Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby stever20 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:05 am

Interesting article. The live sports rites are the absolute key, as we've said all along.

Really the big thing now is the Big Ten. Fox has got to get enough of it to be able to put a lot on FS1. I really think with all their other Big 12 and Pac 12 football they already have, along with Saturday MLB, and playoff MLB(2 Saturday slots guaranteed gone, and a 3rd necessary to block off if the LCS goes 7 games- so can't really plan on that at all), it's going to be a challenge.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:56 am

It was an interesting sidenote that ESPN, FS1, and another "partner" went in together to bid on the Premier League (and still didn't get it).

Will the B1G get the $400+ millions they have been speculating they will get? I think the bidding war days are over...at least in terms of record-setting deals for these leagues. I think they will easily match/beat the last contract (10 years/$100 M), but IMO they will be lucky to double the overall income (to $200 M) this time.

It is crucial for ESPN to retain this contract...if they lose the B1G TV package the perception will be that the WWL is is fact hurting over the losses of subscriber base and losses of revenues. All eyes on whether ESPN can muster the onions to pull this one off and they may attempt to inflate/run up the bid. If not, clients and potential clients will see weakness in the once indominatable ESPN. NBC, Turner, FS, and even CBS will counterbid, but not for anywhere near $400 M. FS1 already has a major stake in the B1G network and in 2nd tier rights. The networks - CBS, NBC, Fox, Turner, could easily pay a record amount using their rebroadcast rights warchests - but won't. The bids will probably be scaled back from here on out for these content contracts. Should be good entertainment.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby stever20 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:49 am

Well considering the rights for the EPL just doubled, I don't think you can say that bidding war days are over.

And, I think anyone is foolish to think they're only going to get 200 million a year. They're going to get paid a lot. At the very minimum 300-400 million a year. Live sports is the ONLY thing that can bring back the money. It is dvr proof.
stever20

Postby Jet915 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:16 pm

I think Fox will split the Big Ten with ESPN. I think that is the best case scenario for the Big East. Have a nice complement to Big East games but not have too much programming where alot of our games get relegated to FS2.
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:00 pm

Jet915 wrote:I think Fox will split the Big Ten with ESPN. I think that is the best case scenario for the Big East. Have a nice complement to Big East games but not have too much programming where alot of our games get relegated to FS2.

Only thing for basketball- we're only talking 4-5 games max per week for the Big Ten. It'd be like maybe 2 for ESPN and 3 for Fox. 2 things with that. 1- we may see Raft calling more Big Ten games- as I seriously doubt the Big Ten leaves CBS. 2- we may see Big Ten get some Big Fox exposure on weekends which may take some of the exposures the Big East has gotten over weekends.
stever20

Postby R Jay » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:00 pm

stever20 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:I think Fox will split the Big Ten with ESPN. I think that is the best case scenario for the Big East. Have a nice complement to Big East games but not have too much programming where alot of our games get relegated to FS2.

Only thing for basketball- we're only talking 4-5 games max per week for the Big Ten. It'd be like maybe 2 for ESPN and 3 for Fox. 2 things with that. 1- we may see Raft calling more Big Ten games- as I seriously doubt the Big Ten leaves CBS. 2- we may see Big Ten get some Big Fox exposure on weekends which may take some of the exposures the Big East has gotten over weekends.

Come on Stever, you know there's more than one time slot on FOX on the weekends. FOX could have at least 4 games on Saturdays and 3 on Sundays if it so desired.
Entirely possible to do a double header Big East/Big Ten Saturday midday and afternoon marathon.
They could even add in a PAC-12 Game to make a triple header with no problem.
Besides, Big Ten usually has just the Sunday time slot on CBS with an occasional Saturday game.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby stever20 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:07 pm

R Jay wrote:
stever20 wrote:

Come on Stever, you know there's more than one time slot on FOX on the weekends. FOX could have at least 4 games on Saturdays and 3 on Sundays if it so desired.
Entirely possible to do a double header Big East/Big Ten Saturday midday and afternoon marathon.
Besides, Big Ten usually has just the Sunday time slot on CBS with an occasional Saturday game.

Fox could, but the fact is they don't.

And about the big ten- the ESPN package was for about 4-5 games a week. They aren't going to take games off the Big Ten Network for it- they already said as much I think. So if they're splitting it would be either like 2 for ESPN/3 for Fox or 3 for ESPN 2 for Fox.

What we may very well see if Fox gets the Big Ten is Fox allows CBSSN to take a lot more games and put the Big Ten games into some slots that the Big East has had.
stever20

Postby R Jay » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:34 pm

stever20 wrote:
R Jay wrote:
stever20 wrote:

Fox could, but the fact is they don't.

And about the big ten- the ESPN package was for about 4-5 games a week. They aren't going to take games off the Big Ten Network for it- they already said as much I think. So if they're splitting it would be either like 2 for ESPN/3 for Fox or 3 for ESPN 2 for Fox.

What we may very well see if Fox gets the Big Ten is Fox allows CBSSN to take a lot more games and put the Big Ten games into some slots that the Big East has had.

You're forgetting that FS1 needs live sports throughout Saturdays (and Sundays). They aren't going to take games off FS1 to put on FOX where they can have similar offerings to the other broadcast stations. FS1 is going to take priority in this case. If they add the Big Ten, FS1 will have more options for FS1 and could potentially move more of our games to FOX.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby stever20 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:49 pm

to get the Big Ten though, they may need to offer some slots on Big Fox for basketball as well as football. The Big Ten is in control here, not Fox. That's what folks forget. Fox can't just automatically say we'll put x games on FS1 and nothing on Big Fox. Big Ten very well might not take that. And I don't think it's realistic to say that they would take too kindly to being what would in essence be 2nd fiddle to the Big East- with Big East getting Big Fox exposures and Big Ten not. That won't fly.
stever20

Postby R Jay » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:15 pm

stever20 wrote:to get the Big Ten though, they may need to offer some slots on Big Fox for basketball as well as football. The Big Ten is in control here, not Fox. That's what folks forget. Fox can't just automatically say we'll put x games on FS1 and nothing on Big Fox. Big Ten very well might not take that. And I don't think it's realistic to say that they would take too kindly to being what would in essence be 2nd fiddle to the Big East- with Big East getting Big Fox exposures and Big Ten not. That won't fly.

I see your strawman game is still going strong. Nowhere did I say that the Big East would be on FOX more than the Big Ten in my last post. All I said was that there is more potential content for FS1 meaning that FOX could take more weekend games. That goes for us.
And I'm sorry, but you're absolutely incorrect about the B1G having control over television schedules, too. Every single conference is at the mercy of it's broadcast partner when it comes to which games will be when. I'm not sure you understand that the conferences, even the major conferences, don't have much leverage when it comes to scheduling their games for tv.
R Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board