The Case for Dayton

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The Case for Dayton

Postby marquette » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:47 am

augkash wrote:Are you guys happy or upset that Dayton has made it this far? I know some ud fans suck. But its great a private Catholic school has made it this far

Definitely happy for the school, players, and the good fans who post here.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:54 am

I love how folks are saying here the Big Ten is overrated. I don't know if you can say that given it's VERY possible, if not likely, they could wind up with 3 elite 8 schools. And have to say it's very possible they could have 3 final 4 teams. Wisconsin over Arizona- very possible. Michigan St in the east- over UVA, UConn, Iowa St- very possible. Michigan over Kentucky,Louisville, Tennessee in the MW- wouldn't be a surprise.

Butler to me is a concern. Last year in the A10 they struggled the 2nd half of the year in their 1st year in the A10. Went 11-7 2nd half, but with 5 wins over the bottom teams in the A10. Got taken behind the woodshed vs SLU and VCU. Then this year. In 2 years since moving out of the Horizon, Butler has 2 wins over NCAA tourney teams in conference play- Temple and La Salle last year. Since the 2 final game appearances, they have 8 wins total against NCAA tourney teams- in last 3 years.
stever20

Postby marquette » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:54 am

HoosierPal wrote:I can say this because I am a Butler fan. How many of you aren't at least thinking, "Wow, why didn't Dayton get the invite last year rather than Butler?"

There is a lot more to consider than what is happening in this tournament. It's like saying "after this season, how many of you would rather have Stephen F. Austin than Marquette?"
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby HoosierPal » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:08 am

FDS wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:I can say this because I am a Butler fan. How many of you aren't at least thinking, "Wow, why didn't Dayton get the invite last year rather than Butler?"

You claim to be a Butler fan on here but you are more of a Butler troll. Nobody is thinking that... Go back to supporting your Hoosiers. You are really misrepresenting Butler fans.

And you have a good day too.
HoosierPal

Postby BillikensWin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:07 am

Bill Marsh wrote:
BillikensWin wrote:
Institutional fit isn't going to sell tickets and. It isn't. Going to move the needle on TV ratings.

Well, the precious recruiting rankings have this SLU class rated higher than those that got SLU where it is, so your claim that it will be longer than maybe next year is wrong. Keep in mind that all 5 starters for the 3 years SLU went to the tournament were 2 star recruits. I know you think SLU is shit...but you're wrong again. That is what SLU in the Majerus/post-Majerus era has done...prove people wrong.

Sure . . .

The rest of the league is building around 4 and 5 star recruits but Crews is such an astute recruiter and masterful coach that he'll do more than less. Crews is clearly superior to the hacks who coach the other teams around the Big East, who are proven failures who can't win no matter how much talent you give them.

You really have no clue, do you? Just an irrational hatred for a history that's gone away.

How'd those 5 star recruits do at Kentucky last year?

Better yet, how many Big East teams finished ahead of Saint Louis this season?
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby SJHooper » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:26 am

"Better yet, how many Big East teams finished ahead of Saint Louis this season?"

None, because STL doesn't play in a major conference. I never even knew STL existed as a college basketball team until a few years ago. Aren't all your studs leaving after this year? Congrats that you had a good 1 year. Anyone can have 1 good year when low recruits turn out to be monsters. It's the rare exception and not the rule. I'll make a bet with you though...I bet STL falls off the face of the earth while Big East powers reload and get back to the top 25 consistently.
SJHooper

Postby BillikensWin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:30 am

SJHooper wrote:"Better yet, how many Big East teams finished ahead of Saint Louis this season?"

None, because STL doesn't play in a major conference. I never even knew STL existed as a college basketball team until a few years ago. Aren't all your studs leaving after this year? Congrats that you had a good 1 year. Anyone can have 1 good year when low recruits turn out to be monsters. It's the rare exception and not the rule. I'll make a bet with you though...I bet STL falls off the face of the earth while Big East powers reload and get back to the top 25 consistently.

I'll take it every day and twice on Sunday. Marquette and G'Town will probably be back, but that's good for the Big East.

I'm not in the least bid worried.
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby BuckyBilliken » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:18 pm

BillikensWin wrote:
SJHooper wrote:"Better yet, how many Big East teams finished ahead of Saint Louis this season?"

I'll take it every day and twice on Sunday. Marquette and G'Town will probably be back, but that's good for the Big East.

I don't see Marquette coming back for a while...
BuckyBilliken

Postby Chalmers0 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:22 pm

I haven't read through most of the thread, and don't want to waste my time since I can kind of guess how most of it has gone.

Obviously I am a Xavier fan. I don't really enjoy anything about Dayton (except for beating them every time they come to Cincinnati). I absolutely can't stand most of their delusional fans, some of which have already started visiting here. That being said, I would have no problem at all if the Big East brought them in. While the fan base is beyond annoying, they are passionate and that at least counts for something. More eyeballs wouldn't hurt FS1 and their fans also travel extremely well, which would be big for keeping the tourney at MSG. Also, with this tourney run, especially if they can beat Florida, they may end up with some name recognition nationally (which they have always claimed to have, but now that may actually have some reality to it) which honestly wouldn't hurt the conference right now either.

I don't think I want the Big East to expand so in no way am I campaigning for us to invite Dayton, but if expansion is on the horizon, I honestly can't come up with better options.
Chalmers0

Postby Jet915 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:41 pm

BuckyBilliken wrote:
BillikensWin wrote:

I don't see Marquette coming back for a while...

Not surprising coming from someoned named Bucky.
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board