Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby Westbrook#36 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:12 am

stever, stop making disingenuous arguments(yes you are). All broadcast networks(ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) > ESPN ... end of story. Espn as huge as it is, only reaches just over 80% of US households, while if you have a TV you get all the big 4 broadcast networks you don't even need cable or Directv. If Espn is no different than Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC then why doesn't Disney put the Super Bowl or NBA Finals(when they have them) on Espn instead of ABC? Because they want maximum reach. If you're at a bar on the weekend afternoon/evening and someone goes channel surfing for sports, everyone I've seen and known always starts with the broadcast networks then works their way down to Espn, FS1, etc. Sorry, that's the truth.
Westbrook#36

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:23 am

Westbrook#36 wrote:stever, stop making disingenuous arguments(yes you are). All broadcast networks(ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) > ESPN ... end of story. Espn as huge as it is, only reaches just over 80% of US households, while if you have a TV you get all the big 4 broadcast networks you don't even need cable or Directv. If Espn is no different than Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC then why doesn't Disney put the Super Bowl or NBA Finals(when they have them) on Espn instead of ABC? Because they want maximum reach. If you're at a bar on the weekend afternoon/evening and someone goes channel surfing for sports, everyone I've seen and known always starts with the broadcast networks then works their way down to Espn, FS1, etc. Sorry, that's the truth.

They put the College football championship on ESPN. And you know what. That's the 2nd biggest sporting event of the year now, only to the NFL. It's bigger than the NBA. MLB. NHL.

Most bars I go to they go ESPN first then networks.

And you are bringing up pro sports. College Basketball is by far the weakest network sport of any of them. Do I need to remind you that the TITLE game for college hoops will be on Turner this upcoming year and not CBS? Final 4 has been on Turner already.
stever20

Postby NovaGrad12 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:11 pm

stever20 wrote:
They put the College football championship on ESPN. And you know what. That's the 2nd biggest sporting event of the year now, only to the NFL. It's bigger than the NBA. MLB. NHL.

And you are bringing up pro sports. College Basketball is by far the weakest network sport of any of them. Do I need to remind you that the TITLE game for college hoops will be on Turner this upcoming year and not CBS? Final 4 has been on Turner already.

Do I need to remind you that CBS sports and Turner sports are separate entities and entered a partnership with the NCAA that established an alternating schedule for the championship game? You're trying to skew it as if CBS didn't want to air the championship game because college basketball isn't enough of a draw. And once again you're dead wrong. I'm looking forward to another asinine response from you since you always need to have the last word.
NovaGrad12

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:22 pm

NovaGrad12 wrote:
stever20 wrote:

Do I need to remind you that CBS sports and Turner sports are separate entities and entered a partnership with the NCAA that established an alternating schedule for the championship game? You're trying to skew it as if CBS didn't want to air the championship game because college basketball isn't enough of a draw. And once again you're dead wrong. I'm looking forward to another asinine response from you since you always need to have the last word.

They are separate entities but the fact remains that the title game will be on Cable and not Network.

So of the biggest 6 sports- NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, along with college football and college basketball- 1 is 100% on cable, another alternates now year by year cable/network, NHL is 50/50 cable/network. Only NFL, NBA, and MLB all have their final on network. And only NFL has all their playoffs on network.

There isn't a huge difference between network and cable- and that difference is diminishing every year.
stever20

Postby Westbrook#36 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:58 pm

I'd like to visit this fantasy world where stever lives. Does it have Unicorns and Leperchaun's also? Broadcast channels such as Fox(Abc, Cbs, Nbc) are in more households than Espn, this is an undeniable fact. Therefore, Fox > Espn.
Westbrook#36

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:34 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:I'd like to visit this fantasy world where stever lives. Does it have Unicorns and Leperchaun's also? Broadcast channels such as Fox(Abc, Cbs, Nbc) are in more households than Espn, this is an undeniable fact. Therefore, Fox > Espn.

If that's true- why are 7 of the top 8 college basketball games by ratings on ESPN and not network TV? Why are games like North Carolina vs Duke always on ESPN instead of network?

Also, Fox had 1 game over 2 million all last year. Duke/St John's. Fox didn't have another game over 1 million viewers all year long on Fox. ESPN and ESPN2 had 29 over 2 million. So the numbers just do not bare it out at all. What you are saying maybe should be the case, but should be the case and what actually is the case are 2 completely different things.
stever20

Postby marquette » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:37 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:I'd like to visit this fantasy world where stever lives. Does it have Unicorns and Leperchaun's also? Broadcast channels such as Fox(Abc, Cbs, Nbc) are in more households than Espn, this is an undeniable fact. Therefore, Fox > Espn.

Only P5 and SMU get unicorns and leprechauns.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Xudash » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:30 pm

Stever,

Which do you value more: attention or credibility?

You're certainly receiving a fair amount of attention, but you are creaming your credibility.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Westbrook#36 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:48 pm

stever20 wrote:If that's true- why are 7 of the top 8 college basketball games by ratings on ESPN and not network TV? Why are games like North Carolina vs Duke always on ESPN instead of network?

Maybe, because they televise like what? 20-25 times as many games as Fox or other broadcast networks? How many of those top rated games are weekday prime time games? No network is going to preempt their normal programming for college hoops during the week. Of course they're going to have most high rated games, due to many factors and confluence of events, like having so much more inventory than anyone else plus the ability to hype the living shit out of said games. BTW Duke/UNC games often make ABC appearances, on the weekend after football is over.

I never mentioned ratings, only reach, broadcast network appearances are much more coveted than Espn ones, because of overall reach, this is a fact. If your precious AAC has(or makes) a broadcast network appearance you wouldn't stop talking about it. But, because it's the BE you're downplaying it, oh it's not as good as an Espn or Espn2(Espnews, Espn echo, etc.) spot, ...typical stever shtick.

Go ahead have last word, you're just going to spin some more or move the goalposts again. We get it, in stever world the BE is screwed.
Westbrook#36

Postby stever20 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:20 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:
stever20 wrote:If that's true- why are 7 of the top 8 college basketball games by ratings on ESPN and not network TV? Why are games like North Carolina vs Duke always on ESPN instead of network?

Maybe, because they televise like what? 20-25 times as many games as Fox or other broadcast networks? Of course they're going to have most high rated games, due to many factors and confluence of events, like having so much more inventory than anyone else plus the ability to hype the living shit out of said games. I never mentioned ratings, only reach, broadcast network appearances are much more coveted than Espn ones, because of overall reach, this is a fact. If your precious AAC has(or makes) a broadcast network appearance you wouldn't stop talking about it. But, because it's the BE you're downplaying it, oh it's not as good as an Espn or Espn2(Espnews, Espn echo, etc.) spot, ...typical stever shtick.

Go ahead have last word, you're just going to spin some more or move the goalposts again. We get it, in stever world the BE is screwed.

If network games were so damn important, why hasn't Carolina/Duke been on broadcast TV pretty much EVER?

What you are saying may be true about why ESPN has 29 of the 43 games with 2 million. But it doesn't explain why ESPN had 7 of the top 8 games last year. If being network were so damn important, why does ESPN get those games instead of network? It's the games that drive the ratings, not the networks. The fact is, ESPN last year got 7 of the top 8 games. That should tell you something.....

And a large reason why games on Cable mean more than network quite frankly is the old Big East.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board