Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby notkirkcameron » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:52 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Personally, I'd be happy for the Bearcats. They did more than enough to show they belonged from 2005-2012, and were, unfortunately, passed over in 2013.

Cincinnati basketball failed to make the NCAA Tournament 5 out of 8 seasons in the Superconference Big East. In league play, they finished higher than 6th only once (finishing 4th in 2012), and finished 8th or lower six times, including two 10ths, an 11th, and a 16th.

Cincinnati football fared better in the Superconference, but it didn't count for much. Cincinnati won at least a share of the Big East title 4 times in 5 seasons. This got Cincinnati into two BCS bowls (2009 Orange and 2010 Sugar) where they were promptly waxed by a 71-31 combined score (Lost Orange Bowl 20-7 vs. Virginia Tech. Lost Sugar Bowl 51-24 to Florida).

More recently, since beating Duke in the 2012 Belk Bowl, Cincinnati has lost their last 3 bowl games by an average of more than 3 touchdowns and a field goal (Lost 2013 Belk Bowl 39-17. Lost 2014 Military Bowl 33-17. Lost 2015 Hawaii Bowl 42-7).
Al McGuire: "What is this?"
Waiter: "Mr. McGuire, that is a cull lobster. Sometimes when the lobsters are in the tank, they fight. This one lost a claw."
Al McGuire: "Well then take this one away and bring me the winner."
notkirkcameron

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby RRR » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:41 am

So VCU fan's perspective- I think you take Dayton, VCU, and UR. You would have two major rivalries on a national scale. Quite simply XU-UD and VCU-UR don't like each other. Nothing creates viewer interest like fanbase hatred and local pride. The year after VCU loses Shaka it is fighting for first place despite shake up on the roster and loss of recruits. People forget VCU has survived and thrived from coaching changes. In fact Wade has shown his ability to adjust better than Shaka. Give him a year or two for his great recruiting classes to come in. The new practice facility shows VCU's commitment to quality basketball. UR has great facilities but maybe a coaching change is needed. Dayton has a huge following and will not be falling off anytime soon.

People talk as though teams never go through coaching changes. That doesn't necessarily mean doom. Sometimes you get a fresh perspective and new ideas. We replaced Shaka with a coach of the year and former assistant coach. Our defense has drastically improved and we've cut down on easy buckets we use to suffer with Shaka's pressing scheme. Maybe UR gets a young upcoming coach who gets the fans back in the arena and turns the program around. If Miller leaves UD maybe they keep at the same pace with a new guy. Butler loss Brad and it maybe have been for the better as Butler got manhandled by quite a few teams in the A10 under Stevens. You can play negative IFs and positive IFs.

If you go cut throat and go for markets VCU would go over UR. Not bias just honest. VCU dominates the rivalry and the media over UR. The school is just more intertwined in the city of Richmond. Not to mention VCU is constantly expanding in Richmond. Casual fans go to VCU games when available (82 straight sellout since 2010.). The governor,senators,etc go to VCU games. They just relate more to them. I don't know about St Louis as market target though. That program has really dropped off and is not recovering anytime soon. A new coach and better recruits are just a few things that need to change there.
RRR

Postby DudeAnon » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:23 am

As much as it pains me to say this, I think Dayton is becoming a no-brainer. Even if Archie leaves they still have great fan support. I think VCU is the next logical pick but my only question would be what happens if VCU has some down year, does the fanbase stay as good as it is now?
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby anXUfan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:31 am

I don't think there are any no-brainers. Especially given that I see no strong reasons to expand at all.

This is the song that never ends…
anXUfan

Postby BEX » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:59 am

RRR wrote:Butler loss Brad and it maybe have been for the better as Butler got manhandled by quite a few teams in the A10 under Stevens.

Yeah, they beat UD twice, Gonzaga, Temple, split with X, went 11-5 in conf and went to the A-10 semifinal, then on to the dance where they lost in the 3rd round to Marquette by a basket. Tough year with 27 wins.
Last edited by BEX on Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
BEX

Postby admin » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:14 am

anXUfan wrote:I don't think there are any no-brainers. Especially given that I see no strong reasons to expand at all.

I agree. I typically enjoy discussion about realignment but the Big East is well positioned in comparison to our peers - perfect 10 team setup, two Top 5 teams and multiple others in contention for NCAA bids. I really can't think of a reason why the President's would consider doing anything at this point.
admin
Site Admin

Postby BEX » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:25 am

admin wrote:
anXUfan wrote:I don't think there are any no-brainers. Especially given that I see no strong reasons to expand at all.

I agree. I typically enjoy discussion about realignment but the Big East is well positioned in comparison to our peers - perfect 10 team setup, two Top 5 teams and multiple others in contention for NCAA bids. I really can't think of a reason why the President's would consider doing anything at this point.

This is the time of year we hear everybody in other conferences bitching about their "unbalanced" schedules when they discover they can't make the dance with the teams left to play. Not a problem in the BE. We play everybody 2x. UD plays cupcakes the entire conference schedule and plays the top teams once and every other year @ home.
BEX

Postby stever20 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:30 am

BEX wrote:
RRR wrote:Butler loss Brad and it maybe have been for the better as Butler got manhandled by quite a few teams in the A10 under Stevens.

Yeah, they beat UD twice, Gonzaga, Temple, split with X, went 11-5 in conf and went to the A-10 semifinal, then on to the dance where they lost in the 3rd round to Marquette by a basket. Tough year.

true- but of the teams that made the tourney that season from the A10- SLU, VCU, La Salle, Temple- they went 2-6. 4 double digit losses. So it wasn't a great season necessarily. They were 11-5 due to the scheduling- not because they were necessarily great.

I do think it's pretty moronic though to say that Butler losing Stevens was a good thing. I don't think for a second the 1st year in the BE would have been anywhere near as bad if Stevens was around. 8 losses by 6 points or less. They finished 14-17. If they get half of those losses, they are 18-13. Not tourney bound because the OOC schedule wasn't great, but still would have been a much more solid 1st year.
stever20

Postby BEX » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:42 am

Yep, losing your 2x FF coach is seldom "for the better".
BEX

Postby gosports1 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:58 pm

I'm not trying to stir things up, but why wasn't Dayton included in the newly formed CUSA? Were they the only ones leftout from the Great Midwest(was that the old name?) I remember, barely, when cusa was formed and thought it was odd Dayton was left out
gosports1

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board