don't actually believe this, right?
supernova
kayako

Postby Django » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:03 pm

kayako wrote:

I do! It would be equivalent to Sherman burning Atlanta to the ground. Call it revenge of the rednecks.
Django

Postby Xudash » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:26 pm

kayako wrote:

Hell know I don’t believe it, but it makes for entertaining reading.

As has been stated, the B1G, as an organization, is more than just about football.

I am singularly focused on the NCAAT surviving all this “as-is”, or mostly as it is, such that the BE moves forward successfully.

I’ll mention this though, I would love to drag a school like Florida into the Horseshoe in November to play in a snowbowl game just once.

I believe we all would agree that Notre Dame used football to elevate itself as an institution. I was watching a documentary titled America In Color a week ago. It covered the early 20th century. It actually talked about the Ivy League having done the same thing in the early part of the century. The Ivy League was the power in college football at that time. It understood the benefit of successful football on contributions to its schools, too, and they obviously weren’t what they are now back then.

Think about that. Knute Rockne didn’t show up in South Bend as its head coach until 1918; about 100 years ago. As they say, the one thing that is constant is change. I believe we are still in for a lot of that. Let’s hope we’re OK as a result of it.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:17 pm

A few points...

The B12 is gonna take some hits, regardless of what transpires.

1 - They need to stay calm and stay together (the remaining 8). Bring in either 2 (UH/SMU) or 4 new schools (texas, western US, or AAC),
under the B12 Banner. Rake in the penalty payments from OU/UT...$76-80M from each school. Will help weather the loss of TV revenues:
$9-10M for 2 years or $5M for 4 years.

2 - No other P5 is in any hurry to go to 16 teams. ACC has 15, B1G & PAC have 14. There is no rush to dilute their overall revenues
by adding more teams. Contracts renew in 2024 & 2025. None of the remaining B12 teams "move the needle" for Football.
KU is the worst footballer of the group - No gain in adding them (no one is gonna pay KU $50Mill just for hoops?) leave them in the B12
with their $5-14M/year.
3 - League will fall to G5 status without any top football schools. B12=AAC2. They are gonna take prestige and money hits. Baylor is the top
remaining performer at #30 top sports u overall. TV revenues should drop to AAC levels - to $5-14M/year (football & basketball)
losing 60-80% of current tv revenues. Current revs are $35M/yr. Football drives 80% of revenues-hoops 20%. No major football teams,
no major money.

The Athletic: Article - https://theathletic.com/2726815/2021/07 ... directed=1

This article states that Mike Aresco and the AAC should (and Will) attempt to raid the B12 for 5 teams, to get to 16. (rather than the other way around) Aresco is demanding a seat
at the Bigboy table and thinks in adding some B12 leftovers, he can make the case for the AAC.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby MUPanther » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:17 pm

Jet915 wrote:
Xudash wrote:It gets more interesting - probably not surprising:

Ticker on NBC reporting that the PAC12 "is open to listening about expansion"; commissioner stating "we would be foolish not to listen".

Will all those surfer dudes enjoy their trips to Waco and Stillwater?

Pac 12 is filled with liberal academic institutions. I have a hard time believing they will accept conservative religious schools.

I agree with you. Yet, 10 years ago it almost happened.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:24 pm

AAC to go after Big 12 schools.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... er-report/

Reports are ESPN was also behind in getting Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC. Remember the new SEC deal starts in 2024. All with ABC/ESPN. AAC just started a 12 years deal with ESPN. Big 12 TV contract is done in 2025.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:49 pm

MUPanther wrote:AAC to go after Big 12 schools.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... er-report/

Reports are ESPN was also behind in getting Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC. Remember the new SEC deal starts in 2024. All with ABC/ESPN. AAC just started a 12 years deal with ESPN. Big 12 TV contract is done in 2025.

I cannot imagine a world where a Big 12 team still due to make major TV and breakup cash from OU and Texas would voluntarily leave for the AAC.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby TBC Alum » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:48 am

Pure conjecture, but what if the remaining members of the B12 stayed together and "brought in" the AAC? AAC gets their members and B12 keeps the $$
CU clap clap CU
TBC Alum

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board