Rankings for 2021-22

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Rankings for 2021-22

Postby kayako » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:52 pm

adoraz wrote:Looking at the conference RPI rankings one last time (before we get NET):

1. SEC
2. Big XII
3. Big East
4. Big Ten
5. Mountain West
6. Pac 12
7. ACC
8. West Coast
9. Southern
10. Atlantic 10

https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/ ... conference

I think SEC and B12 conveniently had softer schedules so far. #1 is within reach for the BE if we have a nice next couple of weeks.
supernova
kayako

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:00 am

kayako wrote:
adoraz wrote:Looking at the conference RPI rankings one last time (before we get NET):

1. SEC
2. Big XII
3. Big East
4. Big Ten
5. Mountain West
6. Pac 12
7. ACC
8. West Coast
9. Southern
10. Atlantic 10

https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/ ... conference

I think SEC and B12 conveniently had softer schedules so far. #1 is within reach for the BE if we have a nice next couple of weeks.

yeah by my count like 22 tough games left in OOC play here in the next 2 weeks. Out of a total of 42 games left. With a couple of tricky ones not in the tough count(one for sure is RI/PC).
stever20

Postby adoraz » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:27 am

Up to #2 in RPI, behind only the SEC!
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:52 am

adoraz wrote:Easy to say when X is ranked #2 in RPI (kidding).

I'm aware of how RPI works, but it's still pretty flawed. Villanova for instance I'm sure would be ranked higher than #42 when NET comes out. They lost 2 very close games against top 3 teams and shouldn't be punished for challenging themselves. If RPI were still the metric being used, then I think they'd be more likely to schedule teams in the top 25 (teams they'd be favored against) rather than the top 3 (teams they've been underdogs against). Despite the results thus far, I've enjoyed seeing Nova play UCLA and Purdue over Tennessee.

Anyway, I'm just glad we can stop using RPI (and other useless metrics like KenPom- which still factors in 2020-21) once we get the official NET rankings. I think NET is flawed, too, but it's the metric being used and at least we'd have official numbers to use.

If I recall correctly the formula behind the NET isn't even published so I am not sure how reliable it is. I appreciate the science behind kenpom and other metrics, but at the end of the day I want bids decided by wins and losses. RPI only gets more accurate as the season goes along and is as good a metric that exists for comparing 350 schools in a 30 game season.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby adoraz » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:25 am

Yeah the NET formula isn't public unfortunately, if it were we would have numbers already. I haven't seen any reason to believe it's being manipulated, but it still should be public.

While I do think NET is a better metric than RPI, my comment wasn't meant to compare the two. More so I'm just glad we can finally get the officially used metric and put RPI behind us. KenPom will still be partially using 2020-21 data and pre-season expectations for another month I believe, which is totally useless when it comes to things like conference rankings in 2021-22. Regardless of how we feel about NET, at least everyone will be on the same page.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby X-man » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:19 pm

DudeAnon wrote:

I'm aware of how RPI works, but it's still pretty flawed. Villanova for instance I'm sure would be ranked higher than #42 when NET comes out. They lost 2 very close games against top 3 teams and shouldn't be punished for challenging themselves. If RPI were still the metric being used, then I think they'd be more likely to schedule teams in the top 25 (teams they'd be favored against) rather than the top 3 (teams they've been underdogs against). Despite the results thus far, I've enjoyed seeing Nova play UCLA and Purdue over Tennessee.

Anyway, I'm just glad we can stop using RPI (and other useless metrics like KenPom- which still factors in 2020-21) once we get the official NET rankings. I think NET is flawed, too, but it's the metric being used and at least we'd have official numbers to use.

If I recall correctly the formula behind the NET isn't even published so I am not sure how reliable it is. I appreciate the science behind kenpom and other metrics, but at the end of the day I want bids decided by wins and losses. RPI only gets more accurate as the season goes along and is as good a metric that exists for comparing 350 schools in a 30 game season.

The RPI, even with the recent modifications, is pretty crappy because it is so easy to game. The old Big East was notorious for gaming the RPI in its earlier formulation. The revised version ain't much better. And surely it's a good thing to not publish the formula, which makes it harder to game any metric.
Xavier will surprise. Never count them out of the Dance.
X-man

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:21 pm

X-man wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:

The RPI, even with the recent modifications, is pretty crappy because it is so easy to game. The old Big East was notorious for gaming the RPI in its earlier formulation. The revised version ain't much better. And surely it's a good thing to not publish the formula, which makes it harder to game any metric.

That's actually a pretty good point... Hadn't thought about it like that- but does make some sense.
stever20

Postby BEXU » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:53 pm

2. Xavier
22. Marquette
25. Providence
42. Villanova
51. DePaul
60. Creighton
75. Seton Hall
101. UConn
193. St. John's
211. Butler
275. Georgetown

Seems Uncle Git may have erred in panning our non-con schedule. :lol:
BEXU

Postby adoraz » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:59 pm

BEXU wrote:2. Xavier
22. Marquette
25. Providence
42. Villanova
51. DePaul
60. Creighton
75. Seton Hall
101. UConn
193. St. John's
211. Butler
275. Georgetown

Providence is up to #16 today. Marquette, Xavier and Providence all might have a chance to break into the AP Top 25 if they win this weekend. I'll do another post on that tomorrow.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:03 pm

adoraz wrote:
BEXU wrote:2. Xavier
22. Marquette
25. Providence
42. Villanova
51. DePaul
60. Creighton
75. Seton Hall
101. UConn
193. St. John's
211. Butler
275. Georgetown

Providence is up to #16 today. Marquette, Xavier and Providence all might have a chance to break into the AP Top 25 if they win this weekend. I'll do another post on that tomorrow.

what is funny is DePaul has a real shot to get some votes if they were to win this weekend vs Loyola.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board