Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:01 pm

Wazzu and Oregon St have an agreement to join the WCC for the next two years in all sports. Non football league so I’m not sure who they’re playing in that.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:58 am

FSU has BOT meeting this AM where it is likely that they announce they are seeking to leave the ACC. Floodgates are about to open.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby ArmyVet » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:56 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:FSU has BOT meeting this AM where it is likely that they announce they are seeking to leave the ACC. Floodgates are about to open.

And here comes the lawsuit.
ArmyVet

Postby kayako » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:37 am

gtmoBlue wrote:
11 current members, plus the 3 ACC defectors equals a 14-team Big East. The BEast holds at 14.

Preferrably the ACC implosion happens within the next 1.5 years - in time for the new accessions to affect our upcoming Media Rights negotiations
in Summer of 2025.

I doubt FSU is able to escape from ACC, but even if ACC loses its best teams, the remaining teams would never give up on ACC assets + what will certainly be a huge windfall of exit fees. We don't see OSU and WSU in any rush to join a non-P4 conference, and that's without any exit fees.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:39 am

Omaha1 wrote:Wazzu and Oregon St have an agreement to join the WCC for the next two years in all sports. Non football league so I’m not sure who they’re playing in that.

Looks like Stu Jackson stole MWC's lunch.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:43 am

Vertigo wrote:looking towards the future, I predict Gonzaga to the BE, B12, or MWC before 2025. Val attended the Zags-UConn game so something could be brewing before the potential FOX/BE media contract renewal.

Rick Pitino wants no part of it, unless it's only for basketball. And I'm not sure if basketball-only is even allowed.

https://www.si.com/college/gonzaga/basketball/st-johns-coach-rick-pitino-not-in-favor-of-gonzaga-joining-big-east
supernova
kayako

Postby DeltaV » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:11 am

kayako wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:
11 current members, plus the 3 ACC defectors equals a 14-team Big East. The BEast holds at 14.

Preferrably the ACC implosion happens within the next 1.5 years - in time for the new accessions to affect our upcoming Media Rights negotiations
in Summer of 2025.

I doubt FSU is able to escape from ACC, but even if ACC loses its best teams, the remaining teams would never give up on ACC assets + what will certainly be a huge windfall of exit fees. We don't see OSU and WSU in any rush to join a non-P4 conference, and that's without any exit fees.

This. Even if all the relevant football programs get picked up by the BIG/SEC/B12, there is still enough value and name recognition in the remaining schools and conference that we're not getting anyone from the ACC. They'll pick up some other leftovers like Temple if they need numbers, probably make a pass at UConn, but they're not going to just disappear. Duke isn't going to join Big East, its more likely they'll see if Nova is willing to defect and entertain FBS football again.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby GreatDaneAttorney » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:25 pm

I wonder if there's a chance of a Big East / Big XII merger at some point. If the top ACC brands leave, I could easily Pitt, Louisville, BC, Syracuse moving to the Big XII. At that point, would the Big East want to simply merge with the Big XII as Olympic-only members?
GreatDaneAttorney

Postby DeltaV » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:57 am

GreatDaneAttorney wrote:I wonder if there's a chance of a Big East / Big XII merger at some point. If the top ACC brands leave, I could easily Pitt, Louisville, BC, Syracuse moving to the Big XII. At that point, would the Big East want to simply merge with the Big XII as Olympic-only members?

I've heard that proposed here, but with the Big 10, since we share more footprint with them, and they'd probably place greater value on MSG.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby EMT » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:32 pm

At some point, doesn't too few conferences eliminate too many storylines for TV and reduce the product for casual fans?

Instead of "and the 4 seed is the Big East champion Butler Bulldogs." it's the 4 seed is the Butler Bulldogs that finished 8th in the BigEast12 Gavitt Division.
EMT

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board