Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby stever20 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:24 pm

marquette wrote:
stever20 wrote:The thing is, we don't know that SMU will fall back to being awful. Next year they sure won't. Just looking at KP- over 60% of the time right now they're using only 2 seniors on the floor at the same time. Frankly, Tulsa is the team that will collapse next year.....

And why can't we use SMU in the conference strength discussion? Because you don't like it? Sorry- but when the media and committee looks at the AAC, they see SMU. This year the AAC and A10 are right about the same in RPI, with the AAC pretty far ahead in KP. You ask the media about the 2 conferences- and they would say they're pretty darn close to the same.

Stever with a firm "NO HYPOTHETICALS!" I can respect that.

stever20 wrote:But the thing is, until that happens, it's going to be a good conference. You say every school is positioning itself for the next go around. What does that mean? To be the best they can possibly be right now. So until they do get pulled apart(or if)- they're going to be a conference that a year like this will be their normal I think. Heck, I don't think folks realize just how close they were to being even better than this.....
Temple- 3 OOC losses by 6 points or less
Tulsa- 3 OOC losses by 5 points or less
Cincy- 2 OOC losses by 2 points each
UConn- 2 OOC losses by 3 points each

If(and I know that's a big word) they had those, the conference would be a near lock for 4 spots in the tourney this year right now.

Wait a minute...

What I'm saying about the AAC this year is it's winding up to be a pretty decent year- despite all those close losses. League will probably get for sure 2 teams, and a real shot at 3- with an outside shot at 4. There is nothing hypothetical about that at all....

And this crap about moving goalposts. In a sport that is judged subjectively, it happens. Take Seton Hall. They beat PC back on 1/16. Then it was a profound win. Now, it's a good win, but it's lost a lot of steam since then.... Seton Hall's goal posts HAVE moved in that time because PC has struggled since then. Folks want to act like if a team was great back on 1/16, the win should carry the same amount of weight that it would have back on 1/16. That just doesn't happen.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:35 pm

Slightly off topic but sad nonetheless.....

Dan Wetzel
15h15 hours ago
Dan Wetzel ‏@DanWetzel
Boston College in ACC play this year: Basketball is 0-15, Football went 0-8. The old Big East never looked so good.
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:40 pm

Jet915 wrote:Slightly off topic but sad nonetheless.....

Dan Wetzel
15h15 hours ago
Dan Wetzel ‏@DanWetzel
Boston College in ACC play this year: Basketball is 0-15, Football went 0-8. The old Big East never looked so good.

and the best part of their football team- their Defensive Coordinator- got plucked by Michigan.....
stever20

Postby notkirkcameron » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:48 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote: It's a huge reason why there was such animosity among fans on the other board (and why we started a new board here) when they were finally invited to the Big East, only to see that dream taken away.

Memphis Tigers
Temple Owls
UCF Knights
Houston Cougars
SMU Mustangs
Tulane Green Wave
East Carolina PIrates
TCU Horned Frogs
Boise State Football
San Diego State Football

NEVER LOST A BIG EAST GAME, WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Al McGuire: "What is this?"
Waiter: "Mr. McGuire, that is a cull lobster. Sometimes when the lobsters are in the tank, they fight. This one lost a claw."
Al McGuire: "Well then take this one away and bring me the winner."
notkirkcameron

Postby Westbrook#36 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:53 pm

stever20 wrote:And this crap about moving goalposts. In a sport that is judged subjectively, it happens.

That's not what you do though. You selectively apply a certain criteria when BE teams, but then magically that criteria changes(often doing a 180) when it comes to teams in the AAC. And before you response, YES YOU DO, we have 3 years and over 5700 posts of empirical evidence to this FACT. Response or not, you probably will because you need to have the last word in these matters, but it doesn't change the fact that you're a dishonest, disingenuous AAC homer.
Westbrook#36

Postby stever20 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:59 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:
stever20 wrote:And this crap about moving goalposts. In a sport that is judged subjectively, it happens.

That's not what you do though. You selectively apply a certain criteria when BE teams, but then magically that criteria changes(often doing a 180) when it comes to teams in the AAC. And before you response, YES YOU DO, we have 3 years and over 5700 posts of empirical evidence to this FACT. Response or not, you probably will because you need to have the last word in these matters, but it doesn't change the fact that you're a dishonest, disingenuous AAC homer.

show me 1 time where you say I moved the goalpost..... just 1.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:36 pm

stever20 wrote:
Westbrook#36 wrote:

show me 1 time where you say I moved the goalpost..... just 1.

So many to choose from, but, ok, I'll start:

Recruiting.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:44 pm

recruiting- I've all along said that recruiting would be measured not off the 1st year but moreso down the road. In years where the majority of the recruiting is where everything was known. 2013 and 2014 classes were great-but in terms of measuring the Big East stature- the 2015 and 16 classes(and beyond) means much more. The fact that this years classes with 5 in the top 40 means LIGHTYEARS more than how we did in 2013 and 2014. Are there still worries? Sure. It'd be great to pull in classes like the 2014 year all the time. But with the guys that BE schools recruit normally staying longer, doesn't have to be all the time- but needs to be some of the time.
stever20

Postby Boyee » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:05 pm

If the Big East Conference were to go to 12 I think they'd add Saint Louis University and the University of Dayton or Saint Joseph's University.
Boyee, DePaul University Alumnus
Boyee

Postby marquette » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:36 pm

stever20 wrote:What I'm saying about the AAC this year is it's winding up to be a pretty decent year- despite all those close losses. League will probably get for sure 2 teams, and a real shot at 3- with an outside shot at 4. There is nothing hypothetical about that at all....

And this crap about moving goalposts. In a sport that is judged subjectively, it happens. Take Seton Hall. They beat PC back on 1/16. Then it was a profound win. Now, it's a good win, but it's lost a lot of steam since then.... Seton Hall's goal posts HAVE moved in that time because PC has struggled since then. Folks want to act like if a team was great back on 1/16, the win should carry the same amount of weight that it would have back on 1/16. That just doesn't happen.

The hypotheticals in question were AAC winning games they didn't and removing SMU from conference RPI, which I can see the point of since they (1) Cheated to become as good as they, no different from using steroids, and (2) aren't eligible for the postseason. I have no interest in arguing AAC strength with you as I've stated numerous times. Simply not worth my time. My post was about irony.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board