Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby stever20 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:49 pm

billyjack wrote:Stever is correct again as usual...!
:)

#thingsiveneverheardbillyjacksay
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEX » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:36 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nearly every kid at the LLWS will tell you it was the best 2 weeks of their life. 12 isn't too early to learn that things don't always go your way. I don't see anyone being labeled a "goat".
We've turned into a land of participation trophies and pizza parties. The biggest problem with youth sports is dealing with the helicopter parents.
BEX

Postby Jet915 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:17 pm

Jet915

Postby billyjack » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:28 pm

BEX wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Nearly every kid at the LLWS will tell you it was the best 2 weeks of their life. 12 isn't too early to learn that things don't always go your way. I don't see anyone being labeled a "goat".
We've turned into a land of participation trophies and pizza parties. The biggest problem with youth sports is dealing with the helicopter parents.

Nothing in what I wrote has anything to do with pizza or trophies or not wanting kids to play in the LLWS.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

My point was that since it's on ESPN 24/7 for 2 straight weeks, a significant number of viewers will be middle-aged dudes at bars watching 12-year-olds run around on a baseball diamond... to me that's kind of odd... this is ESPN's top sporting event for half the month of August.
Providence
billyjack

Postby BEX » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:58 pm

billyjack wrote:
BEX wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

... a significant number of viewers will be middle-aged dudes at bars watching 12-year-olds run around on a baseball diamond...

Unless they coach youth baseball, I doubt they would fit with the demographics. But if LL is drawing 5 million and the MLB is drawing 1.4m, I would guess a lot of people like it. Obviously, you don't.
BEX

Postby stever20 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:38 pm

ESPN doesn't get 5 million every game. The game they got 5 million for last year was Mone Davis playing against the Chicago team. That's a rarity that we may frankly never see again.
stever20

Postby BEX » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:12 pm

The Original poster thinks the LLWS is weird? All I said is it's not weird. ESPN has a nice deal there. Great sponsors like Honda, Kellogg's, Subway, etc., etc. for years. They are obviously trying to reach this market. ESPN gets great programming during a usually dead time of year. Brilliant. And the guys in bars have 10 other channels to watch. So everybody's happy. ESPN had 1.1 million last night for a REGIONAL game between Colorado and Texas. I'm sure they were thrilled.
BEX

Postby billyjack » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:10 pm

BEX wrote:The Original poster thinks the LLWS is weird? All I said is it's not weird. ESPN has a nice deal there. Great sponsors like Honda, Kellogg's, Subway, etc., etc. for years. They are obviously trying to reach this market. ESPN gets great programming during a usually dead time of year. Brilliant. And the guys in bars have 10 other channels to watch. So everybody's happy. ESPN had 1.1 million last night for a REGIONAL game between Colorado and Texas. I'm sure they were thrilled.

I'm trying to let this topic go to sleep...

I never said, and I don't think, that the LLWS is weird.
I said that I think it's weird that ESPN devotes 2 weeks with wall to wall coverage of the LLWS, promoting 12 year olds.
That's all.
Providence
billyjack

Postby mel ott » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:20 pm

billyjack wrote:
BEX wrote:The Original poster thinks the LLWS is weird? All I said is it's not weird. ESPN has a nice deal there. Great sponsors like Honda, Kellogg's, Subway, etc., etc. for years. They are obviously trying to reach this market. ESPN gets great programming during a usually dead time of year. Brilliant. And the guys in bars have 10 other channels to watch. So everybody's happy. ESPN had 1.1 million last night for a REGIONAL game between Colorado and Texas. I'm sure they were thrilled.

I'm trying to let this topic go to sleep...

I never said, and I don't think, that the LLWS is weird.
I said that I think it's weird that ESPN devotes 2 weeks with wall to wall coverage of the LLWS, promoting 12 year olds.
That's all.

Let it die. I didn't find anything weird about your post. I'm not sure why this topic of LLWS is so exciting, but you're right- 24x7 coverage is a little over the top. I personally don't care either way. You're a good poster and I don't want your reputation taking a hit with this attack :D
mel ott

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board