Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby billyjack » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:04 pm

stever20 wrote:Just saw that NBC has resigned the EPL for 6 more years- thru the 2021-22 season.

It's kind of interesting that they did it thru then- as the 2022-23 season is the one that could get really ravaged by the World Cup in Qatar.

This is great news for soccer fans. NBC does an excellent job with the EPL. Love their coverage and their bonus stations allowing viewers to pick their favorite game.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:12 pm

stever20 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Forbes article on growth of FS1 although i think his ESPN2 numbers are off...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2015/08/10/in-second-year-fox-sports-1-making-progress-on-catching-espn/

The ESPN2 numbers way off. No way in hell they average only 25k viewers per day or 41k viewers in prime time. Last 2 weeks- ESPN2 in all day is 179k and 213k. Prime time is 237k and 375k.

And just funny that he says they should catch ESPN in a few years. When you consider that FS1's #1 thing of all time- the playoff game had as good viewership as the little league world series game that Mone Davis started.

I don't know, but maybe ESPN2 was televising poker night or the World's Strongest Man competition.

Speaking of the Little League World Series, am I the only one that finds it creepy that ESPN has wall-to-wall coverage of the Little League tournament? Maybe just because I have 9 and 12 year old sons? In our Little League, the parents decided not to put the kids' names on their jersey backs, for basic safety reasons. Meanwhile, ESPN has in depth analysis of all these kids. Weird.

And I couldn't find the clicker last night when my kids finally went to bed, and they had it on the ESPN Pirates-Dodgers game. So I listened to their crew for a couple of innings. How is this any better than MLB Network or FS1's baseball coverage? It isn't, it's worse. Dan Shulman is good, but seriously, does John Kruk really offer anything special to justify great ratings? My 12 year old offers better baseball insight than Kruk. Sheesh.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:25 pm

billyjack wrote:
stever20 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Forbes article on growth of FS1 although i think his ESPN2 numbers are off...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2015/08/10/in-second-year-fox-sports-1-making-progress-on-catching-espn/

The ESPN2 numbers way off. No way in hell they average only 25k viewers per day or 41k viewers in prime time. Last 2 weeks- ESPN2 in all day is 179k and 213k. Prime time is 237k and 375k.

And just funny that he says they should catch ESPN in a few years. When you consider that FS1's #1 thing of all time- the playoff game had as good viewership as the little league world series game that Mone Davis started.

I don't know, but maybe ESPN2 was televising poker night or the World's Strongest Man competition.

Speaking of the Little League World Series, am I the only one that finds it creepy that ESPN has wall-to-wall coverage of the Little League tournament? Maybe just because I have 9 and 12 year old sons? In our Little League, the parents decided not to put the kids' names on their jersey backs, for basic safety reasons. Meanwhile, ESPN has in depth analysis of all these kids. Weird.

And I couldn't find the clicker last night when my kids finally went to bed, and they had it on the ESPN Pirates-Dodgers game. So I listened to their crew for a couple of innings. How is this any better than MLB Network or FS1's baseball coverage? It isn't, it's worse. Dan Shulman is good, but seriously, does John Kruk really offer anything special to justify great ratings? My 12 year old offers better baseball insight than Kruk. Sheesh.

Lets not pretend that if it got out on the open market right now that the coverage of the LLWS would go down. Like it or not but it has become very popular. They always showed the finals and then the ratings showed that they could get good numbers by going deeper. It's probably going to always be at least as much coverage as we have right now.

I think where ESPN has it is the non game analysts. Guys like Jayson Stark, Tim Kurkijan(I once met him at an AAU basketball game, he was coaching his daughters team and I was doing the clock. I kind of recognized his voice and looked at the book sheet and sure enough it was his daughter playing- got a chance to chit chat with him at half time- he's a great guy), Buster Olney, etc. Even some of their other analysts like Rick Sutcliffe. And I think Schilling as the 3rd person is pretty good as well....
stever20

Postby Jet915 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:33 pm

Jet915 wrote:FS1 is showing it's first NWSL (Women's soccer league game tonight). It will be interesting to see what the ratings are, anything over 100K would be a success in my book.

91K viewers for the game. Not bad...
Jet915

Postby BEX » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:36 pm

billyjack wrote:
stever20 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Speaking of the Little League World Series, am I the only one that finds it creepy that ESPN has wall-to-wall coverage of the Little League tournament? Maybe just because I have 9 and 12 year old sons? In our Little League, the parents decided not to put the kids' names on their jersey backs, for basic safety reasons. Meanwhile, ESPN has in depth analysis of all these kids. Weird.

Weird? One of the final games drew 5 million, while Sunday Night Baseball drew 1.4m. The highest for a MLB regular season game was 5.3 million (Yankees/Red Sox 2007) These kids play some great baseball and it only lasts 1.5 hrs. Tune in, you might learn something for your LL team. Great fundamentals. All the MLB teams are watching from the clubhouses.
BEX

Postby stever20 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:48 pm

I get what Billyjack said. I know I coach youth basketball, and it's a real fine line that ESPN/Little League has. There's part of me that thinks it's just way too much- that these are 11 and 12 year olds and ESPN is exploiting them. But there is a part of me that thinks this is pretty cool for the kids. It's a pretty interesting dynamic. But like I said, it's one that isn't going away any time soon.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:01 am

Cowherd is official...
http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/colin-c ... ept-3.html

Think it's a good add for FS1.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:38 am

Stever is correct again as usual...!
:)

BEX, yes, the Little League games get great ratings, and there are many talented kids. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's odd to be promoting 11 and 12-year olds. And having them on national TV where 12-year-olds can become heroes or goats is just an odd concept. ESPN for 2-3 weeks in August is wall to wall Little League.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Jet915 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:39 am

Jet915

Postby MUPanther » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:29 pm

billyjack wrote:Stever is correct again as usual...!
:)

Well, I wouldn't say that.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board