UConn Smoke

The home for Big East hoops

Re: UConn smoke

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:47 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:
ProprietyofLeyluken wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:My guess is that they are (in no particular order): UConn, Davidson, Dayton, Saint Louis.

If UConn was really on that list, they'd already be in.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that, doesn't make any more true. The BE holds all the leverage here, we won't expand unless it is an absolute is a homerun deal for us. Truth is, and you know it, UConn needs the BE much, much more than the BE needs UConn, fact.

If Fox said that the Big East needs to add UConn, UConn will be in the Big East..... Period, end of story.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:58 pm

UConn football is a loser. Last I checked they required almost $30 million a year in student subsidies and that was before the BE money dried out. The real question isn't if UConn joins the Big East but when. Realignment will happen during the next TV negotiations and UConn will inevitably be left out of the P5 (or P4 by then) and will then return. So next year or 5 years from now. Its really just a matter of time.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby REDMEN1415 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:18 pm

"UConn needs the BE much, much more than the BE needs UConn, fact."

Yes, that's true.
So they can use the B.E., get great again (thanks to the B.E., when a bigger conf wants them, they'll leave in a heartbeat.

I don't give a shit about the B.E, they tried leave the old B.E. twice, trust me, they'd leave the new B.E. the first chance they get.

Maybe some B.E. fans like being used, I know I don't
REDMEN1415

Postby Westbrook#36 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:59 pm

First off, no P5 conference wants them with their crappy football, so that ain't happening. Secondly, that's why you charge them a huge exit fee if they do come crawling back. Maybe some BE fans are afraid of some more competition, I know I'm not.
Westbrook#36

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:29 pm

Literally no downside to adding UConn.

What if they leave? Bon voyage! We get a huge exit fee and invest more.

They will steal recruits! They will recruit well with Hurley either way. They already steal some.

They're public and have more money and influence as a FBS school! They are losing money because of football, they'd be 1/11 schools in the extreme minority, and who cares about the profile being private and catholic? It's about results and $.

Will we even get more money per school if we add them? Yes, obviously.

The only "arguments" against them are emotional ones that wish them ill. Would you rather make more money and get more competitive as a conference, or be able to stick your tongue out at them?
MullinMayhem

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:40 pm

Good dialogue Gumby and Bluejay. Not being clouded by sentimentalism nor historical bias...I too miss playing S'cuse, L'ville, and Cincy. Of course my Jays have only had the privilege 3 times each. Something about not being able to dodge lil Creighton in the NCAAs. Which brings Gtwn & Nova readily to mind, but those were different days & times.

As you know I am pro-private schools, The Zags & SLU would be good enough (1st round expansion) for me. Notwithstanding the Pres' may be moved more by money than privacy. Bluejay makes the good point- show me the money. I am of the opinion that the presidents value their relative privacy from intrusive government noseyness and excessive reporting requirements. What's the use in being private if you're required to tell your business. However, money talks and if Fox ups the ante, then UConn or other public school will get consideration, if that's what moves the Pres's needle, If Fox opens talks of significant increases in dinars, I can change my opinions.

Someone (in this or other thread) said FOIA will trigger notifications if any public school begins negotiating with the BE. Thus far the public school blather is solely speculation.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:00 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:
Someone (in this or other thread) said FOIA will trigger notifications if any public school begins negotiating with the BE. Thus far the public school blather is solely speculation.

Generally, FOIA requests require 15-25 business day turn around times. I'm not sure I've ever seen a FOIA request denial litigated that concerned negotiations. If negotiations between public agencies and 3rd parties (contracting, SOFA with foreign host countries etc...) it would several hamper the ability for public schools/agencies/entities to negotiate in good faith. Courts would likely find that the government/state's interest in preserving the ability to negotiate privately over the public's right in disclosure.

There are FOIA restrictions, like I could FOIA my own Clearance investigations I had while in the military. My friend did his as well, but they're also restricted to other people (obviously due to privacy concerns, and the public's right to know is low). I'd be curious if anyone here has heard of a case where a public school's negotiating with a private school or entity has resulted in forced FOIA disclosures. It'd actually be a good legal article for me to write.

I think the whole public/private disclosure angle is overblown - but I'm admittedly biased. If negotiations could be FOIA'd, we'd be seeing a ton of requests right now for several rumors (like Texas, Oklahoma heading to the B1G; or UCF's apparent possible B12 candidacy).
Gopher+RamFan

Postby Xudash » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:13 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:Literally no downside to adding UConn.

What if they leave? Bon voyage! We get a huge exit fee and invest more.

They will steal recruits! They will recruit well with Hurley either way. They already steal some.

They're public and have more money and influence as a FBS school! They are losing money because of football, they'd be 1/11 schools in the extreme minority, and who cares about the profile being private and catholic? It's about results and $.

Will we even get more money per school if we add them? Yes, obviously.

The only "arguments" against them are emotional ones that wish them ill. Would you rather make more money and get more competitive as a conference, or be able to stick your tongue out at them?

I would rather make more money and be more competitive as a conference. Bring them in.

Let them contribute NCAAT UNITS, TV money and publicity.

We don't need to stick our tongues out at them. I'll enjoy some of their FOOTBALL AT All COSTS fans down through time as they realize their belief that the BE and private schools are not viable long-term simply were proven wrong.

UCONN football? Not since the crippled Bismarck came within the range of the King George V guns has something been so primed to burn and sink. Seriously, I would feel sorry for some of them if they weren't so stupid about the viability of the BE and it's ten members.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Hoopfan » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:08 pm

Gopher+RamFan wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:

Generally, FOIA requests require 15-25 business day turn around times. I'm not sure I've ever seen a FOIA request denial litigated that concerned negotiations. If negotiations between public agencies and 3rd parties (contracting, SOFA with foreign host countries etc...) it would several hamper the ability for public schools/agencies/entities to negotiate in good faith. Courts would likely find that the government/state's interest in preserving the ability to negotiate privately over the public's right in disclosure.

There are FOIA restrictions, like I could FOIA my own Clearance investigations I had while in the military. My friend did his as well, but they're also restricted to other people (obviously due to privacy concerns, and the public's right to know is low). I'd be curious if anyone here has heard of a case where a public school's negotiating with a private school or entity has resulted in forced FOIA disclosures. It'd actually be a good legal article for me to write.

I think the whole public/private disclosure angle is overblown - but I'm admittedly biased. If negotiations could be FOIA'd, we'd be seeing a ton of requests right now for several rumors (like Texas, Oklahoma heading to the B1G; or UCF's apparent possible B12 candidacy).

I worked in a government agency very closely with foia dept and they were sued and required to release info multiple,e times when it probably should have been sealed. However, it ended up pretty heavily redacted. So who knows what we would find out
Hoopfan

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:31 am

I'd imagine the FOIA aspect is incredibly small. Yes the Big East are all private schools. But any school (public or private) is riddled with government regulation and paperwork. I am sure they are used to it by now.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board