Let's review Marquette... & Wojo Replacement Discussion...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Let's review Marquette... & Wojo Replacement Discussion.

Postby MUPanther » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:13 pm

Morsell is transferring to Marquette, a 6-5 guard from Baltimore, was Maryland's team leader last season, earning Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year honors while averaging nine points, four rebounds and 2.8 assists and spearheading the Big Ten's third-best scoring defense (65.6 points per game)
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:20 am

Garcia commits to UNCheat.
Jet915

Postby Omaha1 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:25 am

Jet915 wrote:Garcia commits to UNCheat.

Sucks that he is leaving Marquette and doubly so that he’s going to Chapel Hill.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby cu blujs » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:28 am

UNCheat's glory days are over. Roy is gone. They barely made the tournament this past season, and they aren't making it next, IMO. Recent changes to NCAA compensation rules and Supreme Court cases are going to diminish the advantage of cheating programs like UNC. The landscape of basketball is about to undergo a seismic shift - and schools like the Big East schools who (mostly ;) ) play by the rules are going to benefit.
cu blujs

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:29 am

Let's review Marquette... & Wojo Replacement Discussion... Page 8
On March 27, 2021 Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
Marquette made a great move to land Shaka Smart as coach, but what he did by leaving Texas was pure genius - Gary Parrish - March 26, 2021

As a big Marquette fan, I’m quite pleased with the hire. Shaka Smart – Wikipedia

Marquette Golden Eagles Basketball Scholarship Chart & 5-Year Roster - VerbalCommits.com

Who was the best coaching hire in college basketball in 2021? - Matt Norlander, CBS Sports - October 6, 2021
CBS Sports college basketball writers Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander surveyed more than 100 coaches for our annual Candid Coaches series. They polled everyone from head coaches at elite programs to assistants at smaller Division I schools. In exchange for complete anonymity, coaches provided unfiltered honesty about a number of topics.

Who was the best coaching hire this year?

61% • Chris Beard (Texas)
17% • Shaka Smart (Marquette)
8% • Porter Moser (Oklahoma)
3% • Wes Miller (Cincinnati)
3% • Craig Smith (Utah)
8% • All others

Quotes that stood out:

On Shaka Smart

"Marquette is VCU with more resources … he will kill it there, as it's right in his wheelhouse. Urban school in a basketball league where he only has to focus on his team and players. He will win big at Marquette."

"Big Shaka fan. He got f----- at Texas with the one-and-dones. I think he's a damn good coach."

"He'll be who he was without the nastiness [around him] in Austin. Texas is a political job, which is why Chris Beard will thrive there. Marquette is a basketball job, and Shaka does well at a basketball place. He'll thrive because he built a culture and atmosphere around the love of college basketball at VCU. He'll have a chance to get back at that and away from all that other bulls---."

A few of the coaches who voted for Smart were emphatic that we'll look up in 2025 and see Marquette in a better spot under him than Texas will be under Beard.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:09 am

In Post #1 on March 16, 2021, OmahaGuy wrote:
We continue our reviews with the Golden Eagles of Marquette!

OUT
*Dexter Akanno (transferring)
*Theo John (transferring to Duke)
*Koby McEwen (transferring to Weber State)
*Jamal Cain (transferring to Oakland)
*Symir Torrence (transferring to Syracuse)
*DJ Carton (going pro)

BACK
*Jose Perez
*Greg Elliot
*Justin Lewis
*Dawson Garcia

IN
*Kameron Jones
*Stevie Mitchell
*Emarion Ellis
*Keeyan Itejere
*David Joplin
*Tyler Kolek (transfer from George Mason)
*Olivier-Maxence Prosper (transfer from Clemson)

My 0.02:
The first season of the post-Markus Howard era for Marquette has concluded and it wasn't fun. Finishing 9th in the league and posting a 13-14 overall record. I'll give Wojo one more year but it'll be his do-or-die year. In 7 years, no conference titles, 2 dance appearances but no wins. He's recruited well including recruiting 2 McDonalds All-Americans (Ellenson and Garcia) as well as a once-in-a-generation talent in Howard but even with him for 4 years, not much happened. As for next season, Marquette should have a very good nucleus back in Carton, Garcia, Elliot and I like Lewis too. Recruiting class looks decent. Wojo better make something happen next season, or he'll likely be out of a job.

UPDATE: Wojo is already out. It shall be interesting to see who they hire! The next coach will have good talent to work with and I hope he can recruit! Wojo could recruit but just couldn't mesh them together

UPDATE 2: Marquette hires Shaka Smart! I personally have mixed feelings about the hire. Certainly was a good recruiter at Texas but the Longhorns seemed to underachieve on his watch and the Texas fanbase doesn't really mind seeing him leave Austin. On the other hand, maybe a fresh change of scenery is all he needs! McDermott didn't do well at Iowa State but now has Creighton regularly competing for conference titles and appearing in the dance and now (finally) in the Sweet 16. Dana Altman didn't do great at Kansas State but built Creighton into an MVC power and now has built Oregon into one of the premier programs not only in the Pac 12 but all of the country. Some places you fit well, other places...not so much

Anyway, what say you Marquette fans?
----------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by OmahaGuy on Thursday April 29, 2021
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marquette Golden Eagles Basketball Scholarship Chart & 5-Year Roster - VerbalCommits

Marquette Golden Eagles’ 2021-22 Men's Basketball Roster – Marquette University

Marquette HS Class of 2021 Basketball Commits and Eligible Transfers – 247 Sports

Rankings for 2021-22: Post #6
On October 20, 2021, Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
NET RANKINGS 2020-21 – NCAA.com - Through Games on Selection Sunday, March 14, 2021

..... Rank • School • Conference • Overall W-L • (W-L vs. Quad 1 • W-L vs. Quad 2 • W-L vs. Quad 3 • W-L vs. Quad 4)

..... 95 • Marquette • Big East • 13-14 • (5-9 • 2-4 • 3-0 • 3-1)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2022 T-Rank College Basketball Projections - barttorvik.com – October 13, 2021

.....95. Marquette

2022 Pomeroy College Basketball Ratings – Ken Pomeroy – October 13, 2021

..... 87. Marquette

College basketball No. 1-358 rankings: Preseason countdown concludes with top 68 teams for 2021-22 season – Matt Norlander, CBS – October 14, 2021

..... 105. Marquette

Villanova tabbed to win Big East by conference coaches - Associated Press – October 19, 2021

Preseason Big East Coaches Poll

..... 9. Marquette

This very lengthy feature article by Myron Medcalf is well worth a read:

'We're going to try to go after it': Shaka Smart is ready to win again at Marquette - Myron Medcalf, ESPN - October 22, 2021
On a sultry August day, Marquette's new head coach, Shaka Smart, stood outside the Al McGuire Center, the team's practice facility, and surveyed the scene. Cars whizzed by the private Jesuit university in downtown Milwaukee as first-year students in masks stared in confusion at campus maps and grappled with directions in their new surroundings.

Smart, who arrived at the Big East school in March after six seasons at Texas, is not unlike those freshmen. Although he grew up in the town of Oregon, Wisconsin, about 90 miles west of Milwaukee, he's still finding his way around his new town. He's proud that he and his wife, Maya, have found the right school for their daughter, Zora. His search for good restaurants near campus has also paid off.

"I'm a big seafood guy," Smart said. "So St. Paul Fish Company is a spot I've enjoyed many times."

A decade ago, the nation embraced a then-33-year-old, energized prodigy, who in his second season at VCU led the 11th-seeded Rams to the Final Four in 2011. It seemed Smart might be destined to become one of the coaching legends he admired, like UCLA's John Wooden. After his success at VCU, Illinois wanted him. He said no. UCLA reportedly made him an offer after firing Ben Howland. Smart said no, then signed an extension to stay at VCU.

Read on...

======================================================================================================================================
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:28 pm

What a Day!!! 29 OCT 2021. Glory Hallelujia! The MECCA Posters have Arrived!!!

My Mecca posters arrived today. My sister has had them since Jan. 2020 - - she finally Fedex'd them

The MECCA! The floor is more famous than the arena - rightfully so!! If I had the dinars - I'd buy that damned floor!

The MECCA Floor

Bob Indiana

A Great Day in ol' Git's run.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby MUPanther » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:00 pm

Great arena! I'll be there on Saturday.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:13 am

2) Monday Night Gavitt Tip-Off Games 11/15/21 - HLOH thread
On Sunday November 14, 2021, MUPanther wrote:
AP #11 Illinois @ Marquette, Monday, 7:00, FS1 - Line: Illinois -8.5

Illinois vs. Marquette odds, line: 2021 college basketball picks, Nov. 15 predictions from proven model - CBS Sports Staff – November 15, 2021
SportsLine's model has released its CBB picks for Marquette vs. Illinois in the 2021 Gavitt Tipoff Games

The SportsLine Projection Model simulates every Div. I college basketball game 10,000 times. Now, the model has set its sights on Marquette vs. Illinois and just locked in its picks and CBB predictions. You can visit SportsLine now to see the model's picks. Here are the college basketball lines and trends for Illinois vs. Marquette: Illinois vs. Marquette spread: Illinois -8.5.

Marquette Upsets #11 Illinois In WILD Fashion – youtube video (2 min 53 sec) – November 15, 2021

Marquette topples No. 10 Illinois, 67-66, in Gavitt Tipoff Games – Marquette University – November 15, 2021
A Tyler Kolek layup with 18 seconds left proved to be the difference

MILWAUKEE
- The Marquette University men's basketball team toppled No. 10 Illinois, 67-66, at Fiserv Forum on Monday in the Gavitt Tipoff Games.

The Fighting Illini led by as many as 12 with ten minutes to play in the second half, but MU held them scoreless for the final 3:04 of the game. MU trailed 65-57 with 5:33 left on a Coleman Hawkins dunk. That was U of I's final field goal as MU scored 10 of the final 11 points down the stretch for the win.

Guard Tyler Kolek scored the game-winning basket on layup with 18 seconds to go, and the Golden Eagle defense forced a last-second turnover to pick up the win.
Darryl Morsell paced Marquette (3-0, 0-0 BIG EAST) with 21 points, while Justin Lewis added 17 points. Kolek totaled a team-high five assists in the contest in addition to five rebounds.

The victory marks Marquette's 128th all-time victory over an Associated Press Top-25 team, and the 49th over a top-10 team at the time of the meeting. The Golden Eagles' last win over a top-10 team came on Dec. 15, 2020 when MU toppled No. 9 Creighton, 89-84.

Late steal gives Marquette a 67-66 win over No. 10 Illinois – Associated Press/ESPN – November 15, 2021
MILWAUKEE -- — Tyler Kolek didn't know if he'd be healthy enough to play Monday.

He ended up delivering the biggest play of the night to give coach Shaka Smart his first signature victory at Marquette. Kolek converted a steal into a go-ahead layup with 18 seconds left and Marquette forced 26 turnovers for a 67-66 comeback victory over No. 10 Illinois.

Congratulations on a great win! I think my fellow Warriors' fans are going to like Shaka Smart. I have for a long time, as he is an excellent coach.

Fieldhouse Flyer

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board