Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:36 pm

Boyee wrote:If the Big East Conference were to go to 12 I think they'd add Saint Louis University and the University of Dayton or Saint Joseph's University.

SLU is a dumpster fire right now.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby herodotus » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:45 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
Boyee wrote:If the Big East Conference were to go to 12 I think they'd add Saint Louis University and the University of Dayton or Saint Joseph's University.

SLU is a dumpster fire right now.

St. Joe's will never get into the BE.
herodotus

Postby Xudash » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:59 pm

DudeAnon wrote:2 of our possible expansion (Dayton and Slu) candidates just put up an exhilarating 14 - 19 half.

Did you type this correctly? That can't be right.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby marquette » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:09 pm

Xudash wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:2 of our possible expansion (Dayton and Slu) candidates just put up an exhilarating 14 - 19 half.

Did you type this correctly? That can't be right.

It was a back-and-forth half. SLU took the early lead with two touchdowns only to see Dayton come roaring back with not only two touchdowns, but two two-point conversions as well. They finished out with a field goal as time expired in the half.

In all seriousness, though, game ended 49-52 after OVERTIME. Dayton has been playing terribly their last five games. SLU is absolute garbage again this year. I hope they dump Crews the minute they walk off the court at the A10 tournament.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby ChicagoX » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:29 pm

marquette wrote:SLU is absolute garbage again this year. I hope they dump Crews the minute they walk off the court at the A10 tournament.

It's too bad that Crews has tanked the program as badly as he has. Majerus had built a solid program that was a competitive top 30 team almost every year. I think they had advanced to the round of 32 three straight years before Crews did what he does best...completely wreck a college basketball program. SLU has great facilities and is an ideal market for a potential expansion team, but Crews has really put them behind the eight-ball with his inability to recruit and coach. He needs to be fired immediately, and hiring a solid coach who can turn that program around should be of utmost importance to that program.
ChicagoX

Postby UD Flyer Fanatic » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:31 pm

Worst game I've seen Dayton play in years. Could barely watch it. Our 2 best players Pierre and Cooke combined 3-19, bench outscored 23-9. Yet we won- but that won't happen again. Hoping this is a dry spell and that we find our mojo for the tournament. Otherwise it will be one and done.
UD Flyer Fanatic

Postby Xudash » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:39 pm

Coaching transitions aren't discussed here enough when it comes to this topic.

That article I copied in the new thread about the return of Catholic basketball - no disrespect to Butler; it had nice things to say about Butler in the BE - mentioned as much, noting how a B1G program could weather the problem of selecting a coach who doesn't work out better than smaller private schools who run into the same outcome.

SLU is a great example. Great school, great facilities and solid, non-redundant television market. But look at the free fall from Majerus to Crews.

Yes, we all run the same risk, but, except for DePaul and perhaps SHU if Williard doesn't turn it around this year or quickly, we're in good shape on the coaching front - - I"ll give JTIII one last pass on this topic.

What if two are added and their wheels fall off? Why do that?
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby stever20 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:40 pm

marquette wrote:
stever20 wrote:What I'm saying about the AAC this year is it's winding up to be a pretty decent year- despite all those close losses. League will probably get for sure 2 teams, and a real shot at 3- with an outside shot at 4. There is nothing hypothetical about that at all....

And this crap about moving goalposts. In a sport that is judged subjectively, it happens. Take Seton Hall. They beat PC back on 1/16. Then it was a profound win. Now, it's a good win, but it's lost a lot of steam since then.... Seton Hall's goal posts HAVE moved in that time because PC has struggled since then. Folks want to act like if a team was great back on 1/16, the win should carry the same amount of weight that it would have back on 1/16. That just doesn't happen.

The hypotheticals in question were AAC winning games they didn't and removing SMU from conference RPI, which I can see the point of since they (1) Cheated to become as good as they, no different from using steroids, and (2) aren't eligible for the postseason. I have no interest in arguing AAC strength with you as I've stated numerous times. Simply not worth my time. My post was about irony.

Since when has anyone even remotely suggested to remove a team from probation from the conferences stats? NEVER. You aren't punishing the conference, you are punishing the school..... Show me even 1 national columnist that says that SMU should be removed from the conference stats. I don't think you can find one. And yes, wins vs SMU are going to help UConn, Tulsa, and Temple- and quite possibly Cincy. It's not going to be tarnished in the committee's eyes at all because it's SMU. I know that ticks folks off here with that fact- but it is what the reality of the situation is.
stever20

Postby Xudash » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:44 pm

stever20 wrote:
marquette wrote:
stever20 wrote:What I'm saying about the AAC this year is it's winding up to be a pretty decent year- despite all those close losses. League will probably get for sure 2 teams, and a real shot at 3- with an outside shot at 4. There is nothing hypothetical about that at all....

And this crap about moving goalposts. In a sport that is judged subjectively, it happens. Take Seton Hall. They beat PC back on 1/16. Then it was a profound win. Now, it's a good win, but it's lost a lot of steam since then.... Seton Hall's goal posts HAVE moved in that time because PC has struggled since then. Folks want to act like if a team was great back on 1/16, the win should carry the same amount of weight that it would have back on 1/16. That just doesn't happen.

The hypotheticals in question were AAC winning games they didn't and removing SMU from conference RPI, which I can see the point of since they (1) Cheated to become as good as they, no different from using steroids, and (2) aren't eligible for the postseason. I have no interest in arguing AAC strength with you as I've stated numerous times. Simply not worth my time. My post was about irony.

Since when has anyone even remotely suggested to remove a team from probation from the conferences stats? NEVER. You aren't punishing the conference, you are punishing the school..... Show me even 1 national columnist that says that SMU should be removed from the conference stats. I don't think you can find one. And yes, wins vs SMU are going to help UConn, Tulsa, and Temple- and quite possibly Cincy. It's not going to be tarnished in the committee's eyes at all because it's SMU. I know that ticks folks off here with that fact- but it is what the reality of the situation is.

Show me a post that evidences your primary allegiance to and concern for Georgetown.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby stever20 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:46 pm

Xudash wrote:Coaching transitions aren't discussed here enough when it comes to this topic.

That article I copied in the new thread about the return of Catholic basketball - no disrespect to Butler; it had nice things to say about Butler in the BE - mentioned as much, noting how a B1G program could weather the problem of selecting a coach who doesn't work out better than smaller private schools who run into the same outcome.

SLU is a great example. Great school, great facilities and solid, non-redundant television market. But look at the free fall from Majerus to Crews.

Yes, we all run the same risk, but, except for DePaul and perhaps SHU if Williard doesn't turn it around this year or quickly, we're in good shape on the coaching front - - I"ll give JTIII one last pass on this topic.

What if two are added and their wheels fall off? Why do that?

Butler's actually a great example. If Miller hadn't had his mental health episode, and he had stuck around Butler a 2nd or 3rd year, the damage he could have done could have taken years to recover from. But normally a good program from like the Big Ten who hired a poor coach would when they got rid of him recover much quicker.....
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board