Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby Jet915 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:19 pm

stever20 wrote:the concept though is it might be available in however many homes, but in order to get it you have to have a high level package. I'd venture a guess that in a majority of the basic packages, Speed Network wasn't available. ESPN is in 110 million homes or whatever- and on basic packages.

Also, this will apply for those that travel. A lot of the hotels won't have FS1 quite frankly.

Those numbers are based on subscribers NOT availability. Just like the BS the AAC was saying with CBS sports network being AVAILABLE in 80 million homes when in reality, they only have 40 million SUBSCRIBERS.
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby dmac80 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:58 pm

stever20 wrote:the concept though is it might be available in however many homes, but in order to get it you have to have a high level package. I'd venture a guess that in a majority of the basic packages, Speed Network wasn't available. ESPN is in 110 million homes or whatever- and on basic packages.

Your guess is wrong, at least for Verizion FIOS and from what I remember comcast. They put ESPN on the 2nd tier as a lure to get people to order more than basic, which almost every customer does. For FIOS FS1 and ESPN are available on the same 2nd tier.

I also read ESPN was in 98 M homes not 110, and FS1 in 90M.
Let's Go FRIARS!
dmac80

Postby MUSeashells&Balloons » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:05 pm

bmorex wrote:Does anyone else know if their school's campuses "supply" FS1 as part of their basic package? Although minor, I definitely think all Big East students should be able to watch their conference's basketball games.

Xavier residence halls have Cincinnati Fioptics, which does have FS1 in its package.

Marquette just got FS1 in the dorms today.

@muathletics: Good news for @MarquetteU students, @FOXSports1 is now available in campus residence halls. Channel 122. #mubb #muwbb

Whats weird to me is when i lived in the dorms not to long ago the highest channel was like 26 aside from the campus channel which was like 65 or something. So I doubt students will know they even have the channel, but at least now they do.

So add 11,000 people to that 90 million!!
Coach Al Mcguire:
"I like seashells and balloons, ribbons and medals, bare feet and wet grass."
"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."
"Queen of victory, pray for us."
MUSeashells&Balloons

Postby TheDon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:26 pm

FS1 ratings for the first month are unimpressive. Hopefully they can get things going so there are eyes on the network when we launch on Oct 25.
TheDon

Postby marquette » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:41 pm

TheDon wrote:FS1 ratings for the first month are unimpressive. Hopefully they can get things going so there are eyes on the network when we launch on Oct 25.

I think part of the problem is that they have only had niche sports on the network so far. Generally not even very impressive ones. When the UFC put Chael Sonnen on a Saturday FS1 show, they drew very well. When they did a substandard Wednesday fight night, the drew poorly. I have no idea what is considered a big show for NASCAR, or how those ratings have looked, but the fanbases are similar in size. I would assume that the Big 12, once the season gets going, will draw fairly well. I would also assume the Big East will do it's fair share. Overall, with each new fanbase tuning in the network will gain more exposure. It may not be happening at the pace they wanted but the number of eyeballs will grow over time.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby stever20 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:20 pm

The problem with FS1 with the football is they haven't had many great games at all projected going in...
Utah St/Utah
North Dakota St/Kansas St
William & Mary/West Virginia
Nichols St/Oregon
Boise/Washington
FAU/ECU
Oklahoma St/UTSA
La-Lafayette/Kansas St
Washington St/USC
Tulane/La Tech
Va Tech/ECU
Iowa/Iowa St
Oregon St/Utah

how many of those were great matchups? No ranked games.

This weekend they get La Tech/Kansas and La-Monroe/Baylor. Yipes!!!!
next weekend
Iowa St/Tulsa on Thu night
SMU/TCU and La Tech/Army on Saturday

Hope they get some better games on because those aren't that good at all.
stever20

Postby Jet915 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:51 pm

TheDon wrote:FS1 ratings for the first month are unimpressive. Hopefully they can get things going so there are eyes on the network when we launch on Oct 25.

They aren't great but what are you really expecting? The ratings are better than ESPNU and NBC Sports Network and worse than ESPN and ESPN2. Does that really surprise you? Doesn't surprise me. It will take a few years before FS1 is comparable to ESPN2.

I agree about the games, they kind of suck. Usually a BCS team versus and shitty G5 team or DII team. That's not going to get ratings. The problem is Fox is putting their premiere game on the main FOX network like Ohio State vs. Cal and this week ASU vs. Stanford. Not sure if there is some contractual agreement to put the best game on the main network but if those were on FS1, they would get better ratings for sure.
Jet915

Postby HoosierPal » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:03 pm

Jet915 wrote:
TheDon wrote: The problem is Fox is putting their premiere game on the main FOX network like Ohio State vs. Cal and this week ASU vs. Stanford. Not sure if there is some contractual agreement to put the best game on the main network but if those were on FS1, they would get better ratings for sure.

More homes get the main Fox Channel then FS1, hence put your best games on the biggest channel.
HoosierPal

Postby dmac80 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:31 pm

Jet915 wrote:

They aren't great but what are you really expecting? The ratings are better than ESPNU and NBC Sports Network and worse than ESPN and ESPN2. Does that really surprise you? Doesn't surprise me. It will take a few years before FS1 is comparable to ESPN2.

This. Guys, we're locked into a very favorable 12 year deal with almost very single game of every team on FS1.....even if the rating is a 0.1 that's 100,000 pairs of eyes watching your team that weren't before....how many people aside from die hards bothered to stream via ESPN3?

That ratings will come. I Promise that Fox will make it big.
Let's Go FRIARS!
dmac80

Postby Jet915 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:53 pm

Fox Sports 1 Report Card after 1 month.

http://www.thewrap.com/fox-sports-1-exec-very-pleased-espn-not-worried/

Ratings for last week. Nice week over week gain. Better than ESPNU, NBC Sports Network, worse than ESPN and ESPN2.

http://sonofthebronx.blogspot.com/2013/09/nbc-sports-network-nbcsn-fox-sports-1_20.html

FS1 powers through first month.

http://www.adweek.com/news/television/fox-sports-1-powers-through-its-first-month-152555
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board