BRACKETOLOGY 2020-21

The home for Big East hoops

Re: BRACKETOLOGY 2020-21

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:56 am

Pretty crazy how much more SJ seems to have to do than anyone else. Maybe it's just perception, but man it feels like the only way we make it is if we win it all. 16-10 10-9 in a crazy year in a down year for conference but still one of the toughest in America. It's extremely rare to have over .500 record in a power conference and miss the tourney. We have 2 top 25 wins (I know UConn was without Bouk but ranking is ranking and no one else gets questioned). We beat #3 Nova, a blue blood program with 2 championships recently pretty thoroughly with them at full strength. We have won games without our best player in Posh and even Posh and Moore at same time. All I keep hearing is "still not enough" even if we win tonight. I will admit that we shouldn't have made the tourney in Mullin's last year and was surprised, but if we beat Hall tonight and don't make it, that would be atrocious. The NET is BS this year, because we didn't get the OOC opportunities we normally would. So it's just a blood bath in the Big East and our conference gets killed for it. Schools like Colgate are beneficiaries, because NET doesn't seem to give a crap what conference you're in. SJ should be the last team in as it stands right now IMO. I feel like standings have little meaning anymore. Analytics hurting the sport.
MullinMayhem

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:33 am

Duke is OUT! Positive COVID test. Oh my. How sad.
MullinMayhem

Postby Django » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:45 am

MullinMayhem wrote:Pretty crazy how much more SJ seems to have to do than anyone else. Maybe it's just perception, but man it feels like the only way we make it is if we win it all. 16-10 10-9 in a crazy year in a down year for conference but still one of the toughest in America. It's extremely rare to have over .500 record in a power conference and miss the tourney. We have 2 top 25 wins (I know UConn was without Bouk but ranking is ranking and no one else gets questioned). We beat #3 Nova, a blue blood program with 2 championships recently pretty thoroughly with them at full strength. We have won games without our best player in Posh and even Posh and Moore at same time. All I keep hearing is "still not enough" even if we win tonight. I will admit that we shouldn't have made the tourney in Mullin's last year and was surprised, but if we beat Hall tonight and don't make it, that would be atrocious. The NET is BS this year, because we didn't get the OOC opportunities we normally would. So it's just a blood bath in the Big East and our conference gets killed for it. Schools like Colgate are beneficiaries, because NET doesn't seem to give a crap what conference you're in. SJ should be the last team in as it stands right now IMO. I feel like standings have little meaning anymore. Analytics hurting the sport.

YES! Just a quick look head to head v. Michigan State:

Overall Record:
SJU 16-10
MSU 15-11

Conference Record:
SJU 10-9
MSU 9-11

NET
SJU 66
MSU 67

Q1 Record
MSU 5-10
SJU 2-6

Bracket Matrix
MSU 11 Seed
SJU NADA
Django

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:48 am

Django wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:Pretty crazy how much more SJ seems to have to do than anyone else. Maybe it's just perception, but man it feels like the only way we make it is if we win it all. 16-10 10-9 in a crazy year in a down year for conference but still one of the toughest in America. It's extremely rare to have over .500 record in a power conference and miss the tourney. We have 2 top 25 wins (I know UConn was without Bouk but ranking is ranking and no one else gets questioned). We beat #3 Nova, a blue blood program with 2 championships recently pretty thoroughly with them at full strength. We have won games without our best player in Posh and even Posh and Moore at same time. All I keep hearing is "still not enough" even if we win tonight. I will admit that we shouldn't have made the tourney in Mullin's last year and was surprised, but if we beat Hall tonight and don't make it, that would be atrocious. The NET is BS this year, because we didn't get the OOC opportunities we normally would. So it's just a blood bath in the Big East and our conference gets killed for it. Schools like Colgate are beneficiaries, because NET doesn't seem to give a crap what conference you're in. SJ should be the last team in as it stands right now IMO. I feel like standings have little meaning anymore. Analytics hurting the sport.

Overall Record:
SJU 16-10
MSU 15-11

Conference Record:
SJU 10-9
MSU 9-11

NET
SJU 66
MSU 67

Q1 Record
MSU 5-10
SJU 2-6

Bracket Matrix
MSU 11 Seed
SJU NADA

It's just the quad 1 wins, which B1G teams simply have way more opportunities for than everyone else because of the strength at the top of their conference this year.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:48 am

Django wrote:

Overall Record:
SJU 16-10
MSU 15-11

Conference Record:
SJU 10-9
MSU 9-11

NET
SJU 66
MSU 67

Q1 Record
SJU 2-6
MSU 5-10

Bracket Matrix
MSU 11 Seed
SJU NADA

Exhibit A on why the "eye" test needs to be removed from the process. Just use the NET (or RPI, whatever metric they decide) to decide the teams. We all know metrics can be gamed, but at least we are all trying to game the same system.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Django » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:52 am

I hear ya Hall, I was just a tad surprised to see that Mullin has a legit point, I'm sure I could pick out some other teams as well. We shall see what happens with them, other than our own teams obviously I think we all should be Johnnies fans to win the BET and go kick some ass in the Big Dance.
Django

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:54 am

NET is fine as long as it makes it clear that Colgate and Drake beating up on cupcakes is NOT the same as SJ beating Seton Hall, Villanova, UConn, etc. They need to weight them less for those small teams and weigh ours more for power conference adjustment. Our SOS is 62, Drake is like 150+ and they're in over us.
MullinMayhem

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:10 am

MullinMayhem wrote:NET is fine as long as it makes it clear that Colgate and Drake beating up on cupcakes is NOT the same as SJ beating Seton Hall, Villanova, UConn, etc. They need to weight them less for those small teams and weigh ours more for power conference adjustment. Our SOS is 62, Drake is like 150+ and they're in over us.

They already factor in SOS. Colgate is just good, give them credit.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:17 am

Top 10 good? They would play with a full strength Nova? Come on...
MullinMayhem

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:18 am

MullinMayhem wrote:NET is fine as long as it makes it clear that Colgate and Drake beating up on cupcakes is NOT the same as SJ beating Seton Hall, Villanova, UConn, etc. They need to weight them less for those small teams and weigh ours more for power conference adjustment. Our SOS is 62, Drake is like 150+ and they're in over us.

And it does, but I think where it fails a team like SJU is less adquately accounting for losses to those same teams. I'll leave UConn out for right now since they only played once, but St. John's split with both Nova and Seton Hall. Realistically, splitting with both of them is far more impressive than Drake sweeping Indiana State and Evansville ,but the losses likely wash out the wins enough in the computer rankings that they don't adquately reflect that difference. Basically, while there is some SOS adjustment, there's not enough IMO.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board