Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby R Jay » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:10 pm

bmorex wrote:I have read/heard from friends who watch golf nothing but negative views on their coverage this weekend.

People don't like change. It's been on NBC for years and now it's moved over to a different network. Some still hate the NBA on ESPN and wish it would move back to NBC.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:26 pm

I don't see much of a difference at all between Fox and NBC in golf. Actually 1- I think Norman vs Johnny Miller. I personally like Norman a lot- think with some work he's going to be pretty good... Thought he was better than Miller quite frankly.

This year kind of such a different open as well, it'll be interesting on a more "normal" course to see how Fox fares.
stever20

Postby Jet915 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:22 pm

Wow, what a finish. Feel bad for Dustin Johnson.
Jet915

Postby R Jay » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:25 pm

Fantastic final round. That is for sure. So much drama and back and forth in the last few groups.
It'll be interesting to see the ratings when they come out.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby warriorfan4life » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:04 pm

R Jay wrote:
bmorex wrote:I have read/heard from friends who watch golf nothing but negative views on their coverage this weekend.

People don't like change. It's been on NBC for years and now it's moved over to a different network. Some still hate the NBA on ESPN and wish it would move back to NBC.

This, and all of the smart asses from CBS and ESPN have fired tons of shots at the course and coverage. I am a somewhat lapsed golf fan that got back into the game this year (in large part to doing an all-sports pool where I have to pick teams for all four majors), and thought that Fox's coverage was a much needed fresh perspective to a sport that badly needed it. Not a huge Joe Buck fan for anything, but I'll take Buck and Norman all day and every day over Johnny Miller's loud mouth (and Brad Faxon was a much better version of what Johnny Miller tries to be). Other than hoping for the Premier League to stay with NBC Sports (as they have done a fantastic job with it), hoping that Fox continues to gobble up all of the significant rights that it can.
Marquette
warriorfan4life

Postby stever20 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:25 pm

warriorfan4life wrote:
R Jay wrote:

This, and all of the smart asses from CBS and ESPN have fired tons of shots at the course and coverage. I am a somewhat lapsed golf fan that got back into the game this year (in large part to doing an all-sports pool where I have to pick teams for all four majors), and thought that Fox's coverage was a much needed fresh perspective to a sport that badly needed it. Not a huge Joe Buck fan for anything, but I'll take Buck and Norman all day and every day over Johnny Miller's loud mouth (and Brad Faxon was a much better version of what Johnny Miller tries to be). Other than hoping for the Premier League to stay with NBC Sports (as they have done a fantastic job with it), hoping that Fox continues to gobble up all of the significant rights that it can.

the course has taken a beating not just from folks from CBS/ESPN but the players themselves.

I mean Ian Poulter said: "[The greens] were simply the worst most disgraceful surface I have ever seen on any tour in all the years".
stever20

Postby marquette » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:37 am

R Jay wrote:

Hey man, I grew up on roundball rock.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Xudash » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:51 am

Chambers Bay proved to be bad on a few levels. Certainly, the players didn't like it.

But consider the fan experience, too. Not very many good viewing areas for the fans at that place. They even commented on that during yesterday's telecast, with the President of the USGA mentioning that they'll have to look at that issue following the tournament. IF it generated bad sight lines and viewing areas for the fans, it made Fox's job in shooting the telecast that much harder as well.

Even with that in play, I thought Fox did a great job. I agree with everyone's comments about bombastic Johnny Miller; Greg Norman was a breath of fresh air.

It was a great finish on a crappy course set against beautiful natural scenery. As for Dustin Johnson, Tom Weiskopf said it best: "Dustin Johnson is going to have to find a way to get past this." He was shaky all day with the flat stick, and it did him in in spectacular fashion at the end.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby stever20 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:28 am

Xudash wrote:Chambers Bay proved to be bad on a few levels. Certainly, the players didn't like it.

But consider the fan experience, too. Not very many good viewing areas for the fans at that place. They even commented on that during yesterday's telecast, with the President of the USGA mentioning that they'll have to look at that issue following the tournament. IF it generated bad sight lines and viewing areas for the fans, it made Fox's job in shooting the telecast that much harder as well.

Even with that in play, I thought Fox did a great job. I agree with everyone's comments about bombastic Johnny Miller; Greg Norman was a breath of fresh air.

It was a great finish on a crappy course set against beautiful natural scenery. As for Dustin Johnson, Tom Weiskopf said it best: "Dustin Johnson is going to have to find a way to get past this." He was shaky all day with the flat stick, and it did him in in spectacular fashion at the end.

Great point on the shooting of the telecast being difficult because of the course itself...

Fox especially for a first time out did a great job. I think one thing pretty interesting, some of their things, like the shot tracker, I think will serve them so much better on a "normal" US Open type of course.

Fox I think in some ways got lucky no playoff today. It would have started at 3pm et and with the WWC set for 8pm, could have gotten very dicey there- would have cut into the pregame.
stever20

Postby cujaysfan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:28 am

stever20 wrote:Fox gets unlucky with the US Open with Tiger and McElroy bombing out and almost certainly out over the weekend now.

yeah, wow. that US open was the worst - no one watched that finish.

and rory - another spot on prediction
cujaysfan

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board