Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby DeltaV » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:18 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:
Wild times. There are several major realignment stories all happening at once. This makes 2011 look like a Disney picnic.

In the past, the big boys got to play king maker and invite new kids to the big boy table.

Now, the number of tables is getting cut from 5 to 3, and some of those big boys are getting really nervous about not getting a seat at those tables. Schools are going to get bloodthirsty, and we'll just sit back and enjoy the fight.

Are You Not Entertained?
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Xudash » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:37 pm

DeltaV wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:
Wild times. There are several major realignment stories all happening at once. This makes 2011 look like a Disney picnic.

In the past, the big boys got to play king maker and invite new kids to the big boy table.

Now, the number of tables is getting cut from 5 to 3, and some of those big boys are getting really nervous about not getting a seat at those tables. Schools are going to get bloodthirsty, and we'll just sit back and enjoy the fight.

Are You Not Entertained?

You beat me to it!

And yes, it is entertaining.

p.s. As long as the BE comes out on top/is fine.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby MUPanther » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:06 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Florida State's BOT had a Zoom today where he threated for FSU to leave the ACC if the financial disparity between the B1G/SEC and ACC aren't rectified. The long-rumored GOR has been utilized to handcuff the ACC together through 2036, but if rumors are accurate that FSU will argue that the contract terms agreed to were fraudulent, it is possible that it could be argued to get out of the GOR (especially if other schools, cough, cough, Clemson, would hop on board as well).

Don't count out the Big Ten and Fox being an arranger behind the scenes on all of this. The B1G has its new TV deal through Fox, CBS, NBC, FS1, B1GN, etc.). The multi-network (NFL) model desires lots of content at multiple windows. Unlike ESPN, who doesn't have available cash (heck, they didn't even want to pay the SEC for an added ninth game), Fox seems eager and willing to overtake ESPN as the leading provider of desired sports content. ESPN is in big trouble long-term, as leagues/conferences are recognizing that they can eliminate the middle-man.

I think Amazon will become the 4th member partner for the B1G. Someone has to pay for Washington, Oregon.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:08 am

Xudash wrote:
DeltaV wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:

Are You Not Entertained?

You beat me to it!

And yes, it is entertaining.

p.s. As long as the BE comes out on top/is fine.

Brent Yormark wants UConn. Yet, the schools don't other than WVU. Looks like UConn talk to the Big 12 has stopped. I do wonder how Val is doing in starting talks with Fox Sports.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby stever20 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:43 am

Jon Wilner who has been as pro-Pac 12 as anyone has a tweet out saying the future of the Pac 12 could be decided in the next 24-36 hours.

Normally I'd say that's a bit much, but here, I don't think so.
stever20

Postby Xudash » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:40 pm

MUPanther wrote:Brent Yormark wants UConn. Yet, the schools don't other than WVU. Looks like UConn talk to the Big 12 has stopped. I do wonder how Val is doing in starting talks with Fox Sports.

Do we believe this implies that Yormark has gained agreement from the media partner(s) that they are willing to pony up another $31mm for UCONN? That just doesn't seem likely.

Would it mean that Yormark has some form of a cocktail napkin sketched deal with UCONN to join the Big 12 on a "junior" or reduced all-sports basis? That would be tough on UCONN, given the $30mm exit fee to the Big East and its current AD operating losses.

Otherwise, I can see where the other members don't like the idea of leaving their oil patches and ranches for trips to New England.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Django » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:06 pm

Go read the boneyard and you’ll see in about five minutes that the UCONN fan base hates being in this “church league” with teams from Nebraska…

That’s fine white board locker room material for my Jays (scoreboard 6-1!!).

It also shows how insane they are about their putrid D2 football team. Absolutely the by far suckiest program in their short and pathetic little stint in the FBS, where they are like 125-230 all time and where like 50 of their wins are against Buffalo and UMASS, which they have a losing record against :lol:

Turn on an Okie State vs Texas Tech game and block out the bottom of the screen and 95% would guess it was the Bengals vs Falcons duh duh duh
Last edited by Django on Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Django

Postby adoraz » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:17 pm

The Realignment board on Boneyard doesn't represent the average UConn fan. Most enjoy being in the Big East but would reluctantly go along with a Big 12 invite due to the money and football aspect.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:03 pm

adoraz wrote:The Realignment board on Boneyard doesn't represent the average UConn fan. Most enjoy being in the Big East but would reluctantly go along with a Big 12 invite due to the money and football aspect.

I enjoy popping over to the BY for quick reads and opinions. I remember when one of their posters (I think it was Chief) broke the news that UConn would be returning to the BE, and it was met with immediate skepticism and outrage. When it was publicly announced a short-time later (I think it was only a day or two), some diehard UConn football fans vowed to leave the BY, their UConn fandom and never return. Not sure if any of those posters kept to their emotional declaration, but the fact is that realignment is ultimate boom or bust fandom for fans. It is as can be as big as winning a championship or as gutwrenching as a last-place finish; the difference is that it lasts years, if not decades. Furthermore, there is very little that schools can do, at this point in time, to elevate their brands/programs for consideration (which makes the lack of investment from several A10 basketball programs even more perplexing, but that is another topic).

UConn, no matter its conference, will always be an imperfect fit, respectively. They are a public land grant university in one of the most wealthiest states in the country. Their endowment is less than that of Vermont and Delaware, and would be dead last in either the ACC or Big Ten. They spend like a power conference athletic department, but do not have the FBS history/success that a majority of the grouping holds. The NE, outside of Rutgers, lacks large public school football. It's history is rooted in elite men's basketball, many years of which have been in the Big East. They are not a fit for the Big 12 (Location/Football), Big Ten (Academics/Football) or the ACC (Tobacco Road/Football); similarly, as a large Public institution, they also don't fit in the Big East. Well, they don't fit in the CAA (non-D1), or American East (non-football) either. The MAC isn't a fit because the league is centered in the Midwest. While an imperfect fit, their "best" home right now is the Big East, and they have been immensely successful since returning. In time, they will eventually realign with Syracuse and Boston College (either here in the BE or in a back-loaded ACC. However, the ACC should be very nervous about what is going to happen with the PAC. They are next.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby stever20 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:26 pm

So an interesting what if right now.

What if Boise and San Diego St had never gone back to the MWC when they were going to join the Big East(eventually AAC)?

Is that decision if the Pac 12 just goes away which looks possible maybe going to doom both schools. Both would probably right now be Big 12 candidates if not already in the Big 12.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board