Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby NovaBall » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:44 am

Haven't read this thread in a while, but my guess as to what is going on:

FS1 ratings continue to improve, and
Stever is somehow trying to spin it into a negative for the big east with some long worded nonsense.
NovaBall

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:04 pm

Colin Cowherd is leaving ESPN and rumors are that he is coming to Fox. Would be a great get IMO.
Jet915

Postby HoosierPal » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:55 pm

Jet915 wrote:Colin Cowherd is leaving ESPN and rumors are that he is coming to Fox. Would be a great get IMO.

In my book Cowherd is an idiot. He claimed that the Indiana Pacer's attendance decline last year was racially motivated. The fact that they weren't very good wasn't an issue? The fact that Paul George was hurt wasn't an issue? Are the Indy Colts an all white team? They have no problem with attendance. Think before you speak, Colin.
HoosierPal

Postby Jet915 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:16 pm

Jet915

Postby billyjack » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:23 pm

HoosierPal wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Colin Cowherd is leaving ESPN and rumors are that he is coming to Fox. Would be a great get IMO.

In my book Cowherd is an idiot. He claimed that the Indiana Pacer's attendance decline last year was racially motivated. The fact that they weren't very good wasn't an issue? The fact that Paul George was hurt wasn't an issue? Are the Indy Colts an all white team? They have no problem with attendance. Think before you speak, Colin.

The point isn't that Colin Cowherd is an idiot. The point is that he was a prized ESPN possession that might go to Fox.

When you ask pro-ESPN fans what makes ESPN different than Fox (in reality, nothing except familiarity), they claim ESPN has all these great personalities... Kornheiser, Cowherd, Wilpon, all those guys that no one should care about... anyway, one of those guys just got off the Titanic.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:04 pm

what makes ESPN different than FS1 is the programming....

Baseball- ESPN has a lot of it- so at best it's a push.
NFL- ESPN has MNF which is the #1 program in cable each week when it's on. Fox has no NFL presence at all.
College Football- ESPN and not even close
NBA- ESPN big
College Basketball- ESPN and not even close
NHL- neither have it
Golf- FS1 now
Tennis- ESPN
Soccer- FS1
Racing- FS1

so ESPN has College football, Basketball, NBA, Tennis, and NFL
FS1 has Golf, Soccer and Racing

So programming still a huge advantage for ESPN. That's the thing that until FS1 can do something about it, they are going to struggle compared to ESPN. The outside programming while yes ESPN is better than FS1- it's just the icing on the cake. The cake is the actual live rights, and that's where ESPN has a huge leg up.
stever20

Postby robinreed » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:48 am

Cowherd is one of if not the worst talking head on ESPN. He is unfortunately also one of the most popular. The new Fox director (who recently came from ESPN) is continuing in his campaign to make Fox a junior version of ESPN. Actually from a ratings point of view this may be a very good idea. At least I hope so.

I wonder if the people on this board who have been so critical of ESPN in the last few years will change their tune when we become the junior ESPN? Frankly, as I still look at ESPN as the gold standard I believe it is a good thing. We may be seeing that Fox has reached a state of desperation and is looking to not only remake themselves in the ESPN image but also adopt the sensational and controversial aspects of the WWL. Although the talking heads are in my view the absolute WORST part of the WWL they obviously work rating wise.

I believe this may save Fox and help it grow and prosper. Now we can only hope that the new Fox will not put so much of it's emphasis on college football as the WWL has. I am a fan of FB and would like to see more of it on Fox, perhaps replacing the perverted boxing which they smother us with. I simply don't want them to let it control the network.

Although I do not like CC I do believe he is a good hire and will lead to a Fox version of the Sports Center.
Fox broadcasts our games in a very professional manner I have reason to hope they will do the same with college football when the current contracts for the minor football conferences like the C-USA run out (in June of 2016.) They are rumored to be discussing a contract with C-USA as is NBC per the C-USA blog. I can not imagine anything worse than the C-USA basketball however. Hopefully that will not be shown.

By the way I saw this on both the PAC and MWC boards last night so it is probably true that Cowherd is moving to Fox.
robinreed

Postby HoosierPal » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:52 pm

billyjack wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:

The point isn't that Colin Cowherd is an idiot. The point is that he was a prized ESPN possession that might go to Fox.

When you ask pro-ESPN fans what makes ESPN different than Fox (in reality, nothing except familiarity), they claim ESPN has all these great personalities... Kornheiser, Cowherd, Wilpon, all those guys that no one should care about... anyway, one of those guys just got off the Titanic.

No it is not my point. My point is that Cowherd is an idiot and Jet915's comment that he would be a "great get IMO" to me if off base.
HoosierPal

Postby marquette » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:04 pm

robinreed wrote: perverted boxing

Comments like this are insulting and show your ignorance. If it's not for you, then don't watch. Keep the commentary to yourself.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby stever20 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:59 pm

marquette wrote:
robinreed wrote: perverted boxing

Comments like this are insulting and show your ignorance. If it's not for you, then don't watch. Keep the commentary to yourself.

The thing is, I think this thought of the UFC is what a lot of people do think. They see it and they turn it off immediately. And yes, I think how much that FS1 airs UFC does hurt the channel in some folks minds. I know I'm not a huge UFC fan- I'll watch it though and have seen some matches at the bar or whatever- but at times in particular it feels like the UFC is getting jammed down the throat at FS1. I could see that for someone who doesn't care for UFC for that to be a big turnoff. I think there's a lot more robinreeds thinking about UFC than you want to admit.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board